Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When will the global economy next crash? Are banks making the same mistakes again? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just got back from watching The Big Short at the cinema- the film about the 2008 financial crisis.

If you haven't watched it (it was only released in the UK yesterday) then it's basically following a few separate groups of guys who worked out the Housing Market was a bubble and it was about to crash, so they bet against it. I'm not gonna go in to too much detail as I don't want to spoiler the film for anyone!

In a nutshell, the film presented the factors that led to the bubble-Greedy banks, greedy individuals, regulators turning a blind eye, people not knowing what they had signed up for with adjustable interest rate mortgages etc. And only a few people saw it coming and one of the main themes is that anyone could have seen it coming, if they had only bothered to look.

Right at the end of the film it mentioned how in 2015, banks were starting to sell 'Bespoke tranche opportunities' which allows investors to place wagers on the outcome of various loans, bonds, and securities in which they are not directly invested. Similar to the kind of stuff that contributed to the 08 situation.

Basically, my question is, is another crash as big as 08 inevitable? If so, when do you think it will happen? Should banks that were bailed out before by governments be bailed out again if they go bankrupt?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.