Morality: Does it even exist?

Watch this thread
Dopesmoker
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Can mod move this to philosophy

So I think I have a pretty standard life as most people in the West (work Mon - Fri, spend time with friends on weekend, rinse, repeat), and one thing I've come to realise is that there isnt really actually much scope in my life for morality, as in I'm rarely in situations where I have to make moral decisions / demonstrate my moral beliefs.

So was just curious what are some of the key moral beliefs people on here have, and if there's actually ever been situations where you've chosen to be moral (or immoral)?
abitpissy
Badges: 14
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Meh. I bought 4 red Velvelt cupcakes, they were supposed to cost around £4. The man put it in the wrong packaging and I saw at self service that it costed 15p. I could have gone back and been a nice moral person. However after consulting with my friend, I didn't.

It haunts me to this very day.:sigh:

Ps sorry Sainsburys

I was young and stupid mkay?

Is this not a situation where you must face a moral decision?
Indeterminate
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
My moral beliefs are fairly simple

- I'm against anything that would be/is of detriment to members of the human race; in particular, anything that would cause (or is presently causing) suffering or distress;
- I'm pro-justice, and I hold a firm stance against inequality, discrimination and prejudice (all of which relate to injustice); and
- I believe it is best to set an example by being kind and considerate to create a better world for others, for it would be immoral to exhibit behaviour with scant regard for the feelings of those around you.

And I'm always conscious of how my behaviour relates to these values, all of which I hold so dearly
Andy98
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I think I'm a bot :/ - my moral code is hauntingly similar to Asimov's laws

Posted from TSR Mobile
Straighthate
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Indeterminate)
My moral beliefs are fairly simple

- I'm against anything that would be/is of detriment to members of the human race; in particular, anything that would cause (or is presently causing) suffering or distress;
- I'm pro-justice, and I hold a firm stance against inequality, discrimination and prejudice (all of which relate to injustice); and
- I believe it is best to set an example by being kind and considerate to create a better world for others, for it would be immoral to exhibit behaviour with scant regard for the feelings of those around you.

And I'm always conscious of how my behaviour relates to these values, all of which I hold so dearly
what about kindness to animals?
all your ethics mean nothing if you eat animal products

as meat eaters, we are all terrible people
Dopesmoker
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Can mod move this to philosophy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (8)
24.24%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (10)
30.3%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (2)
6.06%
Speaking to staff members from universities (0)
0%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (3)
9.09%
Reading articles about what steps to take (6)
18.18%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
6.06%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
6.06%

Watched Threads