The Student Room Group

Constant feeling of misery and failure

I feel like such a failure. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. I've been feeling so down and like absolute and utter **** for the past few weeks.

It's affecting my studies detrimentally. I don't even think I'll meet my university requirements. Even though going to my dream university and doing my dream course should be a motivation for me, it's not. The only thing I ever want to do is sleep, and not because I'm tired, but because I hate feeling so miserable. I just want to cry all the time. I'm not happy with anything about myself - physically, mentally and now academically.

Can someone advise me how I can put aside (if not get rid of) this constant feeling of misery and failure?
It's a common problem that a lot of young people go through so you're definitely not alone or a failure for that matter! It sounds like you may be going through a pretty serious issue at the moment and I would strongly advise you to speak to your gp, your family and/or someone at your school so they can help you get through this. For now though, please remember that these thoughts are not true reflections of who you actually are and that you'll get past this :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by Blondie987
It's a common problem that a lot of young people go through so you're definitely not alone or a failure for that matter! It sounds like you may be going through a pretty serious issue at the moment and I would strongly advise you to speak to your gp, your family and/or someone at your school so they can help you get through this. For now though, please remember that these thoughts are not true reflections of who you actually are and that you'll get past this :redface:

I don't really feel comfortable sharing this with anyone else. I refuse to go to a GP in any case. I just want to change my attitude and just stop feeling so down. I have no reason to feel like this. Thanks though
Original post by Anonymous
I don't really feel comfortable sharing this with anyone else. I refuse to go to a GP in any case. I just want to change my attitude and just stop feeling so down. I have no reason to feel like this. Thanks though

I understand where you're coming from but I have been in the exact same position and it's not healthy to keep it bottled up, even just talking can help relieve some of the stress. In my experience positive thing and cbt are very effective. Remember that you deserve to be happy and that these feelings aren't your own. This too shall pass
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like such a failure. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. I've been feeling so down and like absolute and utter **** for the past few weeks.

It's affecting my studies detrimentally. I don't even think I'll meet my university requirements. Even though going to my dream university and doing my dream course should be a motivation for me, it's not. The only thing I ever want to do is sleep, and not because I'm tired, but because I hate feeling so miserable. I just want to cry all the time. I'm not happy with anything about myself - physically, mentally and now academically.

Can someone advise me how I can put aside (if not get rid of) this constant feeling of misery and failure?

Can you think of any reason this may have been triggered? That is an important step. Try looking up different types of meditation and theraputic techniques online. Mindfulness and CBT spring to mind.

Are you comfortable talking to anyone? Friends, family, uni support centre? Even if it's just an online forum (there is the Mental Health Support Society on TSR). Samaritans offer an anonymous email service or you could even consider seeing a counselor.

General advice is usually if you feel like this for over two weeks for no obvious reason to see a doctor. I know you are uncomfortable with that. Why?
It's nothing to be embarassed about because they see people for this sort of thing all the time.

To me it sounds like you could be having a depressive episode. It is very common especially at uni. They can pass (but usually only with at least some degree of help or support) and don't mean you have depression. I'd suggest you see a doctor, but if you aren't ready that's fine. There is loads of advice online like at mind.org and you can get support from forums like on here if you aren't comfortable talking to anybody else yet.

Just be aware of if it is getting worse and don't push yourself too much. Maybe tell your lecturers you have a virus so you can take a couple of days to relax and get your thoughts in order. If you are struggling then you can go see your student support centre. They will help you as much as they can and you don't necisarily have to tell them everything if you arent comfortable.

From somebody who has been where you are, it does get better. Maybe it will take a while but it can and will get better so until then just be kind to yourself and give yourself some slack. It's okay to have moments like this and does not make you any less of an amazing person.

Quick Reply

Latest