Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B926 - Claimant Bill 2016 Watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    B926 - Claimant Bill 2016, The Hon hazzer1998 MP
    Claimant Bill 2015
    A Bill to make the process of claiming benefits more rigorous and to introduce restrictions on when and how can claim benefits

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

(1) Job seeker's allowance
    1) To claim job seekers allowance a person shall now have to
    (i) be unemployed for 3 months
    (ii) Prove they are still actively looking for work
    2) If after 3 months of claiming job seekers allowance they have not found some form of paid work they will have to accept paid work organised by the job center they are registered to .
    (3) If they refuse the paid work by the job center their benefit payment will stop

(2) Child Benefit
    1) To claim child benefit parents will have to claim it within 2 months of the child's birth
    (i)The parents will not be able to claim child benefit after 2 months of the child's birth
    2) Child benefit will be restricted to 2 children unless
    (i) The mother has already had a child and is expecting twins in her 2nd pregnancy
    (ii) The mother has 2 children already and is made pregnant after sexual assault

(3)Income Support
    1) To claim income support the claimant must
    (i) Earn less than £18,000 a year
    (ii) Must be in work for 1 year before claiming
    (iii) They are working less than 16 hours a week
    2) If they have a pay rise that bring their total income to over £19,000 a year they will no longer be entitled to claim income support

(4) Council tax reduction benefit
    1) To claim council tax reduction benefit claimants claimants must
    (i) Must of lived in the council property for 1 year
    (ii) Must be earning a income of less than £18,000 a year
    (iii) The council property must be in a suitable condition that meets the councils requirements
    2) Council tax reduction will be set at no more than 20% of the tax itself

(5) Housing benefit
    1) Tenants of a rented property can claim a reduction in rent to the landlord if they
    (i) Have an income of less than £18,000 a year
    (ii) They have lived in the rented property for more than 1 year
    (iii)The property must be in suitable condition as requested by the landlord
    (iv) The reduction will be at no more than 20% of the current rent price
    (2) If a claimant claims this benefit the landlord must give them the reduction in the rent

(6) Commencement, short title and extent
    (1) This Act may be cited as the claimant 2016.
    (2) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.

(3) This Act comes into force on the 1st September 2016 .

Notes
    Spoiler:
    Show

This bill makes the claiming of benefits more rigorous and it places certain restrictions on how and when people can claim benefits . it also prevents peoples claiming benefits straight away ( i.e when moving into a new job or council property . if also prevents school / college/ uni leavers claiming benefits as soon as they leave school / college / university

Job seekers allowance

Job seekers must accept paid work organised by the job center they are registered to if they don't their benefits will stop

Housing / council benefits

This prevents council or landlord residents claiming reduction of their rent / tax as soon as they move in

Child Benefits

This is restricted to 2 children . parents must claim within 2 months or the child being born
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I read 1.1 and it made my mind up. What are people meant to do for the 3 months they are unemployed whilst not able to claim even though they are looking for a job?

(1) Job seeker's allowance
    1) To claim job seekers allowance a person shall now have to
    (i) be unemployed for 3 months
    (ii) Prove they are still actively looking for work
    2) If after 3 months of claiming job seekers allowance they have not found some form of paid work they will have to accept paid work organised by the job center they are registered to .
    (3) If they refuse the paid work by the job center their benefit payment will stop
    I can't support workfare at all.

(2) Child Benefit
    1) To claim child benefit parents will have to claim it within 2 months of the child's birth
    (i)The parents will not be able to claim child benefit after 2 months of the child's birth
    2) Child benefit will be restricted to 2 children unless
    (i) The mother has already had a child and is expecting twins in her 2nd pregnancy
    (ii) The mother has 2 children already and is made pregnant after sexual assault
    The Government is legislating for this in the budget, with Child Benefit capped at 3 Children.

(3)Income Support
    1) To claim income support the claimant must
    (i) Earn less than £18,000 a year
    (ii) Must be in work for 1 year before claiming
    (iii) They are working less than 16 hours a week
    2) If they have a pay rise that bring their total income to over £19,000 a year they will no longer be entitled to claim income support
    What is a claimant meant to do for the year they are in work without being able to claim? This clearly isn't well-thought out. I urge you to scrap 3.1.ii

I urge all members to vote against this bill should it reach Division in its current form. It will hit those that are the least fortunate in our country.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye, introducing restriction to pay benefits to only British citizens would be welcomed by me but this bill is a start.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nope, nope, nopity nope.

Too many reasons to list

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nay, repugnant Bill, not to mention all the logic/formatting errors.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Aye, introducing restriction to pay benefits to only British citizens would be welcomed by me but this bill is a start.
    So you support stopping those being paid the lowest amount in society from receiving income support for their hard work and low wage for an entire year? I'm glad to see UKIP are on the side of the working people....

ReputationRep:
    hazzer1998 Are you sure you don't want to leave the party and become an Independent MP? :laugh:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    We have council tax reduction benefit to reduce people's non-existent council taxes. Hmmm... nay.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    So you support stopping those being paid the lowest amount in society from receiving income support for their hard work and low wage for an entire year? I'm glad to see UKIP are on the side of the working people....
    There are changes to be made but savings can be used to support the person in that year when benefits cannot be claimed. After the budget the Liberal have supported where a regressive tax is going to be introduced on things needed for survival the Liberals are hardly a party of the working people.

ReputationRep:
    Lol no

ReputationRep:
    No
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    There are changes to be made but savings can be used to support the person in that year when benefits cannot be claimed. After the budget the Liberal have supported where a regressive tax is going to be introduced on things needed for survival the Liberals are hardly a party of the working people.
    But you're still prepared to support this bill in its current form, which will leave people unable to get by in life for an entire year?

We've supported a Sugar Tax, yes. It was pledged in our manifesto and we stand by it. However, having the price of unhealthy foods slightly increased will not lead to people being unable to cope financially like this bill will. Furthermore, the tax in question will help discourage unhealthy eating and encourage people to seek out healthier food items.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No!!!!

Also council tax no longer exists so hazar hasn't done his due diligence.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    But you're still prepared to support this bill in its current form, which will leave people unable to get by in life for an entire year?

We've supported a Sugar Tax, yes. It was pledged in our manifesto and we stand by it. However, having the price of unhealthy foods slightly increased will not lead to people being unable to cope financially like this bill will. Furthermore, the tax in question will help discourage unhealthy eating and encourage people to seek out healthier food items.
    People can use savings to survive for the year, use tax credits, budget more carefully, or rely on charity; I am not convinced restricting income support will be a disastrous policy with people ending up on the streets. Health organisations recommending a daily sugar intake proves sugar is needed by humans as part of a balanced diet, the sugar tax made no exemptions for sugary foods which are considered healthier than other sugary foods; poor people will be hit hard by the tax which punishes poor people for buying something the poor people need.

ReputationRep:
    Nay
    1) You cant claim child benefit after two months of being born???
    2)People have to wait a year for income support
    3)3 months on job seekers allowance to find work is not fair, I would extend it to at least 6 months
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    People can use savings to survive for the year, use tax credits, budget more carefully, or rely on charity; I am not convinced restricting income support will be a disastrous policy with people ending up on the streets. Health organisations recommending a daily sugar intake proves sugar is needed by humans as part of a balanced diet, the sugar tax made no exemptions for sugary foods which are considered healthier than other sugary foods; poor people will be hit hard by the tax which punishes poor people for buying something the poor people need.
    People shouldn't have to rely on charity or their own savings just to get by and make ends meet. After all, that's what income support is for. I honestly don't think "they can budget more carefully" is a good enough excuse for stopping people claiming income support for an entire year when the only reason they are claiming is because they need it.

I don't think we're here to debate the sugar tax. However, the fact is that firstly, the sugar tax will bring in revenue that can be put into things like welfare. An extra billion into the NHS wouldn't go amiss either. Secondly, less people will obviously go out and buy lots of high sugar content foods, which means less people become diabetic, become obese or need treatment on their teeth, which ultimately saves the NHS money and can be re-distributed elsewhere. This means that more money can be put into helping those at the bottom get a step up, whilst also being able to live a healthy lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    Nay, simple as
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

Just nay.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    People shouldn't have to rely on charity or their own savings just to get by and make ends meet. After all, that's what income support is for. I honestly don't think "they can budget more carefully" is a good enough excuse for stopping people claiming income support for an entire year when the only reason they are claiming is because they need it.

I don't think we're here to debate the sugar tax. However, the fact is that firstly, the sugar tax will bring in revenue that can be put into things like welfare. An extra billion into the NHS wouldn't go amiss either. Secondly, less people will obviously go out and buy lots of high sugar content foods, which means less people become diabetic, become obese or need treatment on their teeth, which ultimately saves the NHS money and can be re-distributed elsewhere. This means that more money can be put into helping those at the bottom get a step up, whilst also being able to live a healthy lifestyle.
    I do not believe the people at the very bottom are managing their budgets as efficiently as a budget could be managed, their are always savings to be made to cover for a fall in income. I disagree about savings, the very reason for savings is to have emergency funds to use when there is a drop in income; the savings should be used.

If the sugar tax works in Britain there may be some positive effects, but the same effects could be achieved by legislation on the amount of sugar companies are allowed to include in products. Legislating on the sugar in food products stops a regressive tax being imposed on the poor, it reduces sugar consumption which reduces diabetes, and it saves the NHS resources.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I do not believe the people at the very bottom are managing their budgets as efficiently as a budget could be managed, their are always savings to be made to cover for a fall in income. I disagree about savings, the very reason for savings is to have emergency funds to use when there is a drop in income; the savings should be used.

If the sugar tax works in Britain there may be some positive effects, but the same effects could be achieved by legislation on the amount of sugar companies are allowed to include in products. Legislating on the sugar in food products stops a regressive tax being imposed on the poor, it reduces sugar consumption which reduces diabetes, and it saves the NHS resources.
    I'm not exactly sure how much savings someone on that low an income will have. Surely not enough to last an entire year. Surely we should be giving people a helping hand and reward them for working hard even though they are on a low wage by giving them the support they actually need. Lowering the amount available or lowering the maximum income claimants can have would have been more acceptable proposals, though I wouldn't have supported them either.

I feel that you have a point here, and I will look into it.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.