Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B926 - Claimant Bill 2016 Watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Mr Speaker
    I would like to explain this bill in more detail as there is some confusion.
    Income support and job seekers allowance
    The changes to income support mainly targets school , collage and university leaver's . when they leave education they will be going into their career or looking for their 1st job . during the 3 months after they left education they would of been expected to be in paid training for their career or in paid work . after 3 months they can claim JSA . why should they taxpayer have to pay someone JSA as soon as they leave education? however if someone is in work and they are made redundant or they are sacked then they have the ir wages from their previous job to fail back on and the company has to pay them for a full months of work which is already in law
    Income support
    This targets people already In work
    the requirements are
    (I) Earn under £18,000 per year
    (ii) In work for over a year
    As already said this bill makes the benefit claiming system more rigorous and adds more restrictions
    Child benefit
    - Capped at 2 children
    - Parent must claim it WITHIN 2 months of the child being born
    Council Tax reduction
    Tenants' must of lived in the council property for a year before claiming any reduction on their council tax which will be reduced by no more than 20%
    Mr speaker
    As already said this bill changes the welfare state and adds restrictions on how and when people can claim certain benefits. The government should not be a rolling " dole " machine and work must pay . With the increase in the national living wage peoples wages are increasing and wages will continue to rise
    And I commend this statement to the house
    You haven't justified people waiting a whole year for Income Support. You're trying to do this out of ideological belief rather than any rational thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    You haven't justified people waiting a whole year for Income Support. You're trying to do this out of ideological belief rather than any rational thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So it's justfired that people who leave education can claim benefits literally as soon as the leave education. under labour benefits were not capped . When I believe benefits should be capped as much as possible
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    So it's justfired that people who leave education can claim benefits literally as soon as the leave education. under labour benefits were not capped . When I believe benefits should be capped as much as possible
    That means ending benefits.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Yes it is. If I leave Education after years and years of hardwork. but I can't get a high-paying job, I take a low-paying one instead. But then, I can't cope and I can't make ends so I need a little bit of extra help from the state whilst I work hard at my low-paying job. Maybe it's a job that starts off with low pay and increases year on year? I need that support for my low paying job straight away, otherwise I'm stuck and relying on family, friends and whatever little savings I have to get by for an entire year. This money that I'm going to give back through taxes over my life. You're crippling the least well off in society. I'm sure they'll thank you for that. I hope you're never in their position.

Also, it's your bill. You're the one that should be justifying the change, rather than I justifying the status quo. Answer the question. What justifies people waiting a whole year for income support?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, some people in this country exploit the benefit system. It is the actions of just a few individuals that could potentially ruin everything for others. I do not think a total reform of the system would be fair. After all, some people rely on benefits to feed their families and keep warm. I would be in favour of slightly tighter restrictions though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    That means ending benefits.
    I wouldn't want to end benefits although but if we limit who has them then it would make the welfare state smaller which is a good thing as less people would rely on the government for money all the time ....
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want to end benefits although but if we limit who has them then it would make the welfare state smaller which is a good thing as less people would rely on the government for money all the time ....
    So you don't want them capped as much as possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    B926 - Claimant Bill 2016, The Hon hazzer1998 MP
    Claimant Bill 2015
    A Bill to make the process of claiming benefits more rigorous and to introduce restrictions on when and how can claim benefits

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

(1) Job seeker's allowance
    1) To claim job seekers allowance a person shall now have to
    (i) be unemployed for 3 months
    (ii) Prove they are still actively looking for work
    2) If after 3 months of claiming job seekers allowance they have not found some form of paid work they will have to accept paid work organised by the job center they are registered to .
    (3) If they refuse the paid work by the job center their benefit payment will stop

(2) Child Benefit
    1) To claim child benefit parents will have to claim it within 2 months of the child's birth
    (i)The parents will not be able to claim child benefit after 2 months of the child's birth
    2) Child benefit will be restricted to 2 children unless
    (i) The mother has already had a child and is expecting twins in her 2nd pregnancy
    (ii) The mother has 2 children already and is made pregnant after sexual assault

(3)Income Support
    1) To claim income support the claimant must
    (i) Earn less than £18,000 a year
    (ii) Must be in work for 1 year before claiming
    (iii) They are working less than 16 hours a week
    2) If they have a pay rise that bring their total income to over £19,000 a year they will no longer be entitled to claim income support

(4) Council tax reduction benefit
    1) To claim council tax reduction benefit claimants claimants must
    (i) Must of lived in the council property for 1 year
    (ii) Must be earning a income of less than £18,000 a year
    (iii) The council property must be in a suitable condition that meets the councils requirements
    2) Council tax reduction will be set at no more than 20% of the tax itself

(5) Housing benefit
    1) Tenants of a rented property can claim a reduction in rent to the landlord if they
    (i) Have an income of less than £18,000 a year
    (ii) They have lived in the rented property for more than 1 year
    (iii)The property must be in suitable condition as requested by the landlord
    (iv) The reduction will be at no more than 20% of the current rent price
    (2) If a claimant claims this benefit the landlord must give them the reduction in the rent

(6) Commencement, short title and extent
    (1) This Act may be cited as the claimant 2016.
    (2) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.

(3) This Act comes into force on the 1st September 2016 .

Notes
    Spoiler:
    Show

This bill makes the claiming of benefits more rigorous and it places certain restrictions on how and when people can claim benefits . it also prevents peoples claiming benefits straight away ( i.e when moving into a new job or council property . if also prevents school / college/ uni leavers claiming benefits as soon as they leave school / college / university

Job seekers allowance

Job seekers must accept paid work organised by the job center they are registered to if they don't their benefits will stop

Housing / council benefits

This prevents council or landlord residents claiming reduction of their rent / tax as soon as they move in

Child Benefits

This is restricted to 2 children . parents must claim within 2 months or the child being born
    This bill is a perfect illustration of why we should replace most means-tested benefits with the basic income. The amount of bureaucracy required for the current benefits system is utterly ludicrous and self-defeating
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Yes. Yes it is. If I leave Education after years and years of hardwork. but I can't get a high-paying job, I take a low-paying one instead. But then, I can't cope and I can't make ends so I need a little bit of extra help from the state whilst I work hard at my low-paying job. Maybe it's a job that starts off with low pay and increases year on year? I need that support for my low paying job straight away, otherwise I'm stuck and relying on family, friends and whatever little savings I have to get by for an entire year. This money that I'm going to give back through taxes over my life. You're crippling the least well off in society. I'm sure they'll thank you for that. I hope you're never in their position.

Also, it's your bill. You're the one that should be justifying the change, rather than I justifying the status quo. Answer the question. What justifies people waiting a whole year for income support?
    Yes it is Justfired . Students should not leave education and then automatically start to claim benefits...... if I wanted to I could easier send this to a second Reading and make it even harder to claim benefits.... This is quite sensible and justfired . why should the taxpayer continue to pay for people on JSA who don't brother looking for work ? or why should the taxpayer pay for someone to have 10 children? That way this bill limits it to 2 children. ... I could of added further restrictions to child benefit such as " to claim child benefit then parents must be earning less than £25,000 per year ....
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a noble chance)
    This bill is a perfect illustration of why we should replace most means-tested benefits with the basic income. The amount of bureaucracy required for the current benefits system is utterly ludicrous and self-defeating
    I do actually agree with you about a basic income. But more for the social benifits then the economic ones.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So you don't want them capped as much as possible
    Cap them as much as possible without scapping them altogether .
    Added more restrictions , requirements etc

ReputationRep:
    Nay
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is Justfired . Students should not leave education and then automatically start to claim benefits...... if I wanted to I could easier send this to a second Reading and make it even harder to claim benefits.... This is quite sensible and justfired . why should the taxpayer continue to pay for people on JSA who don't brother looking for work ? or why should the taxpayer pay for someone to have 10 children? That way this bill limits it to 2 children. ... I could of added further restrictions to child benefit such as " to claim child benefit then parents must be earning less than £25,000 per year ....
    Let's face it, this bill is going to fail in its current form. If you make it even more stringent, it is even more likely to fail. None of this is sensible or justified. Let's take your arguments one at a time:

Firstly, you still haven't justified why people that need it have to wait a whole year for income support? What about those that aren't students?

Where have I stated that the taxpayer should give people JSA when they aren't looking for work? Oh right - I haven't. People that are looking for work should be able to claim JSA while they're looking for work, and shouldn't have to be looking for work for three whole months before they can claim. JSA helps people get to job interviews and opportunities by giving people the money to pay for travel. You'll potentially be stopping people from getting to job interviews and opportunities if they cannot afford to travel to them.

Again, where have I said that the taxpayer should pay for 10 children? The Government is introducing a 3 child cap and I completely stand by that.

If this bill is your idea of a pragmatic compromise then I really don't want to see what your actual full view is, because I assure you, most of the house will see it as completely horrendous and simply crippling the people that are the least well off in society.

I urge you to withdraw this bill.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a noble chance)
    Not to mention ridiculously unfair.

ReputationRep:
    Nay !!!!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This is in cessation.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    This has been withdrawn

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.