Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

M371 - Motion: Reducing the Use of Plastic and other disposable cups Watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    M371 - Motion: Reducing the Use of Plastic and other disposable cups, TSR Green Party

Motion: Reducing the Use of Plastic and other disposable cups

This House notes that there are an estimated 2.5bn cups thrown away in the UK every year (as reported by Which magazine in 2011), and believes that this waste could be greatly reduced. This follows the example of the plastic bag charge introduced across the UK over the last four years, starting in Wales in 2011 and completed in England in 2015.

This House believes that the reduced use of disposable cups could be achieved by several measures, including cafes and restaurants being obliged to serve beverages to customers drinking on the premises in reusable cups or mugs, anyone being able to bring and use their own cup, and a charge for using a disposable cup (the proceeds of which would go to charity). This House notes that reusable cups with lids and flasks can provide a sealed receptacle to avoid spills or injury.

This House notes that as with the plastic bag charge there would be some exemptions from the measures, for example at large arenas. This House therefore would welcome the introduction of a scheme to reduce the use of disposable cups, with an appropriate charge and some exemptions.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nay - for one, I may start a coffee inside, but want to take it outside. I don't always know if I will do this, and so having a reusable one I can't leave with is just a pain in the ass.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you just submit a bill on the matter? Andy98 barnetlad
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Why didn't you just submit a bill on the matter? Andy98 barnetlad
    We weren't sure how the House would respond to a bill and we wanted to gauge support so that our efforts weren't in vain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No, reusable cups tend to be made from recycled cardboard which can be recycled after use.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    We weren't sure how the House would respond to a bill and we wanted to gauge support so that our efforts weren't in vain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    No, reusable cups tend to be made from recycled cardboard which can be recycled after use.
    Hear hear. Unless there's any evidence to prove this is necessary, I will be voting Nay
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Not much thought is required for this, I'll let you all engage your brains slightly and predict my response, I am rather predictable

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Not much thought is required for this, I'll let you all engage your brains slightly and predict my response, I am rather predictable

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The Strongest of Ayes? A complete ban on all Plastic products?

ReputationRep:
    Nay, just place a heavy tax on coffee to dissuade the Starbucks ******s (this has nothing to do with the environment, just that I hate having to shout at people that this isn't the 1990s and they're not in Friends).
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    So whenever I go to McDonald's to eat in I'll be getting my drink in a glass? (Should likely make it cheaper!)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm not convinced this would be particularly effective.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Knew I should've submitted a motion for the Government to make claiming compensation on delayed rail travel easier! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Nay, just place a heavy tax on coffee to dissuade the Starbucks ******s (this has nothing to do with the environment, just that I hate having to shout at people that this isn't the 1990s and they're not in Friends).
    Bahahaha! Grumpy but funny.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    The cups for hot drinks maybe, but they usually get thrown in the bin after one use (unless shop brought).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Knew I should've submitted a motion for the Government to make claiming compensation on delayed rail travel easier! :rolleyes:
    Meh, you win some, you lose some

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nay
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The cups for hot drinks maybe, but they usually get thrown in the bin after one use (unless shop brought).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think a lot of people do actually try to recycle them - I know if I don't, then it's because there isn't a suitably located recycling bin near enough.

If you want the public to recycle more, it's need to be more convenient than using a rubbish bin. That means, have more recycling bins!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of people do actually try to recycle them - I know if I don't, then it's because there isn't a suitably located recycling bin near enough.

If you want the public to recycle more, it's need to be more convenient than using a rubbish bin. That means, have more recycling bins!
    Half the time they don't even make it to a bin where I live!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Half the time they don't even make it to a bin where I live!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Need more criminals doing community service then
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Need more criminals doing community service then
    Hahaha, it's Grimsby - I'd be surprised if I'm not the only guy there with no criminal record

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.