M371 - Motion: Reducing the Use of Plastic and other disposable cups Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

I really just - don't care.

Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea in theory, idk about practise however. It's good to reduce waste, I'd like to maybe see businesses encouraged to adopt schemes where they charge you less if your bring your own cup/flask and such, and to see disposable cups slowly removed from use in the public sector, encourage staff to bring in their own cups/mugs
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I think a lot of people do actually try to recycle them - I know if I don't, then it's because there isn't a suitably located recycling bin near enough.

If you want the public to recycle more, it's need to be more convenient than using a rubbish bin. That means, have more recycling bins!
    What a lot of people don't realise is just because something is plastic, or whatever does not mean it is recyclable, or at least widely recyclable. What people don't consider is that things will only be recycled if it is economically viable to do so. What people don't realise is that it isn't uncommon for councils to simply take recycling and throw it in the landfill because it is not viable to sort and recycle, not least because unrecylable stuff gets thrown in. There is a reason, for instance, why glass is often collected separately from plastics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of people do actually try to recycle them - I know if I don't, then it's because there isn't a suitably located recycling bin near enough.

If you want the public to recycle more, it's need to be more convenient than using a rubbish bin. That means, have more recycling bins!
    Hear, hear!

ReputationRep:
    No objections to a charge on plastic cups. Out a fair bit but a good shout.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Also correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    No, reusable cups tend to be made from recycled cardboard which can be recycled after use.
    Often with plastic lids.

(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Nay, just place a heavy tax on coffee to dissuade the Starbucks ******s (this has nothing to do with the environment, just that I hate having to shout at people that this isn't the 1990s and they're not in Friends).
    The question of large corporations and their shops taking over the high street, and the tax they don't pay is a legitimate subject for another bill or motion, and I thank the honourable member for reminding me about this.

(Original post by Aph)
    So whenever I go to McDonald's to eat in I'll be getting my drink in a glass? (Should likely make it cheaper!)
    I don't go to McDonalds but see cups and lids left in the street, and often from large portions of sugary drinks. If you could bring your own mug and save 20p I suspect many would, and perhaps have smaller sized drinks.

Recycling is good, reducing use is better.

(Original post by Andy98)
    Hahaha, it's Grimsby - I'd be surprised if I'm not the only guy there with no criminal record

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've not heard any allegations about Grimsby Town FC players, despite their criminal defending at times! (Actually they are in Cleethorpes, so maybe.....)

As Andy98 said, we are looking to gauge the views of the House, and I thank members for their comments so far.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Can the Green Party actually suggest something serious for once?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Nay
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see the emphasis more on encouraging people to bring their own reusable cups, so it's an abstain from me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Like the basis of the idea, don't like it's execution.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I've not heard any allegations about Grimsby Town FC players, despite their criminal defending at times! (Actually they are in Cleethorpes, so maybe.....)

As Andy98 said, we are looking to gauge the views of the House, and I thank members for their comments so far.
    A: they ain't Grimsby lads
    B: you just don't hear about them because they're a small club and it likely happens a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Nay
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Disposable cups do not pose such an environmental hazard as plastic bags. How often do you see a marine creature tangled up in a disposable cup? I am for the prevention of waste but a 5p charge on cups could be interpreted as the government's attempt to make even more money. Remember, the government gets to keep 1p out of the 5p on every plastic bag sold in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit of a feeble effort really.

I think that local council policy nationwide should be made to be modelled on Bristol, which has long been the UK's and briefly even Europe's most environmentally friendly city.

ReputationRep:
    Nay, for the many reasons already stated.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This is in cessation.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    This has been withdrawn

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.