Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What should I do next year? (My 5th Year) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So basically my school has always had complications in giving me the subjects I wanted. I am hopeless at maths, science and most practical work. I had to keep maths and in my school it's prefered to keep a science until 5th year (I chose Biology since it was said to be easiest and the one with the most amount of writing). First, I tried to pick Business at 3rd year but ended up with Accountancy. If I wanted to change that, I'd have to drop Modern Studies and that was not an option for me so I endured it. Hospitality was stressing me so much with the teachers and just that making things isn't a skill of mine. Instead of trying to drop Accounting for my 4th year which was the plan at the start, I tried to drop Hospitality only to end up having to drop French. I asked to drop down to a National 4 Hospitality because I hated the N5 course. So I was stuck with these subjects I didn't like - great!
    This year I want to explain to my guidance that I want Higher English, Higher Modern Studies, Higher Geography, N5 Maths and I reallly want to crash higher History..or P.E
    Can you crash higher at 5th year?
    I really need this to get into university.. I want to be a journalist
    I just don't think it's that fair
    I'm expected an A in English, A in Modern Studies and a A/B in Geography and C's for Accountancy and Biology
    Would History be that hard?
    Thanks in advance sorry I ramble haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloé Robertson)
    So basically my school has always had complications in giving me the subjects I wanted. I am hopeless at maths, science and most practical work. I had to keep maths and in my school it's prefered to keep a science until 5th year (I chose Biology since it was said to be easiest and the one with the most amount of writing). First, I tried to pick Business at 3rd year but ended up with Accountancy. If I wanted to change that, I'd have to drop Modern Studies and that was not an option for me so I endured it. Hospitality was stressing me so much with the teachers and just that making things isn't a skill of mine. Instead of trying to drop Accounting for my 4th year which was the plan at the start, I tried to drop Hospitality only to end up having to drop French. I asked to drop down to a National 4 Hospitality because I hated the N5 course. So I was stuck with these subjects I didn't like - great!
    This year I want to explain to my guidance that I want Higher English, Higher Modern Studies, Higher Geography, N5 Maths and I reallly want to crash higher History..or P.E
    Can you crash higher at 5th year?
    I really need this to get into university.. I want to be a journalist
    I just don't think it's that fair
    I'm expected an A in English, A in Modern Studies and a A/B in Geography and C's for Accountancy and Biology
    Would History be that hard?
    Thanks in advance sorry I ramble haha
    Your 3rd and 4th year seemed like a nightmare :O I was a bit like this, only not as bad. It was in 4th year that I found out what I really wanted to do at Uni and with my life, and I had picked the wrong possible subjects. Which leads me onto saying, If you work extremely hard with your N5's even those you will not need and/or you don't like this will put a huge impression on the teachers. Being in 5th year at the moment, Higher is no joke... The jump is very big and with the SQA making subjects harder (I'm looking at Biology here... they added Adv Higher stuff into the New Higher!) it doesn't help. You can crash subjects, I've crashed 2! Business and Spanish but that's because from my marks they could see I would be able to cope with the course. Have you looked into some Universities to see what the entry requirement is for Journalism? Usually you'll look at what they want and you'll pick those subjects to help get you into those Universities, well that's what I advise you to do. I got an A in N5 English but even with an A you will find Higher English really difficult, so if you want to do Journalism study hard when 5th year starts hahah ^.^ I personally didn't pick History - because I wanted to learn about English, Russia and Eastern Asia's History - but I have a friend who does and she says it is hard and you will be doing a lot of essay answers for exams and you'll need to memorize many facts and figures for those essays. So if you are a very determined and enthusiastic person, then I don't see why you can't ^.^ I hope you have better luck with your subjects this year ^.^

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.