Emma3103
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So the time is coming where I have to pick the subjects I want to study in 6th form. My school offers both IB and A level and I have concluded that I want to base my subjects in the IB next year. I want to study law at one of the top ten unis and was wondering if my subject choices would be okay. I was thinking about doing English lit at higher but I don't think I would enjoy it that much and therefore it would maybe waken my grade, here are the subjects I was thinking of, would they be okay?

Maths studies
French ab
English SL
Geography HL
Biology HL
History HL
francais123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Emma3103)
So the time is coming where I have to pick the subjects I want to study in 6th form. My school offers both IB and A level and I have concluded that I want to base my subjects in the IB next year. I want to study law at one of the top ten unis and was wondering if my subject choices would be okay. I was thinking about doing English lit at higher but I don't think I would enjoy it that much and therefore it would maybe waken my grade, here are the subjects I was thinking of, would they be okay?

Maths studies
French ab
English SL
Geography HL
Biology HL
History HL
I think this is fine, although I would recommend doing English at HL. From what you have shown above, I would suggest:

English Literature HL
History HL
Geography or Biology HL
Maths studies SL
French ab SL
Geography or Biology SL

Law is also a competitive course; to have a very strong chance into getting into a top 10 university, you should ideally be predicted 40 (or more) with 776 (or better) at HL. Best of luck.
AgnesGrey1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
surely for law language adn lite would be better?
Audrey18
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Emma3103)

Maths studies
French ab
English SL
Geography HL
Biology HL
History HL
Start practicing your LNAT at least a year before you take the test. The LNAT is really very difficult. You have to prepare for it at least 6 months prior. If you have a low LNAT score, you can forget about getting into a top UK uni for the law course.
Hamartia
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Honestly, the LNAT isn't that difficult and practising 6 months in advance will not increase your chances. LSE don't require the LNAT and it's in the top 10, nor do Cambridge...
Goglglo2605
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I'm in first year IB (Year 12), I'd also recommend taking Eng Lit at HL I'm Taking:

Eng Lit HL
Spanish HL (I might take law with Spanish)
History HL
Biology SL
Maths Studies SL
Theatre SL

You may want to speak to you college counsellor, DP coordinator or a teacher you respect and who gives valuable advice.
Goglglo2605
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Audrey18)
Start practicing your LNAT at least a year before you take the test. The LNAT is really very difficult. You have to prepare for it at least 6 months prior. If you have a low LNAT score, you can forget about getting into a top UK uni for the law course.
Not all universities offering Law ask for the LNAT even the best ones, Cambridge doesn't, I have a friend who applied in October last year he was only able to apply to Cambridge because Oxford says its compulsory.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (135)
54%
18-20 years old (no) (30)
12%
20-25 years old (yes) (39)
15.6%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.6%
25-30 years old (yes) (18)
7.2%