Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many hours of revision per night? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I just wanted to know how many hours of revision I should be doing per night. All of my subjects are A(S) levels, so inevitably this will bump the grand total up.

I am in the Lower Sixth, doing my AS Levels. Right now I do two hours afterschool, and in my free lessons I study too, but generally do homework. Time afterschool is saved for revision.

Is two hours enough for AS levels? I don't feel to be finding any of them difficult. I mean, I despise media studies, but I don't find it hard.

Two hours, or three hours?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrack)
    Hi,

I just wanted to know how many hours of revision I should be doing per night. All of my subjects are A(S) levels, so inevitably this will bump the grand total up.

I am in the Lower Sixth, doing my AS Levels. Right now I do two hours afterschool, and in my free lessons I study too, but generally do homework. Time afterschool is saved for revision.

Is two hours enough for AS levels? I don't feel to be finding any of them difficult. I mean, I despise media studies, but I don't find it hard.

Thanks!
    My 6th form recommends doing homework during frees and then 4 hours of revision in the evening.

If youbare finding everything easy you can always do past papers or work ahead of the class

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    My 6th form recommends doing homework during frees and then 4 hours of revision in the evening.

If youbare finding everything easy you can always do past papers or work ahead of the class
    Damn, 4 hours?! For AS?! Maybe at A-level! XD

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing A2 and its hammered into us that we should do 5 extra hours per subject per week. I personally do 1-2 hours an evening

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks!
    At the end of the day, it's not about the hours. Your goal should not be how many hours you do, but how much content you learn. Therefore, set yourself content goals instead - for example, for one evening maybe do a page in a textbook and revision cards for a certain topic etc.

Set out your content goals in terms of the whole year so that you know you won't run out of time to learn the material in time for the exam.

Just as an example, I spend roughly 1 hour on a double-page spread in psychology while my friend spends 30 minutes. Both of us know the content just as well, we just spend different amounts of time on it.

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as the more hours you put in the better you will do. Just do what is necessary to learn the content, be in 4 hours or 4 minutes. Everyone is different.

Finally, good luck with your studies!

(and stop procrastinating on The Student Room! :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovegoats)
    At the end of the day, it's not about the hours. Your goal should not be how many hours you do, but how much content you learn. Therefore, set yourself content goals instead - for example, for one evening maybe do a page in a textbook and revision cards for a certain topic etc.

Set out your content goals in terms of the whole year so that you know you won't run out of time to learn the material in time for the exam.

Just as an example, I spend roughly 1 hour on a double-page spread in psychology while my friend spends 30 minutes. Both of us know the content just as well, we just spend different amounts of time on it.

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as the more hours you put in the better you will do. Just do what is necessary to learn the content, be in 4 hours or 4 minutes. Everyone is different.

Finally, good luck with your studies!

(and stop procrastinating on The Student Room! :P)
    Yeah, I should really get off TSR! XD

Thanks so much for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    I'm doing A2 and its hammered into us that we should do 5 extra hours per subject per week. I personally do 1-2 hours an evening

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the reply. Do you feel 1-2 hours is sufficient?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. Do you feel 1-2 hours is sufficient?

Cheers.
    I feel it most definitely is, while others leave it until Easter to start revising and then cram, doing 1-2 hours a day from January I found extremely effective at AS

ReputationRep:
    I feel it most definitely is, while others leave it until Easter to start revising and then cram, doing 1-2 hours a day from January I found extremely effective at AS
    Perfect, this is the method I have adopted. I started a few weeks ago, and I don't know why, but it seems to make the revision more enjoyable. Probably because I'm not panicking 2-3 weeks before the exam! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks!
    I do almost exactly the same as you (2 hours after school, HW during free periods) and I do maths, physics, chemistry and a language, what do you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    I do almost exactly the same as you (2 hours after school, HW during free periods) and I do maths, physics, chemistry and a language, what do you do?
    Geography, ICT, Business Studies and Media (which I despise).

I originally took Physics, but I wasn't taking too well to the maths, as a result I chose media... which was a terrible mistake. I would've enjoyed doing Politics, but unfortunately my school didn't offer it.

ReputationRep:
    I generally do an hour or two every other day and more on Sundays. Nowhere near as much as many people...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    I generally do an hour or two every other day and more on Sundays. Nowhere near as much as many people...
    Don't compare yourself to the best students in your year on people on TSR. Think about the average person and how little they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    Don't compare yourself to the best students in your year on people on TSR. Think about the average person and how little they do.
    But I get so little done in comparison to most people :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    I consider 1,2,3 hours plenty for one night of revision. Unlike me, many people have social lives, and it is important to maintain that. I mean, I'm no Psychologist, but too much revision can f**k your social life up lol.

Edit: Well, 1-2-3 hours if you start to revise in January... if you begin revising in April for an exam in May, you're screwed.

ReputationRep:
    And you remember the content from this early on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenfoot)
    And you remember the content from this early on?
    Obviously not. You condense notes in January-February, so skimming your notes is much easier when it's a few weeks before exams.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously not. You condense notes in January-February, so skimming your notes is much easier when it's a few weeks before exams.
    lol ok

ReputationRep:
    When I was doing my AS I chilled most of the time. During A2 I worked in all of my frees, and stayed behind school for 2 hours to study. When I arrived home I didn't do any work and relaxed. On weekends, I would do a total of around 6 hours.

ReputationRep:
    I got A*AA in my A2's and I would say probably 3/4 hours . But a lot of my revision wasn't productive so I would sit on my phone or just stare at my text book for some time, so it was probably only a productive 3 hours, but it's important to factor in unconscious procrastination because everyone does it x

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.