Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jesus, Son of God Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, a revered prophet?

Who is He and who is the Holy Spirit?

This is a question often asked by Muslims.

Do you believe God is all powerful? Do you see God? Do you know who God is? Yes, no, perhaps?

Firstly Christians believe in one God, one God alone. It is very important to start from this as a basis to understanding the reason for Jesus and for humanity.

The first of the Ten Commandments says

"You shall have no other gods before Me".

So Christians worship one God, one God alone. God doesn't partner with another God nor does he have partners. If you have ever been told Christians worship three gods then this is incorrect.

In the bible we read Jesus is the Word.

John 1:1, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

John 1:14, "And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth."

John 10:30-33 "I and the Father are one."

Why was it important for God to be represented to mankind in human form?

Col. 2:9, "For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form."

Philippians 2:6–7 "who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men"

Without God sacrificing himself for the sins of man there would be no salvation.
    No salvation would mean a total separation from God, we would be unable to reach him, to know him, to understand him.

For our sake, He became flesh.

We now have an assurance that nothing will separate us from the love of God. We have an assurance that in death, as in life, we are with Him.

We do not die unsure, or uncertain of our eternity.

This is the love of God.

Isaiah 44:6, "Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: ‘I am the first and I am the last, and there is no God besides Me."
    Rev. 1:17-18, "Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forever more, and I have the keys of death and of Hades."

The spirit of God:
    http://www.answering-islam.org/Shamoun/jesus_spirit.htm

ReputationRep:
    Is any of this a surprise to you? Just wondering if you have come across any of this before

ReputationRep:
    I'm bumping up my own thread. Shameless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    Jesus, a revered prophet?

Who is He and who is the Holy Spirit?

This is a question often asked by Muslims.

Do you believe God is all powerful? Do you see God? Do you know who God is? Yes, no, perhaps?

Firstly Christians believe in one God, one God alone. It is very important to start from this as a basis to understanding the reason for Jesus and for humanity.

The first of the Ten Commandments says

"You shall have no other gods before Me".

So Christians worship one God, one God alone. God doesn't partner with another God nor does he have partners. If you have ever been told Christians worship three gods then this is incorrect.

In the bible we read Jesus is the Word.

John 1:1, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

John 1:14, "And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth."

John 10:30-33 "I and the Father are one."

Why was it important for God to be represented to mankind in human form?

Col. 2:9, "For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form."

Philippians 2:6–7 "who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men"

Without God sacrificing himself for the sins of man there would be no salvation.
    No salvation would mean a total separation from God, we would be unable to reach him, to know him, to understand him.

For our sake, He became flesh.

We now have an assurance that nothing will separate us from the love of God. We have an assurance that in death, as in life, we are with Him.

We do not die unsure, or uncertain of our eternity.

This is the love of God.

Isaiah 44:6, "Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: ‘I am the first and I am the last, and there is no God besides Me."
    Rev. 1:17-18, "Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forever more, and I have the keys of death and of Hades."

The spirit of God:
    http://www.answering-islam.org/Shamoun/jesus_spirit.htm
    There is only one God. I agree.

However, I do not think Jesus is God nor is he the son of God but I see why you would think that.

----------------------

Now, I can either show you why I believe his not the son of God by displaying either:

A) why you were wrong with your analysis/inference/evidence
    or
    B) what proof and explanation I have for saying he is not

Doing both will be long but if I want I will o both but for now I will start with B) just because it kinda does A) already, as it contradicts your justifications.

---------------

Firstly, the Bible says that God is not man:

‘God is not a man’ Numbers 23:19
    ‘For I am God, and not man’ Hosea 11:9

There is no ambiguity here at all.

Secondly, the Bible says Jesus is a man -many times:

‘a man who has told you the truth’ John 8:40
    ‘Jesus the Nazarene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through Him in your midst, just as you yourselves know.’ Acts 2:22
    ‘He will judge the world in righteousness through a man whom He has appointed’ Acts 17:31
    ‘the man Christ Jesus’ Tim. 2:5

Therefore, if God says he is not a man and Jesus is a man, Jesus is not God!

No more is needed to be said for not being God so now I will prove why he is not son of God.
    Thirdly, the Bible says Jesus is a son of man -many times:‘so will the son of man be’ Matthew 12:40 ‘For the son of man is going to come’ Matthew 16:27 ‘until they see the son of man coming in His kingdom.’ Matthew 28‘But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority’ Mark 2:10 ‘because he is the son of man’ John 5:27

However, since Jesus is said to be the son of man and we already know that man is not God, Jesus is the son of one that is not God!

It is simple substitution.

Maybe you will not reason with me because we do not share the same belief. Thus, I will provide you with the exact same explanation why you are wrong...but from the bible:

God is not a man nor a son of man’ Numbers 23:19

You cannot argue otherwise without contradicting the bible or showing why the bible contradicts itself if it does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRealLifeBane)
    There is only one God. I agree.
    However, I do not think Jesus is God nor is he the son of God but I see why you would think that.
    ----------------------
    Now, I can either show you why I believe his not the son of God by displaying either:
    A) why you were wrong with your analysis/inference/evidence
    or
    B) what proof and explanation I have for saying he is not
    Doing both will be long but if I want I will o both but for now I will start with B) just because it kinda does A) already, as it contradicts your justifications.
    ---------------
    Firstly, the Bible says that God is not man:
    ‘God is not a man’ Numbers 23:19
    ‘For I am God, and not man’ Hosea 11:9
    There is no ambiguity here at all.
    Secondly, the Bible says Jesus is a man -many times:
    ‘a man who has told you the truth’ John 8:40
    ‘Jesus the Nazarene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through Him in your midst, just as you yourselves know.’ Acts 2:22
    ‘He will judge the world in righteousness through a man whom He has appointed’ Acts 17:31
    ‘the man Christ Jesus’ Tim. 2:5
    Therefore, if God says he is not a man and Jesus is a man, Jesus is not God!
    No more is needed to be said for not being God so now I will prove why he is not son of God.
    Thirdly, the Bible says Jesus is a son of man -many times:‘so will the son of man be’ Matthew 12:40 ‘For the son of man is going to come’ Matthew 16:27 ‘until they see the son of man coming in His kingdom.’ Matthew 28‘But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority’ Mark 2:10 ‘because he is the son of man’ John 5:27
    However, since Jesus is said to be the son of man and we already know that man is not God, Jesus is the son of one that is not God!
    It is simple substitution.
    Maybe you will not reason with me because we do not share the same belief. Thus, I will provide you with the exact same explanation why you are wrong...but from the bible:
    God is not a man nor a son of man’ Numbers 23:19
    You cannot argue otherwise without contradicting the bible or showing why the bible contradicts itself if it does.

I am happy to reason with you and discuss this further.

Firstly can I say (and I'm sure you will agree with me), to pull out lines from verses without giving the whole verse or setting the whole scene can be misinterpreting the scripture.

‘God is not a man nor a son of man’ Numbers 23:19

In Numbers there is the story of Balak and Balaam. Alters were built trying to win over God and at the same time curse Israel. But God blessed them instead.
    Balak built further altars to try to win God’s favour but God says - God did not lie the first time, ie 'don't try this again' as God cannot be bribed neither will he change his mind.

Bear this in mind now when reading Numbers 23:19

17. When he came to him, he was standing next to his burnt offering, and the Moabite dignitaries were with him, and Balak said to him, "What did the Lord speak?" 18. He took up his parable and said, "Arise, Balak, and hear; listen closely to me, son of Zippor. 19. God is not a man that He should lie, nor is He a mortal that He should relent. Would He say and not do, speak and not fulfill? 20. I have received [an instruction] to bless, and He has blessed, and I cannot retract it.

- verse 20 God has spoken before through Balaam in verses 9-10, blessing Israel. Verse 19 unlike man, God doesn’t lie and unlike the son of man, God doesn’t change His mind.

When God says something He does it, when He speaks it happens. To see the verse any other way misinterprets the scripture.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Reading the bible as a whole shows us in the Old Testament that God gives us verses that say a messiah will be born and He shall be God.

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and for evermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this." Isaiah 9:6-7

A child will be born (human) yet 'mighty God' fully divine. Jesus being born of Mary by the Holy Spirit, not having the sins of the father. 100% human yet 100% divine, pure and holy.

Acts 2:36 "Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah."

"But you denied the Holy and Righteous One, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, and you killed the Author of life, whom God raised from the dead. To this we are witnesses." Acts 3:14-15

"For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God." 2 Corinthians 5:21

"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin." Hebrews 4:15

http://www.answering-islam.org/autho...d_not_man.html

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.