Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone got any advice :/ Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm asking this on behalf of someone I know

They're 16 years old, in year 11. They've missed a lot of school due to personal reasons and also moved schools just recently so they feel that they will not be able to do well at all in the coming GCSE exams.

They would like a career in Banking. Can they drop out and return to do their GCSEs next year when they feel more prepared? Does anyone know of any 6 month long 16+ course they can do in the meantime? Or would you say scrap GCSEs entirely and go for an apprenticeship?

Any pointers? Recommendations?

Thanks guys
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    I'm asking this on behalf of someone I know

They're 16 years old, in year 11. They've missed a lot of school due to personal reasons and also moved schools just recently so they feel that they will not be able to do well at all in the coming GCSE exams.

They would like a career in Banking. Can they drop out and return to do their GCSEs next year when they feel more prepared? Does anyone know of any 6 month long 16+ course they can do in the meantime? Or would you say scrap GCSEs entirely and go for an apprenticeship?

Any pointers? Recommendations?

Thanks guys
    Does the school know what's happened/going on? I know at my college there's a lot of people trying their GCSEs again. Maybe it's worth sitting the GCSEs and seeing how they go - last year I was in the same boat but managed to get decent grades so you never know.

Plus I'm not sure you can change path before GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Does the school know what's happened/going on? I know at my college there's a lot of people trying their GCSEs again. Maybe it's worth sitting the GCSEs and seeing how they go - last year I was in the same boat but managed to get decent grades so you never know.

Plus I'm not sure you can change path before GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not the new one no, but things will be explained to them. Do you think they'd let him sit in the classes but withdraw from the exams? He's refusing to sit them at all because he says he knows he's gonna fail.

Alright thanks for the advice Andy
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Not the new one no, but things will be explained to them. Do you think they'd let him sit in the classes but withdraw from the exams? He's refusing to sit them at all because he says he knows he's gonna fail.

Alright thanks for the advice Andy
    I don't know, some do and some don't is the best I can say

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.