Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just buy
    Books
    Protein powder
    School stationery
    Earphones when they break

ReputationRep:
    Cinema, train money, food when out alone or with friends, music, games/game consoles, clothes/shoes, make up, presents for friends and relatives, some may contribute to rent and bills if their parents don't earn enough, payment to enter things such as football tournaments, music festivals/gigs, if you want to get nsfw then condoms and such as well.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been giving my mum money every week since I was 16 with the money I earnt.

I had my first job at 14 and my parents haven't bought me any clothes, shoes etc or anything else I wanted since then (going out with friends, make up)

So basically I spent my money on things like clothes and doing other teenager stuff :-)

ReputationRep:
    make up, going out with friends and just other bits and bobs (mostly beauty)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abzshaw)
    I don't get what they want or need money for? They live with their parents so they don't have rent or need to buy food shopping, so what are they spending their money on?
    Parents stop giving money at 16

(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Depends on their circumstances I guess. When I was 16 I was saving my EMA (education maintenance allowance - don't think it exists anymore) for driving lessons which I took when I was 17. EMA was £30 a week - enough for a two hour lesson with a fiver left over. No one was going to buy them for me so I had to do it. I also saved for train fair to visit my parent (£30 return) and I also saved from when I was 14 (lunch money) for buying musical instruments so I could practice at home (I did Music A-level) and I saved for clothes because I was in a single parent household and bought my own clothes. I worked part time for stuff like money to go out to Costa or to get the train to the beach at the weekend and to put credit on my phone. 16 year olds are people too - they like to have a life outside of studying, just like now as a 25 year old I like to have a life outside of work - you need money to do anything.
    That was something beautiful. 😂😂

Yep same saved my EMA for driving lessons. Job at 16 to pay for everything extra and never asked my parents for money. Just depends on how you're bought up tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Hobbies, transport and drugs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Depends on their circumstances I guess. When I was 16 I was saving my EMA (education maintenance allowance - don't think it exists anymore) for driving lessons which I took when I was 17. EMA was £30 a week - enough for a two hour lesson with a fiver left over. No one was going to buy them for me so I had to do it. I also saved for train fair to visit my parent (£30 return) and I also saved from when I was 14 (lunch money) for buying musical instruments so I could practice at home (I did Music A-level) and I saved for clothes because I was in a single parent household and bought my own clothes. I worked part time for stuff like money to go out to Costa or to get the train to the beach at the weekend and to put credit on my phone. 16 year olds are people too - they like to have a life outside of studying, just like now as a 25 year old I like to have a life outside of work - you need money to do anything.
    EMA is still about in Scotland and Northern Ireland (maybe Wales? Idk). I use my EMA for a physics tutor and my schools Ipad program so my parents don't have to spend money on that, leaving me with £14 a month for random stuff.

And in case you were wondering, yes, the iPads are useless in class, we just go on clash of clans, and the most we've done educationally wise with them is make the rare keynote PowerPoint. On the upside we don't get in trouble anymore for using phones cause they're kinda redundant due to the iPads, which are allowed in the study periods and class

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.