Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pocket money Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Would you give your teenage child an allowance? Why?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I never got anything and had to hustle sandwiches at lunch time to buy comics after school man. It was a struggle. If you know then you know.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would. They have to learn somehow (and at some point) how to budget. I would hope that would mean not asking me every 5 minutes for money.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who never had any, I will definitely give my kid pocket money and the money will increase by a bit each year till they finish sixth form.

They will also learn how to budget which is something I wasn't lucky enough to learn when I was an early teen

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I'm not sure I would. I feel like they'd spend it on garbage.
    I'd be open to opening an account for them when they're a baby and they can start using it when they turn 18.

ReputationRep:
    Never got pocket money - don't really think I needed it.

I guess I'd have to know my child a bit better to judge whether an allowance is necessary or not

ReputationRep:
    Nope, if they want some money and it's been a while since they last asked then I would however. Although if they have a job I wouldn't give them money unless it's more of a need than a want.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Hmm, I'm not sure I would. I feel like they'd spend it on garbage.
    This is what puts me off. However, they do need to learn how to budget somehow.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Probably. I didn't get any and got into a lot of debt when I was in HS.

ReputationRep:
    I would give them Morrisons vouchers, they can't waste those, they can buy cabbages or something :hand:

As soon as I turned 16 I got a job and since then have been paying for myself. Never asked my parents for money.

I wouldn't ask my kids to pay board or anything but get a job. Like I did myself. That's how they'll learn.

(Original post by Sae.HH)
    Yes. I never got anything and had to hustle sandwiches at lunch time to buy comics after school man. It was a struggle. If you know then you know.
    Your avi suits this comment. 😂😂 you look sad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZuluK)
    Your avi suits this comment. 😂😂 you look sad
    Hahaha :rofl: It's left a permanent scar 😂

ReputationRep:
    Yes £10 per week in secondary
    £120 per month at sixth form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Would you give your teenage child an allowance? Why?
    Yes, they need to be able to afford a social life and learn to budget.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i never knew. :no: so sorry you had to go through those struggles.

were the comic books worth it, though? we've gotta ask the important questions here.

(Original post by somemightsay888)
    I would give them Morrisons vouchers, they can't waste those, they can buy cabbages or something :hand:
    i'm crying omg

(Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    Yes £10 per week in secondary
    £120 per month at sixth form
    :eek:

edit: oh, to answer the thread - yes, i'd give my children pocket money. it teaches children important skills, such as the value of money and budgeting, and it means they'll have money to do whatever kids will be doing those days. (change to rent a hoverboard? money for the google toll when they inevitably take over the world? who knows?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acupofgreentea)
    i never knew. :no: so sorry you had to go through those struggles.

were the comic books worth it, though? we've gotta ask the important questions here.
    Helllllllll yes, coming from a Desi family there's literally unlimited food when you get home so it wasn't even a problem, they just had a thing about no pocket money Had to have the latest Doctor Who issue I'd also go to the market on Saturday and buy big bags of sweets that had just gone out of date and sell them as individual packs at school throughout the day because kids don't give a **** about that :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sure. It's not always easy for kids who are at school full-time to get jobs (which are also pretty scarce nowadays). Though I'd still expect them to help out around the house a little and earn it, to an extent.

Helllllllll yes, coming from a Desi family there's literally unlimited food when you get home so it wasn't even a problem, they just had a thing about no pocket money Had to have the latest Doctor Who issue I'd also go to the market on Saturday and buy big bags of sweets that had just gone out of date and sell them as individual packs at school throughout the day because kids don't give a **** about that :p:
    Glad you didn't have to go hungry, despite your struggles! :laugh: Do you watch the series now? (Doctor Who, I mean.) Apparently, there's rumours there might not be a new series until '17.

And I did the selling sweets at school thing, too! When my school found out, they put a stop to it - there I was trying to gain valuable real life skills ... :unimpressed: We were evidently very business-minded children. :laugh:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.