The Student Room Group

Am I taking the right subjects to get onto nursing at University?

Okay, so firstly when I was choosing my A Levels I was unsure of what I wanted to do at university, however I have always had nursing at the back of my mind. I am currently in year 12 and i take A Levels in:
Health and Social Care
Applied Science (which i am planning on dropping after AS)
English Lit
Music

I was wondering if I am now limited in term of getting into university because i do not take subjects such as biology, psychology etc.
I've been looking at universities and I'm really interested in Bournemouth Uni to do Adult nursing however on there entry requirement it says that relevant subjects are Biology, Sociology and PE and I don't take any of these courses. Is there a chance that if i meet the entry requirements grade wise, they will consider offering me a place? Additionally I'm planning on getting lots of work experience in the field of nursing.
Original post by lucx_s
Okay, so firstly when I was choosing my A Levels I was unsure of what I wanted to do at university, however I have always had nursing at the back of my mind. I am currently in year 12 and i take A Levels in:
Health and Social Care
English Lit
Music

I was wondering if I am now limited in term of getting into university because i do not take subjects such as biology, psychology etc.
I've been looking at universities and I'm really interested in Bournemouth Uni to do Adult nursing however on there entry requirement it says that relevant subjects are Biology, Sociology and PE and I don't take any of these courses. Is there a chance that if i meet the entry requirements grade wise, they will consider offering me a place? Additionally I'm planning on getting lots of work experience in the field of nursing.

Most nursing degrees accept health and social care as a relevant subject so I recon you should have plenty of options. Why not drop bournemouth uni an email to ask whether they d accept it, otherwise theres a list of all the nursing degrees here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/List_of_nursing_degrees_and_their_entry_requirements . Take a look as I m sure theres plenty of universities you can apply to :smile:

If you can start getting work experience sorted now as especially if you wanted to try for hospital experience, it can take time to find it and you may have to get a DBS done.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lucx_s
Health and Social Care
English Lit
Music

Health and social is enough, I do applied science, health and social, sociology and psychology and am planning to drop psychology cos it's so hard I think you should drop music instead because in applied science, the exam has a medical side to it and if worst comes to the worst you could argue your case

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by claireestelle
Most nursing degrees accept health and social care as a relevant subject so I recon you should have plenty of options. Why not drop bournemouth uni an email to ask whether they d accept it, otherwise theres a list of all the nursing degrees here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/List_of_nursing_degrees_and_their_entry_requirements . Take a look as I m sure theres plenty of universities you can apply to :smile:

If you can start getting work experience sorted now as especially if you wanted to try for hospital experience, it can take time to find it and you may have to get a DBS done.

Thank you! that's really helpful :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lucx_s
Health and Social Care
English Lit
Music

I'm applying to Midwifery so entry requirements are similar. I did Biology, Health and Social Care, Business Studies and Philosophy and Ethics. I dropped biology at A2 and continued with the other 3 and finished with ABB. All of the unis I've applied to require either biology, Chem, physics, health and social care or sociology at a full A2 at at least a B grade. On some options, philosophy and ethics is also a very favoured subject. I think you'll be absolutely fine with Health but just make sure you check out the entry requirements of all unis first. Unfortunately because the competition is so high, if you get good grades but they don't contain one relevant subject, they're unlikely to even interview you. Good luck!
Original post by lucx_s
Thank you! that's really helpful :smile:

No problem glad to help :smile:
Original post by LC1996
I'm applying to Midwifery so entry requirements are similar. I did Biology, Health and Social Care, Business Studies and Philosophy and Ethics. I dropped biology at A2 and continued with the other 3 and finished with ABB. All of the unis I've applied to require either biology, Chem, physics, health and social care or sociology at a full A2 at at least a B grade. On some options, philosophy and ethics is also a very favoured subject. I think you'll be absolutely fine with Health but just make sure you check out the entry requirements of all unis first. Unfortunately because the competition is so high, if you get good grades but they don't contain one relevant subject, they're unlikely to even interview you. Good luck!

thanks for the help, how did you find Health and Social care as an A Level; like did you find it hard/easier than your other subjects?
Reply 7
Original post by lucx_s
thanks for the help, how did you find Health and Social care as an A Level; like did you find it hard/easier than your other subjects?

I found it the easier of the subjects I did. It was the one I got an A grade in as I found doing good in the coursework a really good way of taking the pressure off the exam. I got one mark off full marks in the coursework at A2 and only needed a D in the anatomy exam to get an A overall. It took a lot off stress off the other subjects definitely. How are you finding it?
Original post by LC1996
I found it the easier of the subjects I did. It was the one I got an A grade in as I found doing good in the coursework a really good way of taking the pressure off the exam. I got one mark off full marks in the coursework at A2 and only needed a D in the anatomy exam to get an A overall. It took a lot off stress off the other subjects definitely. How are you finding it?

Well done on getting an A! And, yes I completley agree. I really like how it takes the pressure off the exam. It's one of my favourite subjects but sometimes I find it difficult because my teacher doesn't actually teach us what to put in our coursework and instead leaves us to do it so i find myself guessing a lot of what i put into the coursework. Besides that i really enjoy H&SC :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by lucx_s
Well done on getting an A! And, yes I completley agree. I really like how it takes the pressure off the exam. It's one of my favourite subjects but sometimes I find it difficult because my teacher doesn't actually teach us what to put in our coursework and instead leaves us to do it so i find myself guessing a lot of what i put into the coursework. Besides that i really enjoy H&SC :smile:

My advice for that would be to just use loads of references and sources in your coursework. It backs up what you're saying and makes it more like a uni piece of work rather than an A level one. :smile: enjoy it, I'd do it all over again if I could and good luck with your nursing applications x
Original post by lucx_s
Health and Social Care
English Lit
Music

Hi Lucx,

I am currently a second year student at BU!

As it says 'relevant' subjects and not required by all means apply! They just prefer them subjects but doesn’t mean they will only accept people studying those courses. As long as you meet the entry requirement you should have a good chance.

You have already said your planning on doing lots of work experience which is good because it will make you stand out.

Also for the course there is an interview, so you’ll have the opportunity to sell yourself as a person rather than just by the subjects you are studying.

I hope this helped and good luck with your application :smile:
Gemma :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending