Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Opinion: the optimal age to start higher education Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So recently I've been thinking, what might be the best age to start your university degree?
    Granted, this is an opinion, and I'm by no means an expert, this is just my own personal opinion, and figured it would be interesting to hear yours.

Personally, I think the optimal age range to start your undergraduate studies would be 19-22 years old, and here's why.

First off, I think too many young people are pressured to start their university degree as soon as possible even though they might not be mentally and physically prepared. Or too many young people assume that there's no other option than to start studying in university. It's common nowadays that people start university right after they finish their A-levels or IB education. Most people are 17 or 18 years old when they finish, and then usually start their bachelor degree at the age of 18. But by then, you've already attended school for quite a number of years, without really trying or seeing anything else. This could be one possible reason for why some dropout from university or lack motivation, simply because they're tired of studying and need a break from it. Secondly, taking a gap year would allow people to take a break from studying, and they have the possibility to do something entirely different. Whether that be earning some money or traveling and seeing the world.
    On the other hand, if you start university too late, you might already be set in your ways or you don't have that studying habit that is required. I think the first problem with starting too late, is to even start the application process. Say you've been out of school for 5-7 years, and you'd think, why even bother going back to university now? The same problem as with starting too early, is that you might not have the motivation to start studying again.

So what's your opinion, what's the optimal age (or range) to start university?

ReputationRep:
    Start university straight after A-levels and get education out of the way as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayhem™)
    Start university straight after A-levels and get education out of the way as soon as possible.
    Any reason for that? Is education just something that needs to be finished as soon as possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazzem)
    Any reason for that? Is education just something that needs to be finished as soon as possible?
    yeah, I feel like I would perform better while I'm still in an educational environment, taking a gap year would probably make me lazy and put me off going to university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayhem™)
    yeah, I feel like I would perform better while I'm still in an educational environment, taking a gap year would probably make me lazy and put me off going to university
    Interesting you'd say that, although you don't feel tired of studying after all these years?
    I could imagine many students would be fed up with studying everyday, and might feel more motivated if they took a break from it, but that's just my train of thought.

ReputationRep:
    So recently I've been thinking, what might be the best age to start your university degree?
    Granted, this is an opinion, and I'm by no means an expert, this is just my own personal opinion, and figured it would be interesting to hear yours.

Personally, I think the optimal age range to start your undergraduate studies would be 19-22 years old, and here's why.

First off, I think too many young people are pressured to start their university degree as soon as possible even though they might not be mentally and physically prepared. Or too many young people assume that there's no other option than to start studying in university. It's common nowadays that people start university right after they finish their A-levels or IB education. Most people are 17 or 18 years old when they finish, and then usually start their bachelor degree at the age of 18. But by then, you've already attended school for quite a number of years, without really trying or seeing anything else. This could be one possible reason for why some dropout from university or lack motivation, simply because they're tired of studying and need a break from it. Secondly, taking a gap year would allow people to take a break from studying, and they have the possibility to do something entirely different. Whether that be earning some money or traveling and seeing the world.
    On the other hand, if you start university too late, you might already be set in your ways or you don't have that studying habit that is required. I think the first problem with starting too late, is to even start the application process. Say you've been out of school for 5-7 years, and you'd think, why even bother going back to university now? The same problem as with starting too early, is that you might not have the motivation to start studying again.

For me, starting uni straight after I finished my A Levels was ideal. I'm a September baby, so I was 19 when I started, even though I didn't take a gap year. I knew exactly what course I wanted to study and at which uni and had no financial barriers to starting straight away, so it made sense for me to not waste a year. I also do a language, so I did a year abroad in 2nd year which I absolutely loved. I also hated my hometown and needed to get out for the sake of my mental health, so not taking a year out was the best option for me

ReputationRep:
    Interesting you'd say that, although you don't feel tired of studying after all these years?
    I could imagine many students would be fed up with studying everyday, and might feel more motivated if they took a break from it, but that's just my train of thought.
    Even though I'm only doing gcse's at the moment, I find the work force easy to handle and I have more than enough free time.

ReputationRep:

I definitely agree that the lowest age would be 19, I started uni at 18 and ended up hating the course as I realised soon it wasn't what I wanted to do, looking back I should have taken a year out to learn different skills and work on my mental health before making the decision, I felt like it was just expected that you went to Uni at 18 tbh

ReputationRep:
    I personally think a lot of people are not ready at 19 -22 to choose the correct degree

ReputationRep:
    I think this depends on what you want to get out of uni, in an odd kind of way...

If you want to go to uni for the full paradigm experience, then you'd be best going straight out of A levels, where you are surrounded by people of your own age, which should make the whole social side of things a lot easier to deal with. If however, you are going because you genuinely want to learn (and I mean genuinely, i'm sure there are a lot of people that go to uni for the sake of it) then I think 21 is a pretty good age. You should know by 21 from the three years of whatever you've been doing since your last education that uni really is what you need and the route for you to choose. Any later than 21 and I would begin to think that you have just been wasting time (and I mean that in a very general sense, there will be plenty f example of where time has not been wasted).

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends entirely on the person, rather than a set age at which every individual is right to start an education. Personally, I was not very studious at school and didn't really care too much about which university or degree I read. However, since I've started working and developed a real interest in studying I can appreciate it a lot more now.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with TeeEm. Most people tend to pursue a degree because that's just seen as the thing you do. I think it would be better if individuals went into work after A-levels. After a while they'll discover the thing they're passionate about. Then they'll realise that they want to pursue that.

I know too many individuals who have gone on to study things they didn't find interesting because they didn't get the grades for the subject they originally wanted. They then graduated and they're only concern when applying for jobs was which one paid the most. They apply faking interest in the jobs role and then go on to just do the bare minimum at work so they can continue holding the job. They complain about the work hours, but always refer back to pay as if though the paper is granting them happiness. All because they want to get education out of the way early on or because it was seen as normal to attend university at 18.

Whereas, taking the time to discover what you actually want to do and pursuing it is so much greater than the other option. You'll end up doing something you enjoy so are likely to engage more in your work. You'll tend to be happier overall. All because you chose to study something that you find interesting, rather than rushing off at 18 to study because it was expected of you.

My point being, very few people know what they want to do at 18. It's better if they just wait and work it out.

Edit: Just want to add, I think people taking up the jobs they're passionate about produces better results than those who do it simply because it pays well.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be 22 when I hopefully start in September. Had I gone any earlier, I wouldn't be doing this degree (or have the experience to get on it for that matter) and it's perfect for me. I'm glad I waited. I didn't have a clue what I was really interested in at 18 or what all the options were and I expect many are the same. 21+ is a better age imo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.