Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year student mental health nurse and am currently on my first placement which I'm really enjoying. I have a job in a coffee shop which I am not enjoying as much as I used to, and obviously it does not help me develop my skills for my future career as a nurse.
    I want to get a job on bank, but when I have looked at the NHS Professionals website, it says you have to be in your second year of training or have 12 weeks' worth of experience in a hospital setting (I don't).
    So does this mean I can't get any sort of job in healthcare at the moment? I don't know what other options are there are so any advice and signposting would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cdawg5)
    I'm a first year student mental health nurse and am currently on my first placement which I'm really enjoying. I have a job in a coffee shop which I am not enjoying as much as I used to, and obviously it does not help me develop my skills for my future career as a nurse.
    I want to get a job on bank, but when I have looked at the NHS Professionals website, it says you have to be in your second year of training or have 12 weeks' worth of experience in a hospital setting (I don't).
    So does this mean I can't get any sort of job in healthcare at the moment? I don't know what other options are there are so any advice and signposting would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
    Have you thought about bank hca jobs in nursing homes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Have you thought about bank hca jobs in nursing homes?
    How would I go about it - do you need to register anywhere or get training first? Or do you apply for a job then they provide training?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    How would I go about it - do you need to register anywhere or get training first? Or do you apply for a job then they provide training?
    I m afraid I d only at the same point in my training as you so probably not much help but i d say apply for jobs and then you d get training i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I m afraid I d only at the same point in my training as you so probably not much help but i d say apply for jobs and then you d get training i think.
    No worries, that is helpful - I'll have a look into it. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You can bank shifts with your local NHS trusts, most only require that you have undertaken and completed your first placement. Check out the NHS jobs website.

ReputationRep:
    No worries, that is helpful - I'll have a look into it. Thanks!
    Claire is right - they will train you. I haven't heard of a place that doesn't.

If you are getting a bank/agency job, just ensure you are not working too many hours which then interferes with or compromises placement, uni or most importantly your patient care. I know extra money is often necessary in order to get by, but please take extra when accepting extra shifts as you don't want to burn out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaediatricStN)
    Claire is right - they will train you. I haven't heard of a place that doesn't.

If you are getting a bank/agency job, just ensure you are not working too many hours which then interferes with or compromises placement, uni or most importantly your patient care. I know extra money is often necessary in order to get by, but please take extra when accepting extra shifts as you don't want to burn out
    Thank you, I will bear this in mind

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.