Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nothing really matters in life, we are all going to die forever soon Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    I don't really want to go into a creation vs evolution debate, but do you not recognise that evolution does not mean God did not create the world?

I would actually go as far as to say the non-existence of God is logically impossible. He must exist, because our universe began to exist. I can explain further if you like.
    No, the existence of our univetse does not prove there is a god in the slightest.

The universe's formation was the result of physical laws we are yet to understand but maybe we will understand in the future.
    It's exactly like the fact that lightining or earthquakes or any other phenomenad of the natural world were at first misunderstood and attributed to the acts of a "god", but were later explained scientifically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 408655)
    That doesn't make sense to me, there's only 2 possibilities which is the same for everyone who has ever lived and will live on this planet... either the afterlife does exist or it does not
    But you said what if you don't believe in the afterlife? I basically said why does it matter if you don't believe in it? It either exists or it doesn't. It has nothing to do with what you believe.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    I would agree that I am confident he exists. I don't think atheism is logical, and nobody lives consistently as though it were true.
    ??? don't get what you mean

ReputationRep:
    I've never really understood the perspective that because life is finite, nothing matters. It seems small minded to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoriousvince)
    Nothing you do in life really matters, Because it will not last.
    You will die eventually and it will be as if you have never lived in the first place.
    No matter what you will achieve - billions of dollars, beautiful girls - you will die and it will all be lost.
    Think about Steve Jobs.
    Did all his fortune helped him?
    No, he died like everyone else.
    Think about the most beautiful English blonde.
    Let's say she will be your girlfriend or wife.
    In 40 years she will be ugly and old,,.
    You never know, advanced humans may bring us back to life. Also, we are spirtual species we live than die but make the most of it such as a teacher teaching 1,000 sciencist in their lifetime is someone who would be respected thoughout their life and would be proud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    I would actually go as far as to say the non-existence of God is logically impossible. He must exist, because our universe began to exist. I can explain further if you like.
    Only just seen this lel. Please elaborate, I love me a good bit of philosophy

ReputationRep:
    Life is good!

ReputationRep:
    ...but in the end it doesn't even matter...

ReputationRep:
    No, the existence of our univetse does not prove there is a god in the slightest.

The universe's formation was the result of physical laws we are yet to understand but maybe we will understand in the future.
    It's exactly like the fact that lightining or earthquakes or any other phenomenad of the natural world were at first misunderstood and attributed to the acts of a "god", but were later explained scientifically.

It dors
    I think you need faith to believe that is true. It doesn't work philosophically for example. You need an un-caused first cause of the universe. That cause must also be personal in order for it to make the decision to begin the universe (it hasn't infinitely existed). To say that one day, we will discover how the universe and everything in it was caused by nothing personal is blind faith, don't you think? There's no evidence of that, and logic suggests otherwise.

(Original post by MrKmas508)
    ...but in the end it doesn't even matter...
    I tried so hard, and got so far.... but in the end, it doesn't even maaaatter...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    You never know, advanced humans may bring us back to life. Also, we are spirtual species we live than die but make the most of it such as a teacher teaching 1,000 sciencist in their lifetime is someone who would be respected thoughout their life and would be proud.
    Would we be we or would they just be genetic clones of us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrKmas508)
    Would we be we or would they just be genetic clones of us.
    We be inside genetic clone, also who knows religion might be true.

ReputationRep:
    You will die eventually and it will be as if you have never lived in the first place.
    No matter what you will achieve - billions of dollars, beautiful girls - you will die and it will all be lost.
    Think about Steve Jobs.
    So it's the Jew hater again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    ??? don't get what you mean
    Well nobody lives as though naturalism is true. People trust the validity of their reasoning. They act as though they and others have free will and are accountable for their actions. They act as though there is good and evil. They act as though the laws that govern the universe will remain consistent. None of these things are rational things to believe if there is no supernatural.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    We be inside genetic clone, also who knows religion might be true.
    No it's not.
    It's all inventions...

ReputationRep:
    No it's not.
    It's all inventions...
    Your so depressing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    Well nobody lives as though naturalism is true. People trust the validity of their reasoning. They act as though they and others have free will and are accountable for their actions. They act as though there is good and evil. They act as though the laws that govern the universe will remain consistent. None of these things are rational things to believe if there is no supernatural.
    Free will would surely be irrational even if there were a God, no? There's no reason why an all powerful being wouldn't directly control every human's actions. That would therefore make good and evil also totally irrelevant, and therefore the only thing it bothers to explain is the consistency of the universe's laws.

(Original post by Pride)
    I think you need faith to believe that is true. It doesn't work philosophically for example. You need an un-caused first cause of the universe. That cause must also be personal in order for it to make the decision to begin the universe (it hasn't infinitely existed). To say that one day, we will discover how the universe and everything in it was caused by nothing personal is blind faith, don't you think? There's no evidence of that, and logic suggests otherwise.
    Oooh a cosmological argument. Lovely. Also heavily criticised. For a start there's the fallacy of composition, where it's suggested that if you explain the cause of everything that makes up the universe that in turn would explain the universe. If you were to take a house and ask what caused the house to come into existence, you'd explain how the walls were built and how the place was furnished and roofed and so on, and that in turn would be sufficient.

Ignoring that point, I can't find a particular reason for the cause to be "personal" as such. The big bang theory would suggest that the universe was finite without the need for anything to make any form of "decision". Also why does the first cause have to be uncaused exactly? You need to provide some form of reasoning as to why we can't have an infinite regression of causes.

Furthermore, an uncaused first cause does not necessarily lead to God. Bit of a jump, no? No human has ever experienced the supernatural in such a way, we can't claim to know anything about the nature of such things. There's no reason why it can't be a collective of causes causing the one event of the universe beginning ie multiple beings. That would make it plausible that none of these things are all powerful and all knowing, and instead are only capable of creating the universe if they work together. As God effectively = All powerful, all knowing being, if none of these causes have those properties then no God but universe still explained, no?

In the end, you're "certainty" is as much about faith as you claim everybody else's theories are, to wave your belief as if it's near fact is just... nah fam.

ReputationRep:
    Think about Steve Jobs.
    DOOOOOOOOOOM.

That is all there is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why be happy? It is a con, poor advertising to get us to work harder. Life is brutal and senseless.

ReputationRep:
    This perspective isnt very helpful. Seeing as life ends at one point for all of us, shall we just give up?
    Surely a fulfilling life that ends is more rewarding than a life that you give up on before it ends.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.