Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nothing really matters in life, we are all going to die forever soon Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Back in the halcyon days of innocent youth (year 10) I stumbled upon a book called Nausea by French philosopher Jean Paul Sartre. Thus marked the birth of my existential crisis. Upon reading this seemingly harmless novel I was thrust into an unending pit of despair pondering over the absurdity of life. I would sit in class wondering how on earth everyone could carry on knowing death was imminent, and every single experience would be erased from our minds in the blink of an eye. Then I finished the novel and I like the protagonist realised that there are only two possible responses when you realise that essentially life is pointless. The first is to accept this fact and view everything as empty, meaningless and devoid of true reason. This response usually leads to madness and or depressions and or suicide. The second response is liberation. After accpeting the lack of meaning in life, you are free. Free from the worries of a future that will never come, free from pressure, fear, anxiety. You are free and can only pity those who care so much. I urge you to choose liberation as I have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    No, I wouldn't be comforted if any one died. Maybe its because I'm not some sick **** to be comforted if someone killed my Mother. Just because I think life is generally pointless does not mean I am some heartless ****.
    But you're the one who said human life is pointless. It wouldn't matter then! It wouldn't be sick. Sick suggests an absolute morality, which you don't believe in! The best you can say is that it is sick in your humble opinion. But your opinion doesn't even matter, because your life is pointless!

Why not be consistent with what you profess to believe?

(Original post by ParisInc.)
    Back in the halcyon days of innocent youth (year 10) I stumbled upon a book called Nausea by French philosopher Jean Paul Sartre. Thus marked the birth of my existential crisis. Upon reading this seemingly harmless novel I was thrust into an unending pit of despair pondering over the absurdity of life. I would sit in class wondering how on earth everyone could carry on knowing death was imminent, and every single experience would be erased from our minds in the blink of an eye. Then I finished the novel and I like the protagonist realised that there are only two possible responses when you realise that essentially life is pointless. The first is to accept this fact and view everything as empty, meaningless and devoid of true reason. This response usually leads to madness and or depressions and or suicide. The second response is liberation. After accpeting the lack of meaning in life, you are free. Free from the worries of a future that will never come, free from pressure, fear, anxiety. You are free and can only pity those who care so much. I urge you to choose liberation as I have done.
    That's a very tragic freedom. And if you're free from fear, why do you lock your doors at night?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    I wouldn't say an all powerful all knowing being would have any need for accountability, given that they're already, ya know, all knowing and all powerful...
    This is a red herring because it doesn't reply to the point I made, and it doesn't make sense. I thought I would just point that out in case you haven't read through what you typed.

In denying the possibility of an infinite regression of causes you'd then be accepting something that doesn't have a cause, and thus has existed for an infinite amount of time, which again would be something that nobody has ever observed or found evidence for. Most observable things in the universe we can see as having some form of cause.

Assuming it needs a reason. The wind has no reasoning mind, it does not make decisions, but it can blow a tree over without making any form of concious decision to do it.

Dat assumption tho. But nah, I'm more somebody that thinks that nobody has any sort of "certain" view of how the universe was created, God or no God. I don't put my faith in any particular theory either, it's just a fun thing to argue about now and again. I don't have faith 'cause I'm not certain about anything I ever argue on this sort of topic, I reach no conclusions.

You never addressed my multiple causes point really, any chance you've got a response to that one or have I founded another possible explanation for the cause of the universe without God whilst sat in my boxers?
    There's a lot of stuff I don't really want to waste time replying to here. Find people to talk to in person about these things.

But I wanted to reply to what I have emboldened. Many people say that, but it's simply a lie. You do have faith. You do have unproven beliefs. You don't sit on the fence. You do have a worldview, but it is inconsistent. It's a fun thing to argue about? Perhaps, but you do eventually stop arguing about it, and come to a decision, and that decision influences the way you live your life. 'I reach no conclusions' is simply a lie.

You are typing sentences as though you make rational points. You trust your reasoning, which implies the supernatural. But if you really considered the existence of god is possible, you would be trawling through the various major religions for info on who that god might be, because you would realise that that god could have massive implications on your life. You aren't doing that though, because in your heart of hearts, you've made your decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoriousvince)
    Nothing you do in life really matters, Because it will not last.
    You will die eventually and it will be as if you have never lived in the first place.
    No matter what you will achieve - billions of dollars, beautiful girls - you will die and it will all be lost.
    Think about Steve Jobs.
    Did all his fortune helped him?
    No, he died like everyone else.
    Think about the most beautiful English blonde.
    Let's say she will be your girlfriend or wife.
    In 40 years she will be ugly and old,,.
    Yep we die, but that gives you all the more reason to enjoy living!

ReputationRep:
    Oh jeez....Sometimes I wish I could fall asleep and never wake up

ReputationRep:
    I can never understand why nothing matters just because we're going to die soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    But you're the one who said human life is pointless. It wouldn't matter then! It wouldn't be sick. Sick suggests an absolute morality, which you don't believe in! The best you can say is that it is sick in your humble opinion. But your opinion doesn't even matter, because your life is pointless!

Why not be consistent with what you profess to believe?

That's a very tragic freedom. And if you're free from fear, why do you lock your doors at night?
    How can any freedom be defined as tragic when essentially freedom all comes down to the same concept? Whether my freedom is derived from lack of meaning in life or from worshipping faceless gods that promise paradise is besides the point. Freedom at the end of the day is freedom, does it not all feel the same?
    ( PS. I don't lock my doors )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParisInc.)
    How can any freedom be defined as tragic when essentially freedom all comes down to the same concept? Whether my freedom is derived from lack of meaning in life or from worshipping faceless gods that promise paradise is besides the point. Freedom at the end of the day is freedom, does it not all feel the same?
    ( PS. I don't lock my doors )

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If I understand you correctly, you are basically saying that freedom/feeling free is subjective. I recognise that.

But you said that you are free from fear, which is a very specific freedom. You say you don't lock your doors, I think because you realise the weakness of your statement. You say you are not afraid of anything (because you believe life doesn't matter), but I'm pretty confident that that isn't true. Let's assume you're telling the truth that you don't lock your doors at night, and that you would be very happy for anyone to come in uninvited. I don't think you can say that you wouldn't be afraid of being killed by any intruders. You would be afraid if they turned up with a weapon to kill you, or to take away somebody you love. My point being, you aren't free from fear.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.