Do you actually like reading books?

Watch
ihatePE
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I read here and there, online and small articles in a magazine or newspaper but i can't pick up a longass novel and start reading it. the last time i did i was just repeating the words inside my head and not actually read it. so half way in i'm panicking trying to figure out what the plot is about because it just goes in and out.

this has become a problem because i'm doing literature atm and studying two novels urgghhh, so what i do is look up the plot in a summary and then watch the film version if they have any, then i start reading cos then i dont have to digest the words and take effort in understanding it. reading is so tedious, i dont understand how people can actually finish one harry potter book...
thecatwithnohat
Report 4 years ago
It's been a long time since I've properly sat down and indulged myself into a good book :ninja:

One day, one day ... :moon:
blackdiamond97
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I like reading, but A levels stops me from doing loads of things I enjoy
Carpe Diem Jay
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not if it's a book for English. English ruins books.
The Diplomat.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, but have read my current book in weeks lmao
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, I'm an obsessive bibliophile.

And...sorry to sound so old and boring, but it's depressing to see people not reading books. Too many kids get most of their knowledge of current affairs and their understanding of politics/ethics from Facebook posts or Twitter.
Mihael_Keehl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Books suck I can't read propelrly.

If it is STEM it is good.
Star-girl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I love reading! :woo: Trying to devote more time each day to it and get back to my old days of obsessive reading.
username2088165
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, I don't like reading that much any more. I only read non-fiction books in short bursts these days, but I used to be able to sit and read for hours. I think GCSE English kinda ruined reading for me to be honest
username2281303
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ihatePE)
I read here and there, online and small articles in a magazine or newspaper but i can't pick up a longass novel and start reading it. the last time i did i was just repeating the words inside my head and not actually read it. so half way in i'm panicking trying to figure out what the plot is about because it just goes in and out.

this has become a problem because i'm doing literature atm and studying two novels urgghhh, so what i do is look up the plot in a summary and then watch the film version if they have any, then i start reading cos then i dont have to digest the words and take effort in understanding it. reading is so tedious, i dont understand how people can actually finish one harry potter book...
I adore reading.

and with all due respect, if you don't actually like reading then why take English literature as an A level? seems a bit silly to me.
SakuraCayla
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quantex)
Yes, I'm an obsessive bibliophile.

And...sorry to sound so old and boring, but it's depressing to see people not reading books. Too many kids get most of their knowledge of current affairs and their understanding of politics/ethics from Facebook posts or Twitter.
Nothing wrong with using modern technology to improve knowledge of anything, there is masses of information I know that I've seen on twitter or facebook or just online in general, stuff that unless I bought three, at least, newpapers a day, some from abroad let alone in the UK, or bought hundreds more £10-£20 books I wouldn't know.

As it is I love reading, I'm currently going through Tony Benn's diaries, and I have a few other books ready to read once I finish the diaries. I'm learning so much from the books as well, stuff I wouldn't learn online, but there is also a lot I won't read in these books that I could learn online about politics, ethics and current affairs.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kay_Winters)
Nothing wrong with using modern technology to improve knowledge of anything, there is masses of information I know that I've seen on twitter or facebook or just online in general, stuff that unless I bought three, at least, newpapers a day, some from abroad let alone in the UK, or bought hundreds more £10-£20 books I wouldn't know.

As it is I love reading, I'm currently going through Tony Benn's diaries, and I have a few other books ready to read once I finish the diaries. I'm learning so much from the books as well, stuff I wouldn't learn online, but there is also a lot I won't read in these books that I could learn online about politics, ethics and current affairs.
Alistair Campbell's diaries I recommend too. Still want to read Benn's one but alas, uni reading is always in the way.
SakuraCayla
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Airmed)
Alistair Campbell's diaries I recommend too. Still want to read Benn's one but alas, uni reading is always in the way.
I plan to read, diaries wise at least, Chris Mullin's diaries next, Alistair Campbell's diaries is on my radar however as one I need to read. I also really want to read a tory's diaries, just to get another view on parliament and such
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kay_Winters)
I plan to read, diaries wise at least, Chris Mullin's diaries next, Alistair Campbell's diaries is on my radar however as one I need to read. I also really want to read a tory's diaries, just to get another view on parliament and such
I'd like to read a Tory one too. Campbell's are funny though, they're not boring!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.12%
No - I have already returned home (23)
13.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.04%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
24.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed