Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jeremy Corbyn wants Argentine power-sharing deal for Falkland Islands Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    This... Corbyn will probably be gone by 2020 though.
    Alas, quite possibly, although his ouster would leave the party on the wrong side of a very unhappy membership, which would still be pretty helpful for the other parties.

I really can't see a solution from the labour perspective.

(Original post by ibzombie96)
    Haha yes loved that article
    Hugo Rifkind definitely has his moments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)

I really can't see a solution from the labour perspective.

1 Realise that if they don't hang together, they will all be hanged separately

2 Resign after the local elections. Its an 18th century solution. It doesn't matter if the organ that chooses the boss (King George/the Labour membership) wants him, if he can't find people to serve under him, he is toast.

3 Have a single candidate for leader and cancel the leadership election

3 Suspensions and witch-hunts to purge the NEC and then adopt the Tory rules for the next election (probably 2018). MPs pick two candidates and the membership picks between them.

ReputationRep:
    If we could combine Corbyn national polices with Benn's foreign policy and speech making...?

ReputationRep:
    jesus, the guy dosent have a patriotic bone in his body does he
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    He's not helping himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    1 Realise that if they don't hang together, they will all be hanged separately
    How much evidence have you seen of this so far?

2 Resign after the local elections. Its an 18th century solution. It doesn't matter if the organ that chooses the boss (King George/the Labour membership) wants him, if he can't find people to serve under him, he is toast.
    He has people to serve under him at the moment. If the PLP throws him out, his will alienate the membership in the way I've described. That gets rid of Corbyn, but it isn't a solution either. Not one that will leave the party in a tolerably good place for 2020, anyway.

3 Have a single candidate for leader and cancel the leadership election
    Not a solution right now. The problem is that they already have a leader.

3 Suspensions and witch-hunts to purge the NEC and then adopt the Tory rules for the next election (probably 2018). MPs pick two candidates and the membership picks between them.
    I can't see any way in which you could get here without totally alienating those large parts of the membership which are ardently Corbynite.

ReputationRep:
    Britain cares about its oil and gas they just put people on that Island and then use the self determination card...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    If we could combine Corbyn national polices with Benn's foreign policy and speech making...?
    Ah, ChaoticButterfly - it's been a while since I've been on this site and spoken to you. If I remember, you were really quite keen on Corbyn. I'd be interested in your opinion as to how he's doing/what the party should be doing etc.

ReputationRep:
    He's becoming less electable for me every time he speaks.

ReputationRep:
    This country dosent like unions either and pubic awareness has been heightened regarding this issue in the tube driver strikers and junior doctors strikes aswell, so he is doing himself and his party no favours and i really think the labour mps who oppose him arent doing enough to oust him. they are watching their party die before their eyes ans are doing nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freedom2Question)
    Britain cares about its oil and gas they just put people on that Island and then use the self determination card...
    Yeah, bloody rights to self-determination...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freedom2Question)
    Lord Melbourne really was a political genius in 1839.

"Get people to settle on those rocks in the South Atlantic which no-one has made anything of for the last 150 years; because in 150 years time instead of making gas from burning coal in gasworks they will harvest it from the sea round those rocks. Instead of getting oil from sperm whales, they will drill holes for it on the seabed. What, you don't know what a car is? Never mind"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibzombie96)
    Ah, ChaoticButterfly - it's been a while since I've been on this site and spoken to you. If I remember, you were really quite keen on Corbyn. I'd be interested in your opinion as to how he's doing/what the party should be doing etc.
    "I'm on the fence on Trident. As a lot of foreign policy positions of Corbyn.

It's more to do that creating jobs for the sake of creating jobs doesn't really appeal to me. If that is what this sub thing is.

I support the kind of economic policies behind the platform that Corbyn and McDonald stand on. I trust economists like Keen, from a empirical scientific perspective. [/i] I also admit I am ideologically left wing in economics so I am already predisposed to questioning and being critical of the current economic orthodoxies.

I don't really like supporting individuals, I don't want to be labeled a corbynista for example. I don't necessarily think they are good in terms of electibility etc. The stuff with McDonald and the IRA does look ugly but I can't really help that it is these people that got thrusted into figure heads for a lot of the stuff I support. So I just sort of got to go along with it.

There's also the thing of when Corbyn is attacked by the media/TSR on something I agree needs attacking I don't feel need to take part since everyone and their dog is already doing it. So you only see me defending him."

~ChaoticButterfly defending himself before the Blairite show trial.

I supposed I now have to defend Corbyn form the charge you guys are making of him being perosnally responsible for loosing all but one sottish seat when you twits were in charge :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    do you have to link to the guardian? use a half decent and mildly respectable paper. this feels just as a dirty as clicking on a link to the sun.

why do people talk about which country the islanders want to belong to as if it is the decider? don't need it to strengthen the u.k's position as it is simply u.k's territory.
    if the islanders didn't want to live under u.k then can move somewhere else. u.k shouldn't hand over territory to a country run by corrupt bullies for any reason.

this is what a silly old man you turn into when you smoke too much weed - sometimes abit is ok, but this is what too much of it will do to you kids.

he was part of my parent's circle of friends going way back and he is just like all the others in that social circle - pathetic old idiots who call themselves communist mostly just because stuck in some 60s/70s timewarp where it is really rebellious and cool. i'll always see him like i see the rest of them, just pathetic silly old people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    It's forced by his other defence policies, i.e. he wants to cut defence to the point where the UK could no longer defend the Falklands, raising the possibility of Argentina invading them again. If Argentina forcibly invades the Falklands while he is PM then his government will collapse. So to eliminate this risk, he has to give the Falklands to Argentina.
    Well since you put it that way I'm totally fine with Corbyn giving away British territory and the homes/rights of British citizens to appease the imperialistic Argentinians.

I hope Argentina's neighbours follow his example and likewise part with sizeable segments of their populations to satiate the daft territorial ambitions of Argentines and help sooth their insane misguided victim complex.

Jokes aside I can see the logic of that, and every leader plays the game to ensure the longevity of their premiership, but the problem for Corbyn is that with policies like that he isn't even going to stand a chance at leading the country.

I'm no fan of the tories by a mile, but I'd vote for them for the first time in my life if I knew it'd keep him out of office.
    He comes across as more dangerous to Britain than a distant Eton-bred blue-as-blue tory.
    Hopefully Labour sorts it's house out soonish, I don't want them to create an effective one-party state for the foreseeable future because they want to flirt with their old-school far-left heroine addiction.
    It's 2016 labour, we don't need the Internationale or student politics, we need a real and genuine alternative to the cold excesses of the tories.

ReputationRep:
    "I'm on the fence on Trident. As a lot of foreign policy positions of Corbyn.

It's more to do that creating jobs for the sake of creating jobs doesn't really appeal to me. If that is what this sub thing is.

I support the kind of economic policies behind the platform that Corbyn and McDonald stand on. I trust economists like Keen, from a empirical scientific perspective. [/i] I also admit I am ideologically left wing in economics so I am already predisposed to questioning and being critical of the current economic orthodoxies.

I don't really like supporting individuals, I don't want to be labeled a corbynista for example. I don't necessarily think they are good in terms of electibility etc. The stuff with McDonald and the IRA does look ugly but I can't really help that it is these people that got thrusted into figure heads for a lot of the stuff I support. So I just sort of got to go along with it.

There's also the thing of when Corbyn is attacked by the media/TSR on something I agree needs attacking I don't feel need to take part since everyone and their dog is already doing it. So you only see me defending him."

~ChaoticButterfly defending himself before the Blairite show trial.

I supposed I now have to defend Corbyn form the charge you guys are making of him being perosnally responsible for loosing all but one sottish seat when you twits were in charge :rofl:
    I was only asking for your opinion. I'm not Blairite - I'm a Tory and obviously like a lot of what Corbyn says, but I'm just wondering how you feel now, as some other people I've been speaking to have turned away from Corbyn - particularly his gang - since his September.

ReputationRep:
    This man just can't pass up an opportunity to shoot himself in the foot, can he?

This revelation also raises serious questions about the degree to which he is under the control and influence of a foreign government; clearly the Argentines believe they have him fully under control. The Iranians also have good reasons to believe he will serve their interests at Britain's expense.

Even usually diehard Corbynista are groaning at his idiocy on this subject. My view is that this goes further than just Corbyn being typically ignorant and poorly read on the relevant subject; serious questions may be asked about where his true loyalties lie.

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn has some national policies?

ReputationRep:
    The biggest irony here is that in his desperate attempt to be trendy and "anti-imperialist", he is behaving in an utterly colonial fashion by essentially saying that the fate of the Falklands Islanders should be decided over their heads, by the two powers UK and Argentina on the basis of centuries old claims rather than on the basis of the clearly expressed will of its inhabitants.

It proves that this doesn't really have anything to do with anti-imperialism in reality given he is acting in an imperial manner; it has to do with his consistent opposition to British interests and in favour of enemy powers in every single case bar none.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This conflict sent Thatcher soaring in the opinion polls, and Corbyn reckons he's going to get support by undermining everything that conflict was for and for what all those servicemen died for. And that's supposed to make Labour electable?
    WHAT IS THIS MAN THINKING???

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.