The Student Room Group

Year 9 options

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alaoso
Hi so basically I'm in year 9 and just got my options.I want to do things
like German,history,geography and triple science but will this be too much work? I didn't enjoy science or history until year 9 so should I even be doing it? Please help on career paths from this thanks...

Depends on you really. No one here can tell you whether doing a certain combination of GCSEs is manageable for you, because we don't know you and what you're capable of. I would say that personally I would recommend you take triple science if you have the option and want to go into something scientific later on.
Reply 21
Original post by samb1234
Depends on you really. No one here can tell you whether doing a certain combination of GCSEs is manageable for you, because we don't know you and what you're capable of. I would say that personally I would recommend you take triple science if you have the option and want to go into something scientific later on.

I can tell you my levels for some subjects-science 7B English 7C Maths 7A history 7B geography 7B German 6A
Original post by Alaoso
I can tell you my levels for some subjects-science 7B English 7C Maths 7A history 7B geography 7B German 6A

The point I'm trying to get across is that although you can get advice from people, you have to remember that at the end of the day it is you that is going to be taking the exams not any of us. If you don't want to take something, don't take it just because some random person on the internet did it - you are a much better judge of what you would enjoy/do well at than any of us. Also bear in mind that the system has changed - I took GCSEs 2 years ago so it will be a bit different now than it was when i did them. Best of luck
Reply 23
Original post by Alaoso

Has anyone got any creative writing a star examples our teacher gives us rubbish ones lol
Reply 24
The point I'm trying to get across is that although you can get advice from people, you have to remember that at the end of the day it is you that is going to be taking the exams not any of us. If you don't want to take something, don't take it just because some random person on the internet did it - you are a much better judge of what you would enjoy/do well at than any of us. Also bear in mind that the system has changed - I took GCSEs 2 years ago so it will be a bit different now than it was when i did them. Best of luck

You're right but I do feel I might put myself under too much stress so I might drop geography and do something less demanding any suggestions?
Original post by Alaoso
Have you got any links to previous applicants and stuff like that thx...

Pretty much any of the threads here will be relevant but the big current ones I'll link below:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2112295
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=865511
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1043586
Definitely do maths and triple science. RE is also quite good as it's fairly easy. Same applies to geography. In my experience, people don't tend to do well in history, but if you want to go into LAW, i suppose you have to do it. I do think that if you want to be a doctor you should have decided by now, so maybe it isn't the right path for you. In that case, take history although you may not do as well in it. Of course, 12 *s is moderately difficult, so primarily, pick subjects you find easy to accompany you with what I have mentioned above.
Original post by Alaoso
You're right but I do feel I might put myself under too much stress so I might drop geography and do something less demanding any suggestions?

I don't really know tbh. I took maths, further maths, triple science, double english, full course RE, history, geography, PE and German so I can only really comment on those and even then I did them 2 years ago before all the 1-9 stuff came in
Reply 28
I don't really know tbh. I took maths, further maths, triple science, double english, full course RE, history, geography, PE and German so I can only really comment on those and even then I did them 2 years ago before all the 1-9 stuff came in

What kind of grades did you get?
Original post by Alaoso
What kind of grades did you get?

11* 1 A
Reply 30
11* 1 A

Wow how did you revise and when did you start
Reply 31

I'm doing all of them except re and pe and maybe cut geography but not sure yet
Original post by Alaoso
Wow how did you revise and when did you start

I just did past papers, made a few notes from cgp book etc etc. I'd say the most important thing for GCSEs is to stay on top of the work throughout the year so that nearer the exams you are truly revising rather than relearning/learning content
Reply 33
I just did past papers, made a few notes from cgp book etc etc. I'd say the most important thing for GCSEs is to stay on top of the work throughout the year so that nearer the exams you are truly revising rather than relearning/learning content

Ok thanks I'm gonna do that stuff and hopefully it works but should I start looking at the work now or year 10
Reply 34

Also what kind of stuff were you achieving in year 9
Original post by Alaoso
Ok thanks I'm gonna do that stuff and hopefully it works but should I start looking at the work now or year 10

Relax,y you're in year 9 you really don't need to be worrying about exams you're going to take in 2 years time. Just do your best in your subjects this year and worry about exams this time in 2 years
Reply 36
Relax,y you're in year 9 you really don't need to be worrying about exams you're going to take in 2 years time. Just do your best in your subjects this year and worry about exams this time in 2 years

Ok thanks lol it's just that I really want all a stars to go to Oxbridge and just wanna be the best I can be but also I have decided I'm doing triple,history,German but I'm really unsure about doing geography as I get good grades but don't find it interesting so I think it would be better if I took a more relaxed subject any suggestions btw I'm not creative
Original post by Alaoso
Hi so basically I'm in year 9 and just got my options.I want to do things
like German,history,geography and triple science but will this be too much work? I didn't enjoy science or history until year 9 so should I even be doing it? Please help on career paths from this thanks...

It won't be too much work at all as long as you manage your time. I do triple science, history, drama and spanish and although I get history homework weekly it's not unmanageable. Those subjects are all good but do which ever subjects you feel most comfortable about and know you can do well in
Reply 38
Original post by Serena.Anna
It won't be too much work at all as long as you manage your time. I do triple science, history, drama and spanish and although I get history homework weekly it's not unmanageable. Those subjects are all good but do which ever subjects you feel most comfortable about and know you can do well in

Ok thanks but I'm considering something else instead of geography but I just dunno what to do
If you want to be a doctor then I'd definitely recommended triple science. You have to take Chemistry and usually Biology for A Level if you want to be a doctor and triple science will definitely help with that.

Lawyer usually needs good grades in English and History will also help with this application. Don't worry about not liking subjects, I hated Chemistry in Year 10 but by Year 11 I loved it and am now taking it for A Level, just shows how you change :smile:

I personally don't think this is too much work, I did triple science, maths, English Lit&Lang, RE, ICT, Geography, German, Business and Child Development for GCSE and although the work load is not the best I coped well.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest