Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Year 9 options Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaoso)
    Hi so basically I'm in year 9 and just got my options.I want to do things
    like German,history,geography and triple science but will this be too much work? I didn't enjoy science or history until year 9 so should I even be doing it? Please help on career paths from this thanks...
    It won't be too much work at all as long as you manage your time. I do triple science, history, drama and spanish and although I get history homework weekly it's not unmanageable. Those subjects are all good but do which ever subjects you feel most comfortable about and know you can do well in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serena.Anna)
    It won't be too much work at all as long as you manage your time. I do triple science, history, drama and spanish and although I get history homework weekly it's not unmanageable. Those subjects are all good but do which ever subjects you feel most comfortable about and know you can do well in
    Ok thanks but I'm considering something else instead of geography but I just dunno what to do

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be a doctor then I'd definitely recommended triple science. You have to take Chemistry and usually Biology for A Level if you want to be a doctor and triple science will definitely help with that.

Lawyer usually needs good grades in English and History will also help with this application. Don't worry about not liking subjects, I hated Chemistry in Year 10 but by Year 11 I loved it and am now taking it for A Level, just shows how you change

I personally don't think this is too much work, I did triple science, maths, English Lit&Lang, RE, ICT, Geography, German, Business and Child Development for GCSE and although the work load is not the best I coped well.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know about how strict they are in controlled assessments when it comes to cheating like what do they allow

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused aswell. I have NO idea Wether to pick RE or history. I also want to be a lawyer but Ik what I pick now will not have a great impact on my future career but I just don't know what tk do. Dw Ik how you feel

ReputationRep:
    I want to do triple science history and German but I'm thinking instead of geography because of the work load I should do design engineer construct to have a more relaxed lesson

ReputationRep:
    Also what is a GCSE controlled assessment

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks lol it's just that I really want all a stars to go to Oxbridge and just wanna be the best I can be but also I have decided I'm doing triple,history,German but I'm really unsure about doing geography as I get good grades but don't find it interesting so I think it would be better if I took a more relaxed subject any suggestions btw I'm not creative
    will you not be on the new grading system and so will have grades 1-9 instead of U-A*?

Triple science is a good thing to do btw as even if you don't like it at least you'll know haha

ReputationRep:
    Also what is a GCSE controlled assessment
    It depends on the subject for example more designed based controlled assessments are computer based and they go on throughout a certain period.
    So, you might work on a project or for a subject like English you might have to write an essay in class of head so you'll have a pile of notes but you have to write the essay from scratch. For science I think it's mainly just evaluating experiments so you actually do the experiment then you do exam papers on the experiment and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I'm in the new grading system and also if I want to be a lawyer or a doctor should I take triple science,history and German then maybe design engineer construct as an easy subject?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any experiences of triple how tough is it and how much revision is there.etc

ReputationRep:
    Under the current system 10-12 GCSEs is manageable for someone who is reasonably intelligent and works hard. In total I do Maths, English Lang & Lit, Triple Science, RE, Computing, French and Psychology and I have already completed History, Geography and HPQ. It is a lot of work but certainly achievable if you are prepared to work hard and are interested.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any experiences of triple how tough is it and how much revision is there.etc
    As long as you have the right work ethic then it's no problem at all - you just need to make sure you revise effectively and make time for other subjects.
    Don't worry about it, you're only in year 9

ReputationRep:
    Cheating????

ReputationRep:
    What cheating

ReputationRep:
    You dislike science, but want to do medicine?

ReputationRep:
    Dislike?no no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1jonam16)
    You are making a huge deal out of nothing. Just do whatever you want to do. At the end of the day these are GCSE Options. It is reasonably easy to get an A* in any subject so it really doesn't matter. Just make sure you do double english, maths and triple science. What annoys me is that you are considering cheating, which I heavily look down upon. With that kind of attitude, I guarantee you won't make it as a doctor.
    Listen in my message I didn't say I want to cheat I am one of those really paranoid people with cheating e.g. I was asking if I look up during the exam does that count as cheating a lot of my friends said you have to keep your eyes on the work at all times and even the slightest thing can be classed as cheating by the exam boards.So yeah I would never cheat it's something stupid and it will never help you in life.

ReputationRep:
    Alaoso Invigilators are people too and looking up to see the clock (watches are banned at my school) is understandable. Heck, you could stare to the sides (where it appears as if you are looking at someone's paper) and nothing would happen. They don't focus on you unless you make them want to and if you have no genuine intention to cheat nothing will happen. If I were you, I'd stop worrying so much about exams that you will have to do in 2 years. Do what you enjoy and work hard and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1jonam16)
    Alaoso Invigilators are people too and looking up to see the clock (watches are banned at my school) is understandable. Heck, you could stare to the sides (where it appears as if you are looking at someone's paper) and nothing would happen. They don't focus on you unless you make them want to and if you have no genuine intention to cheat nothing will happen. If I were you, I'd stop worrying so much about exams that you will have to do in 2 years. Do what you enjoy and work hard and you'll be fine.
    Thanks for the information and good thing we cleared up the cheating thing also out of curiosity what GCSEs did you do and what grades

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.