Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i'm thinking of dropping out of uni, but need advice as to whether this is a good idea or not. Here's the situation:

I'm in my final year with only one semester to go, but this last year has been difficult and i don't know if sticking it out is the best thing for me. I've struggled with social anxiety throughout my time at university, but it hasnt been too much of a problem in relation to the coursework which i have been lucky with. But this past semester it has been incredibly difficult to focus on anything at all, i've avoided most seminars and class discussions and i've procastinated to the point where i don't know if it will be possible to catch up again.

I'm doing a creative course, so we have a final major project that we present at a degree show, but i've lost all my motivation for my chosen project and can't see a situation where i'm going to make anything i am happy with showing now.

i feel like i might be better off dropping out now and focusing on making my portfolio presentable instead of worrying about a project i have little confidence in. I technically already have a degree, this is the honours year and although it would be nice to get through it all, i dont think this is what is best for me at this moment in time.

My options right now seem like give up, or finish but finish terribly.

My only concern with dropping out would be having to explain to my family and friends
    why i'm quitting so close to the end, but that doesnt seem as bad as trying to get through another semester.

What do you think i should do?

ReputationRep:
    Right you obviously are still uncertain of what to do but it seems like you don't want to have to give up at they stage in the game?Could you speak to an advisor and discuss a sabbatical of sorts or something along those lines, provided you would still receive funding? This would give you a year to manage your anxiety and get it under control so you could review the situation with a clear head and make a more informed decision having reconsidered?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.