Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Adichie

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently reading "An Abundance Of Katherines" by John Green

ReputationRep:
    Currently reading a thousand splendid suns

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by childofthesun;[url="tel:62235655")
    62235655[/url]]Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Adichie
    Great book!! Have you read Purple Hibiscus??
    I need to read more stuff by African writers

ReputationRep:
    Austerity bites- Mary O'Hara

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rojina1)
    I'm currently reading "A Beautiful Mind" by Slyvia Nasar, about John Nash, who developed schizophrenia.
    I got about halfway through and stopped when he had his fatal car accident, I need to finish it sometime, but I probably need to start from the beginning now. I've been advised that it would also be an asset concerning marketing myself to Universities to read around his game theory.

I've nearly finished reading "Look Who's Back", and I'm still reading Max Tegmark's "Our Mathematical Universe" and John Gribbin's "The Birth of Time".

After these I expect I'll move onto Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe" and Hawking & Penrose's "The Nature of Space and Time", but I also have the Harry Potter series long overdue to read. I particularly want to read Arthur C Clarke's "The City and the Stars" and Harper Lee's "Go Set a Watchman" too, though, I do seem to have a bit of a backlog on my shelves actually.

ReputationRep:
    To Kill A Mockingbird

Since I have an English assessment coming up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matrix123)
    I'm currently reading The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins and it's amazing!
    I read that about a month ago and I absolutely agree! It reminds me a lot of Dracula, Marian Halcombe reminds me a bit of Mina Harker. Count Fosco has possibly got the place as my favourite fictional villain (and there's stiff competition in 19th-century literature!) Apparently the previous convention was that villains would be emaciated and thin, so he was a departure from that.

The moment when Walter Hartright describes Marian Halcombe from the back as if she is the heroine, then she turns around and is discovered to have a moustache!

I haven't read any more Wilkie Collins novels but as you like this I can recommend Lady Audley's Secret and possibly The Haunted House (although it's not very consistent in its writing quality), a selection of short stories by Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Elizabeth Gaskell and some others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamplemousse.)
    I read that about a month ago and I absolutely agree! It reminds me a lot of Dracula, Marian Halcombe reminds me a bit of Mina Harker. Count Fosco has possibly got the place as my favourite fictional villain (and there's stiff competition in 19th-century literature!) Apparently the previous convention was that villains would be emaciated and thin, so he was a departure from that.

The moment when Walter Hartright describes Marian Halcombe from the back as if she is the heroine, then she turns around and is discovered to have a moustache!

I haven't read any more Wilkie Collins novels but as you like this I can recommend Lady Audley's Secret and possibly The Haunted House (although it's not very consistent in its writing quality), a selection of short stories by Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Elizabeth Gaskell and some others.
    Yeah, coming to think of it there are those similarities with Dracula! Haha, yeah certain parts make me laugh so much.

Ooh, I just looked that book up and it looks REALLY interesting with each of the incidents that take place. Thanks

Edit: btw I absolutely love your username!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamplemousse.)
    I've just finished reading Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Choderlos de Laclos and am currently reading Neuromancer by William Gibson and Writers and their Work: James Joyce.

What are you reading/last read and what do you think of it?
    The Outsiders by S.E. Hilton, it is very good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incredible97)
    And the mountains echoed

Awesome book! :awesome:
    Khaled Hosseini is such a good author

Have you read The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
    That's one of my favourite books of all time.
    'It was as though her nature were so brimming over with something that against her will it expressed itself now in a radiant look, now in a smile. She deliberately shrouded the light in her eyes, but in spite of herself it gleamed in the faintly perceptible smile.'

I read Madame Bovary as I read somewhere that it was very similar to Anna Karenina only shorter, but I was disappointed, I didn't think it was nearly as good. But then Anna Karenina is one of the most celebrated books of all time, so I was probably expecting too much of Madame Bovary! Not that it's bad or anything.

I love how Anna Karenina refuses to take a clear-cut moral stance, yes society seems repressive but escaping from it by no means guarantees happiness either and even Karenin is rendered a rounded character by the end. Hope you enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JezWeCan!)
    Soumission by Michel Houllebecq.

In translation. Written by perhaps France's most highly regarded living novelist it is a dystopian vision of a fractured, Islamized France which was published on the day of the Chralie Hebdo massacre. Talk about great timing! It is like George Orwell/Aldous Huxley meeting a Gallic Islamic State.

All in all a truly shocking vision by a great novelist, no writer in English would attempt such a contentious subject I suspect. Lots of graphic sex too, which is always a bonus. The only downside: it is a bit pretentious in places, but he is a French intellectual after all.

Which of them isn't?
    It's a pitfall few of them seem to escape entirely, it's true But I'd rather risk a bit of pretention then read a completely unambitious work.
    I've read 1984 and Brave New World but I know they're only the most famous works and apparently Chrome Yellow by Huxley is underrated. Do you recommend any other Orwell/Huxley works?

Orwell meets French ISIS, sounds like everyone's ideal read. I love reading French fiction in translation, but always seem to end up reading fairly old stuff. Can you recommend any more modern works like the one you mentioned?

(Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Great book!! Have you read Purple Hibiscus??
    I need to read more stuff by African writers
    The fishermen by Chigozie Obioma is supposed to be really good
    And beasts of no nation is by a Nigerian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    Khaled Hosseini is such a good author

Have you read The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns?
    Indeed he is! :yep:

Yep! :awesome: Such an amazing story! I like A Thousand Splendid Suns more! Have you watched the movie of The Kite Runner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelthehuman)
    Just finished Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby jr. and A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

Now reading an interesting non-fiction book called Sapiens, and also Anna Karenina (on top of some stuff for school)
    I keep seeing someone around my college reading Sapiens, but I haven't worked up the courage to ask her what it's like.

What are you reading for school?

What's A Room of One's Own like, I've been really meaning to read it since I read Mrs Dalloway and Orlando but I don't have a copy. Is it worth buying one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by childofthesun)
    Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Adichie
    I've got her essay on feminism but only know her as a personality not an author. Is she up to the hype?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SBKA)
    SPQR by Mary Beard, it's fairly decent.
    Is it accessible for someone who doesn't know too much about Roman history? I've been hearing good things about Mary Beard but I want a starting point which doesn't assume I know a lot (which she may do, being an academic?) I love history books with really interesting little details aswell.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm (slowly) reading Heroes of Olympus: The Blood of Olympus. It's soooo good but I really don't want to reach the back cover because it's the last book of the series that was my childhood. :cry: First world struggles eh?

(Original post by SBKA)
    SPQR by Mary Beard, it's fairly decent.
    To do with the Roman legions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incredible97)
    Indeed he is! :yep:

Yep! :awesome: Such an amazing story! I like A Thousand Splendid Suns more! Have you watched the movie of The Kite Runner?
    A Thousand Splendid Suns is my favourite too, such a harrowing story, made me very angry/sad I haven't seen the movie, heard it's good though. I have a day off tomorrow so I'll give it a watch tonight

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.