Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What book are you currently reading (or last read) ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamplemousse.)
    That's one of my favourite books of all time.
    'It was as though her nature were so brimming over with something that against her will it expressed itself now in a radiant look, now in a smile. She deliberately shrouded the light in her eyes, but in spite of herself it gleamed in the faintly perceptible smile.'

I read Madame Bovary as I read somewhere that it was very similar to Anna Karenina only shorter, but I was disappointed, I didn't think it was nearly as good. But then Anna Karenina is one of the most celebrated books of all time, so I was probably expecting too much of Madame Bovary! Not that it's bad or anything.

I love how Anna Karenina refuses to take a clear-cut moral stance, yes society seems repressive but escaping from it by no means guarantees happiness either and even Karenin is rendered a rounded character by the end. Hope you enjoy it
    I've not had much time to read it and so far the character Anna Karenina has yet to be introduced. I find it really good so far, Stepan seems very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I personally hate reading but following an audiobook for Lord of the Flies on youtube. I have to do this for my English Literature GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    currently reading DC Red Robin as he searches for Batman (Grail story arc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinka99)
    I personally hate reading but following an audiobook for Lord of the Flies on youtube. I have to do this for my English Literature GCSE.
    I tried reading it once and was really bored, and normally I love reading! They all seemed to be sitting around having a decent time cracking coconuts (from my very vague recollection) and I got impatient for the deaths to start so I abandoned it, something I very rarely do.

Maybe I misjudged it, though. I have it languishing on my shelf to this day, do you think it's worth picking up again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    A Thousand Splendid Suns is my favourite too, such a harrowing story, made me very angry/sad I haven't seen the movie, heard it's good though. I have a day off tomorrow so I'll give it a watch tonight
    I know It was quite upsetting tbh
    Yeah it is! Okay that's good
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    need to get back to reading I Am Number 4 in the Lorien Legacies series.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently rereading Mastery by Robert Greene! People should read it.

ReputationRep:
    Dune by Frank Herbert
    Arguably the greatest sci fi series ever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by careyboyle)
    Currently reading Jane Eyre and I'm loving it!
    I love it too, but is it just me or is Charlotte Bronte really prejudiced against foreign women? The stuff in there about Adele and her mother, and Rochester's past mistresses, all promote really crude national stereotypes.

I can't decide what Bronte work to read next though! The only other one I have is Wuthering Heights, so I don't know whether to read some of Emily's poetry (which some people think is better than her novel), try something of Anne as she is overlooked, or go for another of Charlotte's.

ReputationRep:
    "When Mr Dog Bites" by Brian Conaghan. It's about a boy with Tourretes who finds out that he only has a few months to live. It's very like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, if you've ever read that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luciferr)
    Dune by Frank Herbert
    Arguably the greatest sci fi series ever
    My dad teaches that and keeps telling me I should read it, but it's a long book and I'm getting myself used to reading other science fiction first (more mainstream, like Huxley, Atwood and Orwell, but my favourite is PKD) so when I do I will hopefully appreciate it more.

Apparently the world is really good. Would you mind explaining to me the world/what you like about it? I find asking someone who has read it is more enlightening than Wikipedia etc

ReputationRep:
    last read: to kill a mockingbird - 3 years ago in gcse english

ReputationRep:
    It's a pitfall few of them seem to escape entirely, it's true But I'd rather risk a bit of pretention then read a completely unambitious work.
    I've read 1984 and Brave New World but I know they're only the most famous works and apparently Chrome Yellow by Huxley is underrated. Do you recommend any other Orwell/Huxley works?

Orwell meets French ISIS, sounds like everyone's ideal read. I love reading French fiction in translation, but always seem to end up reading fairly old stuff. Can you recommend any more modern works like the one you mentioned?
    I have read all of Orwell's novels apart from Coming Up for Air (never got round to it) but actually apart from the two famous ones, I prefer Homage to Catalonia, Down and Out, and Road to Wigan Pier (which aren't novels at all) to his other novels. I also love his long Essays, best found in the Collected Essays in four volumes, published by Penguin.

The only Huxley I have read is Brave New World.

Soumission is my first Houllebecq but won't be my last. I am very impressed and intend to read all his other works. As for other modern French novelists I can't say I am an expert but have you tried Patrick Modiano?

ReputationRep:
    I tried reading it once and was really bored, and normally I love reading! They all seemed to be sitting around having a decent time cracking coconuts (from my very vague recollection) and I got impatient for the deaths to start so I abandoned it, something I very rarely do.

Maybe I misjudged it, though. I have it languishing on my shelf to this day, do you think it's worth picking up again?
    Yeah it is worth picking up again. You have to reach the denouement to appreciate it, I can't think of a better literary description of the collapse of civilisation, if you get to the end you will find it haunting I think.

ReputationRep:
    That's one of my favourite books of all time.
    'It was as though her nature were so brimming over with something that against her will it expressed itself now in a radiant look, now in a smile. She deliberately shrouded the light in her eyes, but in spite of herself it gleamed in the faintly perceptible smile.'

I read Madame Bovary as I read somewhere that it was very similar to Anna Karenina only shorter, but I was disappointed, I didn't think it was nearly as good. But then Anna Karenina is one of the most celebrated books of all time, so I was probably expecting too much of Madame Bovary! Not that it's bad or anything.

I love how Anna Karenina refuses to take a clear-cut moral stance, yes society seems repressive but escaping from it by no means guarantees happiness either and even Karenin is rendered a rounded character by the end. Hope you enjoy it
    I actually preferred War and Peace to Anna K, although I am not saying it isn't great or anything. The Hunting Scene in War and Peace is perhaps my favourite episode in ANY novel I have ever read.

Do you like Dickens? I love him but not everyone does nowadays. Pickwick Papers is just astounding, so too Curiosity Shop (although I can't stand the Little Nell scenes!) , Chuzzlewitt, Copperfield, Great Expectations the list goes on and on.

ReputationRep:
    I've just read Running by Ronnie O'Sullivan; it was really good but some parts were a bit repetitive. I'm currently on an ARC of The Noise of Time by Julian Barnes. It's based on a Russian composer during Stalin's rule but it's very confusing because I've read some Russian lit and this is written in Barnes' style so I don't feel like I'm in Russia.

(Original post by rojina1)
    I'm currently reading "A Beautiful Mind" by Slyvia Nasar, about John Nash, who developed schizophrenia.
    How're you finding it? I really enjoyed the audiobook. Have you seen the film?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Great book!! Have you read Purple Hibiscus??
    I need to read more stuff by African writers
    Yes I have! It's such a great book-I thoroughly enjoyed it. Adichie is an incredible writer. I admire the way she explored so many different themes such as colonialism,domestic abuse,social unrest,religion, tribalism etc in such a delicate way, and managed to capture the dynamics of such a complex family without coming across as forced and overcomplicated.
    I honestly loved it!

I recommend Things Fall Apart and Arrows of God by Chinua Achebe

ReputationRep:
    I've got her essay on feminism but only know her as a personality not an author. Is she up to the hype?
    Definitely!! She's an amazing writer.

ReputationRep:
    Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh! Great book!

ReputationRep:
    Is it accessible for someone who doesn't know too much about Roman history? I've been hearing good things about Mary Beard but I want a starting point which doesn't assume I know a lot (which she may do, being an academic?) I love history books with really interesting little details aswell.
    I think you'll like it, it is really accessible and has loads of small details (eg: The insults Roman soldier's wrote on missiles!) .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.