Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What book are you currently reading (or last read) ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I'm (slowly) reading Heroes of Olympus: The Blood of Olympus. It's soooo good but I really don't want to reach the back cover because it's the last book of the series that was my childhood. :cry: First world struggles eh?

To do with the Roman legions?
    Not specifically, it's a general overview of Rome from its foundations until the early 2nd century AD.

ReputationRep:
    The last book I was reading was the Silmarillion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JezWeCan!)
    I actually preferred War and Peace to Anna K, although I am not saying it isn't great or anything. The Hunting Scene in War and Peace is perhaps my favourite episode in ANY novel I have ever read.

Do you like Dickens? I love him but not everyone does nowadays. Pickwick Papers is just astounding, so too Curiosity Shop (although I can't stand the Little Nell scenes!) , Chuzzlewitt, Copperfield, Great Expectations the list goes on and on.
    Not everyone does nowadays?! What is this recent anti-Dickens heresy that no one's told me about? Why's that, is it the cruelty to his wife thing or something actually to do with his work?

I'm really embarrassed to say that I've only read Great Expectations, A Christmas Carol and The Haunted House (a work commissioned for the periodical All The Year Round, a ghost story in which everyone is haunted by past memories and themselves, rather than literal revenants.) Includes Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Elizabeth Gaskell and more. I wouldn't recommend it for a first-time Dickens reader but I would as you already know his work.

'He had a waistcoat, which looked so ineffably respectable that I am certain if it had been presented at the pay counter of any bank in Lombard Street the clerks would have cashed it at once for any amount of notes or gold demanded. My uncle Bonsor entrenched himself behind this astonishing garment as behind a fortification, and fired guns of respectability at you.'
    Would you have guessed that was not a Dickens quotation?! I thought it was classic Dickens when I opened the book at random, but it's actually George Augustus Sala. (there are some great actual Dickens quotations from this, on psychological haunting, if you want)

As the only full-length Dickens novel I've read is Great Expectations, what would you recommend I read next?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JezWeCan!)
    I actually preferred War and Peace to Anna K, although I am not saying it isn't great or anything. The Hunting Scene in War and Peace is perhaps my favourite episode in ANY novel I have ever read.

Do you like Dickens? I love him but not everyone does nowadays. Pickwick Papers is just astounding, so too Curiosity Shop (although I can't stand the Little Nell scenes!) , Chuzzlewitt, Copperfield, Great Expectations the list goes on and on.
    Why did you prefer War and Peace? I thought recent opinion was leaning more in favour of Anna Karenina (don't know why), but I haven't read War and Peace. I find it very hard to prioritise as there is so much I want to read so sometimes I deliberately read works by other authors and not go back to some to gain variety but this makes me miss out in some cases on a broader overview of an author's work. Have you read any E.M Forster? I got into him a few of years ago.

Do you study English or do you just have an interest in literature?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattWhitelock)
    "When Mr Dog Bites" by Brian Conaghan. It's about a boy with Tourretes who finds out that he only has a few months to live. It's very like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, if you've ever read that.
    Yeah I have, liked it. Does it have humour interspersed with the naturally depressing subject matter? Why does he have only a few months to live (Tourettes wouldn't cause that, that's the speech thing, right?)

Does it have Tourettes imbedded in the writing style? That would be interesting.

(Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
    don't you just love Levin's character!

I'm currently reading "The Cancer Ward" by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georg Hegel)
    I've just read Runningby Ronnie O'Sullivan; it was really good but some parts were a bit repetitive. I'm currently on an ARC of The Noise of Timeby Julian Barnes. It's based on a Russian composer during Stalin's rule but it's very confusing because I've read some Russian lit and this is written in Barnes' style so I don't feel like I'm in Russia.

How're you finding it? I really enjoyed the audiobook. Have you seen the film?
    What Russian lit have you read? I've only ever read one Russian author but I was really intrigued by the view of Russia it gave.

I've heard of Flaubert's Parrot by Barnes, might read it as I really liked A Simple Heart (Un Coeur Simple), the short story it alludes to. Really, really worth a read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamplemousse.)
    What Russian lit have you read? I've only ever read one Russian author but I was really intrigued by the view of Russia it gave.

I've heard of Flaubert's Parrot by Barnes, might read it as I really liked A Simple Heart (Un Coeur Simple), the short story it alludes to. Really, really worth a read.
    The first one I ever read was The Brother's Karamazovby Dostoevsky. Since then I've read Anna Karenina (Tolstoy), loads by Nabakov like Lolita, ones by Bulgarov like Master and Margarita, Life and Fate (Vasily Grossman) and Doctor Zhivago.

Ahh I've not heard of that, I'll have to check it out. I've only read The Sense of the Ending, it was really good

(PS I love Forster too!!)

ReputationRep:
    I finished 'Brokeback Mountain' by Annie Proulx within a couple of hours - bit disappointing in places.

Currently reading 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett and re-reading 'Enduring Love' by Ian McEwan.

ReputationRep:
    Currently reading many books on the go for my uni course. Just ordered High Adventure by Edmund Hillary and I'm hoping to read Walking the Himalayas when I can get a copy

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have, liked it. Does it have humour interspersed with the naturally depressing subject matter? Why does he have only a few months to live (Tourettes wouldn't cause that, that's the speech thing, right?)

Does it have Tourettes imbedded in the writing style? That would be interesting.
    >Does it have humour interspersed with the naturally depressing subject matter?
    Yeah, very much so, there's things like him having competitions with his best friend to see whose mum cries the most. It's all written from his very care free point of view though, so there's a lot of taking depressing subjects in a light hearted manner.

>Why does he have only a few months to live (Tourettes wouldn't cause that, that's the speech thing, right?)
    I'm not sure as I'm only 50 or so pages in, you find out he only has a few months to live at the start of the book, but you don't know why. I assume it's something to do with him generally having mental issues.

>Does it have Tourettes imbedded in the writing style? That would be interesting.
    Yup, it's all written from his point of view, and has things like him swearing and shouting at people when he's stressed or angry, and him talking about having to stop "Mr Dog" (his tourretes) from getting out.

ReputationRep:
    I love it too, but is it just me or is Charlotte Bronte really prejudiced against foreign women? The stuff in there about Adele and her mother, and Rochester's past mistresses, all promote really crude national stereotypes.

I can't decide what Bronte work to read next though! The only other one I have is Wuthering Heights, so I don't know whether to read some of Emily's poetry (which some people think is better than her novel), try something of Anne as she is overlooked, or go for another of Charlotte's.
    Ooh I haven't noticed as of yet, I haven't really dedicated much time to it as I'm currently having to work my way through compulsory reading too. I'm studying Wuthering Heights as part of my A2 Lit course but haven't got past the first 3 chapters as of yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valkyrie-grey)
    Currently reading many books on the go for my uni course. Just ordered High Adventure by Edmund Hillary and I'm hoping to read Walking the Himalayas when I can get a copy
    What's your course and what are you reading for that?
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Currently reading the lies of locke lamora by Scott Lynch. My boyfriend got me it for my Christmas and I recently finished Trudi Canavan's Angel of Storms, book 2 in her Millennium's Rule trilogy. It was good, maybe a little bit slow but that usually happens with a middle book of trilogies.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    The last book I was reading was the Silmarillion.
    I really really struggle to get through that and I love Tolkien. I might have to give it another go! Maybe I'll skip the first story/section as that seems to be the bit I can't get through.

ReputationRep:
    What's your course and what are you reading for that?
    Ancient History, so I'm currently reading parts of 'The Oxford history of Ancient Egypt' and 'The Classical World'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SBKA)
    I think you'll like it, it is really accessible and has loads of small details (eg: The insults Roman soldier's wrote on missiles!) .
    Sounds great, I was reading some fun stuff about ancient graffiti and some interesting stuff in a Latin textbook about how the word 'candidate' comes from Latin 'candida' meaning pure white, for the white togas political candidates wore, so I think it would be right up my street. Thanks for the recommendation, that's really spurred me on to actually get it.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone does nowadays?! What is this recent anti-Dickens heresy that no one's told me about? Why's that, is it the cruelty to his wife thing or something actually to do with his work?

I'm really embarrassed to say that I've only read Great Expectations, A Christmas Carol and The Haunted House (a work commissioned for the periodical All The Year Round, a ghost story in which everyone is haunted by past memories and themselves, rather than literal revenants.) Includes Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Elizabeth Gaskell and more. I wouldn't recommend it for a first-time Dickens reader but I would as you already know his work.

'He had a waistcoat, which looked so ineffably respectable that I am certain if it had been presented at the pay counter of any bank in Lombard Street the clerks would have cashed it at once for any amount of notes or gold demanded. My uncle Bonsor entrenched himself behind this astonishing garment as behind a fortification, and fired guns of respectability at you.'
    Would you have guessed that was not a Dickens quotation?! I thought it was classic Dickens when I opened the book at random, but it's actually George Augustus Sala. (there are some great actual Dickens quotations from this, on psychological haunting, if you want)

As the only full-length Dickens novel I've read is Great Expectations, what would you recommend I read next?
    David Copperfield I think. The first chapters are perhaps the best description of childhood ever written, it has Uriah Heep, Mr Micawber, Barkis, Dickens called it the favourite of all his creations because it is so autobiographical.

You'll love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    I finished 'Brokeback Mountain' by Annie Proulx within a couple of hours - bit disappointing in places.

Currently reading 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett and re-reading 'Enduring Love' by Ian McEwan.
    What's it like? I really want to read some Ian McEwan, should I start with that or Atonement (I've seen the film) ?

ReputationRep:
    What's it like? I really want to read some Ian McEwan, should I start with that or Atonement (I've seen the film) ?
    Which of the three books?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.