Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Contraception Help! Watch

Announcements

Okay so I am on the combined pill Rigevidon. I have been on it since June 2015.

Everything seems to be going fine while on it.

Although, I've seen articles recently about people dying from DVT from the pill I am on and I'm so worried. I worry about my health anyway but this has scared me so much.

I've contemplated changing to another form of contraception with a lower risk.

Are there any mini pills that people have been fine on?
    What are the risks with other contraceptives?

Should I be worried or not?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Is this your second thread on this?

All contraception methods have their good bits and not so good bits. Yes, a combined pill increases risk of DVT, but it's still a very small risk: about 60 women in 100,000 every year, compared with 30 in non-users. But for pregnant women, the risk goes up to 100 to 200 in 100,000 every year and the combined pill is very good at protecting against pregnancy, better than progesterone-only 'mini-pills'. It also, unlike them, protects against ovarian and endometrial cancers.

So it depends on what you're most concerned about.

If you smoke or drink more than the recommended limits, you're taking far more risk with your health than by using the combined pill.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, I'm on the pill too and it scares me but you just gotta think of the positives of being on it. I personally feel healthy on the pill so if anything was different I would definitely notice anything out of the ordinary. It's such a small risk that it really isn't worth worrying over! I'm sure you'd rather know that you were on a strong, reliable form of contraception than not being on anything at all, or something that isn't as strong. Don't worry too much, maybe talk to your doctor if you're stressed about it.

(Original post by unprinted)
    Is this your second thread on this?

All contraception methods have their good bits and not so good bits. Yes, a combined pill increases risk of DVT, but it's still a very small risk: about 60 women in 100,000 every year, compared with 30 in non-users. But for pregnant women, the risk goes up to 100 to 200 in 100,000 every year and the combined pill is very good at protecting against pregnancy, better than progesterone-only 'mini-pills'. It also, unlike them, protects against ovarian and endometrial cancers.

So it depends on what you're most concerned about.

If you smoke or drink more than the recommended limits, you're taking far more risk with your health than by using the combined pill.
    No, this is my first post about it. I don't drink or smoke at all, I'm just really worried about getting a blood clot

(Original post by CeeDixon)
    Trust me, I'm on the pill too and it scares me but you just gotta think of the positives of being on it. I personally feel healthy on the pill so if anything was different I would definitely notice anything out of the ordinary. It's such a small risk that it really isn't worth worrying over! I'm sure you'd rather know that you were on a strong, reliable form of contraception than not being on anything at all, or something that isn't as strong. Don't worry too much, maybe talk to your doctor if you're stressed about it.
    I'm planning on going tomorrow! My body has suited to Rigevidon! I had barely any side effects to this day (touch wood) I just worry about everything and reading articles about people dying from my pill literally made me panic!

ReputationRep:
    The best thing to do in your situation, is learn the signs of a DVT, I've been on the same pill and have never had any problems, I really have to stress though, majority of the combined pills increase the risk of DVT, but that doesn't mean you're going to get one.. There are risk factors that increase the chances, and you've already said you don't smoke or drink so that's good, it decreases the chances! But seriously, educate yourself on the symptoms of a DVT and if you do notice any one of them, no matter how small, book an appointment with your GP. The earlier you can 'catch' them as such, the less damage it can do! Good luck, I'm sure you'll be completely fine xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.