Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Diary of a Vet Hopeful: My journey through AS Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey! So I just found your blog and it's great. I'm doing the exact same AS levels as you and I want to do medicine at university, which is obviously another very competitive course! Maybe we could keep in touch and share resources and tips? I love your flash cards I'm 100% going to make some for psychology too 😂😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    05/03/16-

I know I haven't updated in a while, but I've been super busy trying to finish my epq for next week! Today I managed to squeeze in some biology revision on water. I created some notes on the topic and also answered a bunch if past paper questions. I then went through the mark schemes and marked my answers, then write out the correct answers in another colour. I will then redo the same questions closer to the exam and hopefully I will have remembered how to correctly word my answers to get the mark. This will help me adapt the answers to similar questions in the exam.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1457214402.501390.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  81.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1457214437.572019.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  74.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1457214474.786542.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  59.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1457214491.392478.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  65.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1457214510.858721.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  69.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1457214541.197499.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  78.9 KB

Tomorrow I am going to do the same for the rest of the biological molecules topic, although I may finish it in my study period on Monday if I do not have enough time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    12/3/16-
    I have been doing a tonne of revision during my study periods this week, and I will do a big update on all of that later. First I wanted to make a list of all the homework I need to complete for next week t keep me on track. I have been doing lots of revision at school, so I have built up quite a pile of homework to keep me busy this weekend!
    • Biology mock papers (mitosis and membranes)- COMPLETE 12/3/16
    • Maths- C2 mock revision, ex 13.2 and ex 13.4)- COMPLETE 12/3/16
    • Chemistry- bond enthalpy test revision
    • Psychology- Token economy powerpoint- COMPLETE 12/3/16
    • Biology- histone research
    • Biology- heart dissection write up/ annotations + photo on phone
    • Chemistry- testing for ions table
    • Chemistry-PAG task -COMPLETE 13/3/16
    • FINISH EPQ
    I have colour coded my tasks by importance, with red being due soonest.

ReputationRep:
    Biology Update- 20/3/16-

I have made lots of notes for biology, and have also answered exam questions on the same topics afterwards. I have then been putting them in to plastic wallets and I am aiming to make a revision booklet for each topic, or the ones I am worst at at least. So far I have finished proteins, membranes and water, and I am now starting work on disease and the cardiac cycle.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458494741.102464.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  80.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458494768.273829.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  73.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458494781.110881.jpg
Size:  79.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458494802.444237.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  76.6 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458494867.338063.jpg
Size:  80.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458494883.598096.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  78.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458494895.956210.jpg
Size:  77.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458494916.682394.jpg
Size:  71.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458494934.979155.jpg
Size:  72.8 KB

I have also been trying out onenote to type some notes up, and I really like how they turned out.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458494995.369082.jpg
Size:  71.2 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry Update-20/3/16-

My chemistry revision has been following a similar format to biology. So far I have revised enthalpy changes and have made a start on organic chemistry.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458495130.993744.jpg
Size:  68.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458495145.567767.jpg
Size:  69.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458495157.483321.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  64.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458495185.506833.jpg
Size:  58.9 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Psychology update-20/3/16-

Today for my psychology revision I typed up some notes on the working memory model.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458495269.482803.jpg
Size:  64.2 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maths update- 20/3/16-

For my maths revision I have been focussing on C2 as I have an assessment tomorrow. I have been reading key sections of my book and answering exam questions on each topic. I also completed a mock paper and got an A, which I was very pleased with.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1458495428.689919.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  57.2 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My Plan for the Week:

So now that Easter is out of the way, I have a very busy week ahead of me. I am lambing from the 4th- 10th, then I'm back at school on the 11th, so that only leaves me with a few days to get as much done as possible.

What I have already done:
    1. Maths- C2 revision
    2. Maths homework-C1 and C2 past paper
    3. Biology homework- essay on importance of vaccinations
    4. Biology homework- past paper
    5. Biology- Mitosis/ meiosis flashcards
    6. Biology- exchange surfaces flashcards
    7. Biology- notes on immunity
    8. Chemistry- module 4.2 flashcards
    9. Chemistry- notes on spectroscopy/ spectrometry
    10. Psychology homework- notes on anorexia
    11. Psychology- notes on working memory model
    I have been keeping a tally on the hours spent of each subject, and so far it is as follows:
    I am planning to even these out by the end of the week, but I started with biology as this is my weakest subject.

maths: 4 biology: 9.5 chemistry: 5 psychology:3

What I still need to do:
    1. Maths- S1 paper
    2. Maths- revise statistics
    3. Maths- finish chapter 14
    4. Biology- Revise circulatory system (flashcards)
    5. Biology- past paper pack
    6. Biology- exchange system paper
    7. Chemistry- rates homework (PAG writeup)
    8. Chemistry- revise module 4.2 for test
    9. Psychology- notes on drug therapy
    10. Psychology- revise all studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VittoriaAnna)
    My Plan for the Week:

So now that Easter is out of the way, I have a very busy week ahead of me. I am lambing from the 4th- 10th, then I'm back at school on the 11th, so that only leaves me with a few days to get as much done as possible.

What I have already done:
    1. Maths- C2 revision
    2. Maths homework-C1 and C2 past paper
    3. Biology homework- essay on importance of vaccinations
    4. Biology homework- past paper
    5. Biology- Mitosis/ meiosis flashcards
    6. Biology- exchange surfaces flashcards
    7. Biology- notes on immunity
    8. Chemistry- module 4.2 flashcards
    9. Chemistry- notes on spectroscopy/ spectrometry
    10. Psychology homework- notes on anorexia
    11. Psychology- notes on working memory model
    I have been keeping a tally on the hours spent of each subject, and so far it is as follows:
    I am planning to even these out by the end of the week, but I started with biology as this is my weakest subject.

maths: 4 biology: 9.5 chemistry: 5 psychology:3

What I still need to do:
    1. Maths- S1 paper
    2. Maths- revise statistics
    3. Maths- finish chapter 14
    4. Biology- Revise circulatory system (flashcards)
    5. Biology- past paper pack
    6. Biology- exchange system paper
    7. Chemistry- rates homework (PAG writeup)
    8. Chemistry- revise module 4.2 for test
    9. Psychology- notes on drug therapy
    10. Psychology- revise all studies.
    Yesterday I completed the breadth paper in the past paper pack. We have not finished the course yet so there 13 marks I could not answer. On the questions I could answer, I got 45/53, which s about 79%. I am quite happy as I did not use any notes like the teacher suggested, however, I know that I can still do much better and need to continue working hard with my revision.

I also completed my psychology notes on drug therapy. I learned about how to treat heroin addictions with medication, and conducted my own research which I found very interesting.

Today I continued with psychology and made notes on the serial position effect, Tulving and reconstructive memory.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459533206.390870.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  165.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459533220.773560.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  150.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459533234.567981.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  155.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459533249.170988.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  158.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459702166.081089.jpg
Size:  176.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459702267.079027.jpg
Size:  182.6 KB

Today I started on some revision posters and managed one for social psychology and chemistry module 2.1.

On the psychology poster I covered obedience, including Milgram's variation studies and agency theory, and prejudice, including social identity theory, realistic conflict theory and factors affecting it. I summed up key points and topics, but did not include studies as these are rather wordy. Instead I will make separate revision sheets for these.

For chemistry I covered the entire module, including isotopes, definitions, acids, titrations and oxidation. I again summarised key ideas and included examples. I feel happy with this module, and will continue to do the same for the remaining ones, as well as my other subjects.

I used this style of revision for GCSE and I feel it is useful as a resource to summarise my knowledge and to remind me of key ideas. I also like how they are colourful and can go on my wall to remind me whenever I look at them.

I also finished my homework by completing my chemistry rates graph and evaluation, and attempting all questions in chapter 14 of my maths textbook. Now I am going to finish my revision by looking at the circulatory system.

This is all the revision I will be able to do in the holidays as I have a lambing placement next week which may involve long hours. However, the current hours spent on maths, biology, chemistry and psychology is 6, 12, 8 and 10 respectively.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished revision on the cardiac cycle and I am very happy with how my poster turned out! Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459708270.426118.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  168.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It seems like ages since I updated, but I've just been so caught up in my revision! I've made lots of resources and have been making progress in lessons lately. I will do a separate post for each subject as it may get a bit lengthy!

On my latest report, my grades are as follows:

Maths: A
    Biology: C+ (a bad mock grade is bringing this down)
    Chemistry: A
    Psychology: A

I am hoping to get AAAA, so I need to focus more on biology in order to achieve this.

ReputationRep:
    Maths- 24/4/16:

I have mainly been focussing on C2 lately, as this is my weakest of the 3 modules, I feel. I have been using the revision notes and questions by topic on www.physicsandmathstutor.com to go over my weakest areas and have been attempting past papers under timed conditions. I started by doing a few with notes, then without. When I did not use my notes I was getting mainly grade B, however, I would like to try and get this up to an A grade. I have also been doing past papers every maths lesson at school, and my class has been focussing on C2 for this. The teacher has also been guiding us through past questions on the board which has been very helpful for me.

As my C1 paper is coming up first (about 3 weeks) I am now going to go back over this section. I feel confident with almost everything in C1, so I will start doing as many past papers as I can manage. We will also be going over this in lessons now, So I should manage 2-3 a week.

I am also continuing to revise for S1 in a similar way to C2. As there as more topics I am not as confident with, I need to use the revision notes and questions by topic before attempting regular timed papers.

Overall I am hoping to get an A in all 3 of my maths exams.

ReputationRep:
    Biology- 24/4/16:

I still have not finished learning the course yet, but I feel happy with the stuff I am currently learning so shouldn't need to go over this much. I am starting to go back to the beginning to refresh my memory of some of the easier topics (DNA and biological molecules) but I am mainly focussing on my weak areas. These include:
    • Transport in plants
    • Cardiac cycle
    • Gas exchange in animals
    • Disease and the immune response.
    I have been making a few handwritten notes and flashcards, but I have found that typing my notes is more efficient and allows me to d more in my time. I have been using OneNote and have found this helpful so far. I have been copy and pasting the specification bullet points and then answering each bullet point in detail to ensure I cover the whle specification.

I have also been attempting past questions as I revise each topic, to check that I am comfortable and can move on.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry- 24/4/16:

At the moment I am feeling pretty confident with chemistry. I have been using similar techniques to biology, by using the specification and answering each bullet point. I feel I have covered all of my significantly weak areas, so I am starting at the beginning and working through the specification.

I have been attempting past papers, although these differ from the new specification. I completed the specimen papers and got an A in breadth and a B in depth, which I am pleased with. I have also completed 2 ABG papers, on which I got 55/60 and 56/60, so I am super happy. On Friday I had a module 4.2 test and got an A so I feel I am doing well. I have two chemistry mocks next week, so hopefully I can maintain this standard.

I have also been using GoConqr to make flashcards. I used this website for my GCSEs and found it very useful, as it is much quicker than handwriting, and you can also view them on the go using the app. I like to do this on the bus as it saves me having to print them all off and is easy to take wherever I go.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology- 24/4/16:

My first exam is in 3 weeks tomorrow so I am frantically revising social/ cognitive. I have been typing my notes following the specification, as with my other subjects, and this has proved to be very effective and efficient. I have managed to cover the whole of obedience, including all the studies, in lots of detail in 3 days, so I am pleased with that. I am now going to start on prejudice, then I can move on to cognitive psychology again.

As it is a new specification, there are limited past papers, so I will attempt the old ones. However, I am scared this may panic me as I may think I need to know something that is no longer required.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.