Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in college doing my AS year and we've seen a bunch of assemblies from organisations like NCS etc to try to get us to sign up. Is there much point in doing so? Do they really help your university application THAT much?
    Also, are there any other things I can do which would improve my university application?

Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JorahMormont)
    I'm in college doing my AS year and we've seen a bunch of assemblies from organisations like NCS etc to try to get us to sign up. Is there much point in doing so? Do they really help your university application THAT much?
    Also, are there any other things I can do which would improve my university application?

Thanks
    I didn't do either, but I can see how it would be somewhat helpful.

However, slightly later with job applications etc, when they ask you questions requiring evidence of particular skills, DofE seems to be a good one for leadership/teamwork, but that's not to say that you couldn't get it from some other activity.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    No, they won't help you to get into university, especially if you are doing them kicking and screaming. You can use work experience and more practically related reading/attending public lectures etc related to your subject. On the other hand, there are plenty of benefits to doing extra curricular things which may make you a better person generally. Not everything is about university applications.

ReputationRep:
    **** no.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I honestly didn't like doing NCS and found it quite predictable.

Though however, it does look good in any applications if you do explain what you've gained out of it.

ReputationRep:
    They're good for jobs, not uni
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    If you have decent grades for the course you want and have other things to talk about in your personal statement then you won't need it. But if you have a borderline application then it can help.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    In general, these organizations and some schools overstate how useful they are for uni applications- your PS, when you write it, should mostly be about the course you want to apply for, and in many cases things like NCS or DofE won't be that relevant. It's also worth bearing in mind that a lot of the time that grades are the most important thing about your application- they often are the main factor in getting accepted or rejected, and obviously once you have your offer you want to meet the grades. So committing a lot of time to something extra curricular isn't a good idea if it's going to have an impact on the grades you achieve.

They can look good on your CV when you come to apply for jobs, but actual work experience (either paid or unpaid) is usually better- If you can find work experience relevant to the degree you want to do, this will look much better on your personal statement as well.

For your personal statement for an academic subject, you'll want to show an interest and understanding of the course you want to study- extra reading is pretty essential, and there may be other relevant things you can do such as court visits for law.

If you want to study a more vocational subject such as medicine or vet med, you'll need to start getting relevant work experience ASAP- so you probably wouldn't have time for something like the NCS as well.

However, some people do get a lot out of DofE or the NCS. If it's something you want to do for its own sake, then it's definitely worth looking into further.

No

Small stuff like volunteering in a charity shop etc works just as well (worked for me)

ReputationRep:
    No, but you do need a DKN. Have you ever heard of it? Theyre really good

ReputationRep:
    No. Good for jobs though

Not everyone will have heard of NCS or DofE and can do it and things like volunteering works just as well if not better. I doubt universities sift through hundreds of personal statements looking for NCS and DofE.

IMO they should care about the person's aptitude and passion for that particular subject not the extracurriculars that have no relevance whatsoever. Yes you can speak about how you have fitted in all those extracurriculars whilst studying for A levels but most universities won't even look at your PS that closely. And if you are aiming for oxbridge they certainly don't care for NCS and DofE.

Say we have two candidates with the same grades one with NCS and DofE plus extra readig but the other just extra reading I guess it can help but I really doubt it. If universities are looking between candidates that closely then they probably have an interview process and everything.

ReputationRep:
    I did both but didn't put either on my personal statement. It might make a difference for medicine but I doubt it means much for other subjects.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Not at all. But NCS is genuinely a lot of fun. It's like a 3 week school trip for £35. And you can only do it once.

I'd strongly recommend that you do it.

Plus i got to put on my PS that i gave a presentation infront of our local MP

ReputationRep:
    I think they do. I've done B,S and just finished gold DoE. My grades weren't what I'd hoped for end of U5 so my mum phoned my first two choices of uni (I was on my gold expedition in the Alps on results day so couldn't do it myself) to ask advice on how I could still get onto my chosen course (law). During the conversations with recruitment both uni reps indicated that a full house of DoE was well received by unis because of the personal qualities it helps young people develop. I honestly don't think anyone should underestimate the importance of 'soft skills'. Despite my poorer than wished for grades I do have two unconditionals though admittedly still waiting for decisions from my two preferred choices - anxiously waiting but staying hopeful on the basis - no news etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.