Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

i want biceps.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    yup, true true!!
    can i just ask, whats the equation thing in ur sig all about???

ReputationRep:
    i agree, straining your body anyway isnt good, but every now and again just makes it worse, cos that means the exercise you are doing rises drastically from almost nothing...consequences coud be fateful :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    No, by toning I mean keeping your muscles in regular use and targeting certain areas to increase strength and shift fat. You can't look as if you have muscles if you don't have muscles. So toning is effective. I (along with many health/fitness experts) don't think straining your body to the absolute maximum every now and again is the healthiest way to go about things. More frequent - not more straining - excercise is the way to do it.
    Thats so wrong its untrue. By doing high reps and low weight, youre not increasing strength at all, and by doing it more frequently(everyday) youll actually decrease strength. Shift fat? how is it going to do that, granted doing high reps/low weights burns calories but its so small you might as well give up trying to lose fat doing these exercises..

ReputationRep:
    i agree, straining your body anyway isnt good, but every now and again just makes it worse, cos that means the exercise you are doing rises drastically from almost nothing...consequences coud be fateful :rolleyes:
    Do you have any evidence to back this up or are you just going by your personal opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Thats so wrong its untrue. By doing high reps and low weight, youre not increasing strength at all, and by doing it more frequently(everyday) youll actually decrease strength. Shift fat? how is it going to do that, granted doing high reps/low weights burns calories but its so small you might as well give up trying to lose fat doing these exercises..
    listen to imasillynarb, he is the master when it comes to weight training.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any evidence to back this up or are you just going by your personal opinion?
    i have no evidence, i think it is just common sense. if you suddenly do outbursts of drastic exercise ofcourse our body is gona slip up somewhere. it will be even worse if these are irregular exercise periods. you can't just go from nothing right up to the top! you have to do continuous exercise and gradually increase the workload (i did gcse pe short course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    So that's why all the gyms I've ever been to (and it's a fair few) advise women who want to increase their strength but not look like russian swimmers to do high reps with low weights. I don't get how doing exercise and targeting specific muscles is going to make you weaker than if you did nothing at all. :confused: It's worked for me anyway.
    How can you increase strength yet not increase muscle mass? Increase muscle mass = bigger muscles = russian swimmer look. What actually happens by doing high reps/low weights is you pump blood into the muscles, making them 'pumped' as we like to say, making them look bigger.

ReputationRep:
    i have no evidence, i think it is just common sense. if you suddenly do outbursts of drastic exercise ofcourse our body is gona slip up somewhere. it will be even worse if these are irregular exercise periods. you can't just go from nothing right up to the top! you have to do continuous exercise and gradually increase the workload (i did gcse pe short course)
    For cardiovascular exercise yes, not for resistance training though..

ReputationRep:
    For cardiovascular exercise yes, not for resistance training though..
    that's true...we did nothing on that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Initially muscle mass is increased - the regular high reps are to maintain the muscle mass, if no excercise was done the muscles would waste away. High rep / low weight makes use of the existing muscle but doesn't build more and more and more. I'm not saying people should use really light weights that are easy to lift because that wouldn't do much, it has to be challenging to the muscles but for maintenance purposes it shouldn't be the heaviest weight that you can lift!
    definately agree with amb1.

ReputationRep:
    the sillynarb is right, high reps is useless. There is a very skinny girl at my gym and she lifts the tinniest weights over and over...needless to say she is still very skinny. I reckon around 4 sets of 10 with a weight your just about comfortable with is good.

btw when men want to increase strength, like for a sport, they do something like 5 sets of 5 reps as heavy as they can. For bigger muscles 3 sets of 10 is norm, with heavy weights. High reps and low weights isn't really good for growing muscles or gaining strength or even burning calories. I think you're better of with 3 sets of 10 (i do 4 myself) and something aerobic to burn calories, it will save time.

In my opinion I think she should forget all this advise based on not trying to look like a russian bodybuilder. The fact is unless she is eating loads of food, training like warrior and taking testorone pills SHE WILL NOT GET MASSIVE BULKY MUSCLES!

there's a workout at the bottom of the page for women, you might want to checkout the site for a less frequent workout

this is a page about debunking a few female training myths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Initially muscle mass is increased - the regular high reps are to maintain the muscle mass, if no excercise was done the muscles would waste away. High rep / low weight makes use of the existing muscle but doesn't build more and more and more. I'm not saying people should use really light weights that are easy to lift because that wouldn't do much, it has to be challenging to the muscles but for maintenance purposes it shouldn't be the heaviest weight that you can lift!
    That's wrong, to maintain the muscle mass you should just carry on with the same reps, sets and weight you always use. Only increasing weight, reps or sets will cause more muscle growth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Isn't that what I said?
    and what i definately agreed to??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Isn't that what I said? Regular reps with the same weights will maintain muscles, increasing the weight will build more muscle.
    I mean if you do 3 sets of 10, get to about 20kg in one exercise then decide you don't want any more mass you carry on with 3s 10r and 20kg.

I disagree with doing higher reps which is what I thought you meant. "the regular high reps are to maintain the muscle mass, if no excercise was done the muscles would waste away". Im saying keep it all the same as before (don't increase reps) and you won't increase your muscle mass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Like I said, the high reps do nothing but pump the muscle full of blood. It takes a bloody long time for muscles to 'waste away' as you put it even if your diet is poor and you do alot of cardio exercise.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, the high reps do nothing but pump the muscle full of blood. It takes a bloody long time for muscles to 'waste away' as you put it even if your diet is poor and you do alot of cardio exercise.
    impressive, how come you know so much about all this stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Yeah, I think we're arguing the same point!!! :rolleyes:
    do u agree high reps are useless? Just checkin'

ReputationRep:
    impressive, how come you know so much about all this stuff?
    Im into amateur bodybuilding myself, the owner of my gym came 1st in some UKs natural bodybuilding event and 2nd in the world event, my training partnet will be entering a similar event in september but for under 21's...read stuff on the internet, try things out for yourself etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Yeah, I think we're arguing the same point!!! :rolleyes:
    hehe, that's so funny! you've had a long convo about it all this time!!

ReputationRep:
    personally i wudnt want to build up too much (eg. jason on bb), i think its not natural and is too much.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.