Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to study accounting and finance abroad but Im not sure Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What is accounting about? What kind of personal skills do I need to have to get this degree? What subject I must be good at to be able to learn accounting and finance? I honestly have no idea what its all about. Im mediocre at math (my average grades are like 3, although I consider myself good at counting, but dimensional geometry or whatever its called in english is my weak point ofc)

There are no big plans I was just wondering tbh, im currently in my last class of IT technical school in Poland, every answer is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asrash)
    What is accounting about? What kind of personal skills do I need to have to get this degree? What subject I must be good at to be able to learn accounting and finance? I honestly have no idea what its all about. Im mediocre at math (my average grades are like 3, although I consider myself good at counting, but dimensional geometry or whatever its called in english is my weak point ofc)

There are no big plans I was just wondering tbh, im currently in my last class of IT technical school in Poland, every answer is appreciated.
    I remember the first thing that my Accounting teacher said a few years ago - "ACCOUNTING IS NOT MATHS", and he stressed this point.
    Yes it involves using numbers pretty much all the time but you certainly don't need geometry or anything. As long as you know how to add and subtract etc you'll be fine.
    There is no particular subject that you need to be good at to study Accounting and Finance. Economics links in well with some aspects.
    If you like the idea of working with numbers and turning them into information you can present, go for it.
    Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asrash)

Accounting and finance is an umbrella term. When doing that in uni, you will have to obviously choose various modules. Financial accounting and management accounting don't require complex maths. Just simple arithmetic skills are fine. But you will also have to pick economics, econometrics, corporate finance, etc. Those require statistics side of maths.

Maths for 'accounting and finance' degree isn't as difficult as Alevel Maths. But your statistics skills have to be pretty good and most importantly you must know why you are using the numbers you are using. Where did that number come from? You must be able to think logically and analyse critically. That's what this course is about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.