Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Now before you say i'm not committed to my course, I am, however not all unis offer the same course and all these courses appeal to me but this thought was flagged whilst researching. How would you cater a PS to different courses?
    I will be going for Oriental Studies/ A combined course of Econ and Oriental Studies and Econ and Management. Now I thinking I should cater towards Oriental Studies since at worst two of my other choices won't be fully affected, and at least half the course I can backup and persuade why I want to study the course.

Now all of these courses appeal to me and I've studied the above before at school. Now some of the universities without naming since I haven't confirmed my choices etc. give the option of submitting an alternative/substitute statement. (quick question here- which unis give the option and can you contact the university to submit an alternative even if it's not advertised?) What would happen say if I Didn't cater to the Econ and Management course (apart from a potential rejection), is it worth trying for it? Not too bothered about rejections as I'm certain I'll make it to a university.

Any advice saying you should reconsider, please don't, I'm pretty set on the courses- it's just which ones make the final list.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Is Econ and Management at Oxford? If so, that would be OK to apply for with a 100% focused econ PS, but it's not possible to apply for two very different majors (oriental studies/econ) with one PS, so it's best you decide which course you want to apply for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    Is Econ and Management at Oxford? If so, that would be OK to apply for with a 100% focused econ PS, but it's not possible to apply for two very different majors (oriental studies/econ) with one PS, so it's best you decide which course you want to apply for
    Hi Thanks for Your Help. Unfortunately not. The Oriental Studies/Econ are the ones which allow substitute statements so therefore that side is ok, however it is the Econ and Management, I'm more worried about not covering enough Management. It's being used more as a backup than anything.

Say i just go for Oriental Studies, and then Oriental Studies/Econ courses, would you sacrifice the Econ side in the main statement to then be covered at those who offer the service of a substitute statement to talk Econ then?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Just because a course allows you to submit an alternative PS doesn't mean it'll do you any favours if you apply for two such different courses, as unis will see what your PS is for for the other choices and therefore could still reject you. You could apply for econ and econ and management relatively easily, and forget about the oriental studies altogether. If Econ and Management is Oxford, many people apply with a 100% focused PS for econ and it's fine, as they know that that is the only way to study econ there

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.