Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do people believe in god because they are scared of death? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want views from both religious people and non-religious people.

ReputationRep:
    yeh
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    That could certainly be one reason why people choose to believe in God, just like a lot of people turn to God/religion during sad or difficult times in their lives. A lot of people also believe in God simply because they have been indoctrinated and/or brought up in a religious household

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gul89)
    people who believe are religious and believe in god AREN'T scared of death, why would you if you are doing good, surely when death awaits you'll have nothing to hide and you'll go to paradise.
    But why would they believe in god in the first place?

Are you religious?

That's one reason, although probably a less common one than tradition/being brought up to believe it.

(Original post by Gul89)
    what do you mean why would you believe in god in the first place, were not products off monkeys mate.
    We aren't, no. We're their cousins.

ReputationRep:
    yea. well it is the second biggest reaso because they're little cowards afraid of not living forever, awwhh diddums.

but the real reason i think is more that they're scared of their friends and family not having a afterlife.
    (atleast i think so, once i hit about 18/19 i wasn't scared of death to the point i can't imagine other people being so - you're scared of dying abit maybe but not death., however the idea of my friends or family being gone forever still makes me feel like a upset boy)

when you tell religious people there isn't afterlife you are saying that their mummy and daddy are wrong and that their mummy and daddy really do just go back to nothing more than dust. it's not just personal, it's 'your mum' levels of personal.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm Muslim and I just view this life as a hallway connecting 2 rooms, and you just pass through the hallway and get to your destination whether that be Heaven or Hell which is after death (at the end of the hallway of life).

People who have done good in this life will look forward to death, and people who have done bad will dread it I guess...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gul89)
    what do you mean why would you believe in god in the first place, were not products off monkeys mate.
    nobody's born believing in God

(Original post by Gul89)
    they might be your cousins but not mine,
    Do you disagree with evolution?

(Original post by Gul89)
    they might be your cousins but not mine,
    Unfortunately, they are your cousins whether you like it or not. :rolleyes: Those opposable thumbs you used to type that comment, remember them? Chimp thumbs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gul89)
    and god gave us a brain to find the truth. (Y)
    So you're saying you believe in God because God gave you a brain?

I'm sure you can see the flaw in that logic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Unfortunately, they are your cousins whether you like it or not. :rolleyes: Those opposable thumbs you used to type that comment, remember them? Chimp thumbs.
    thats right keep degrading yourself like a monkey you are

(Original post by Gul89)
    thats right keep degrading yourself like a monkey you are
    I think everyone seeing this knows which of us is degrading himself.

Back in your box, now. That's like a good chimp. :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gul89)
    I believe in Allah swt because this world didn't come from a big bang, this world came from a creator, a person who created me, who said we are monkeys? you are monkeys, monkey are animals who do anything, like the non believers, they got guidance they'll do anything, like a monkey

some people are beyond help

(Original post by Gul89)
    hahahahaha your so funny why dont u go live in a zoo and socialize with your cousins over there, you might find love there aswell
    Everyone present also knows which of us is more likely to father a child with a close relative.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'm not scared of death and I don't believe in a God.

Religious people fear death because they are indoctrinated to believe in judgement day; when they have to answer for their mortal existence with the prospect of living in unimaginable agony if they are sent to hell - and there is no way of knowing if they will pass the test or not.

It may be true that this prospect alone drives people to control the actions of offspring out of fear for their potential immortal existence.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gul89)
    I believe in Allah swt because this world didn't come from a big bang, this world came from a creator, a person who created me, who said we are monkeys? you are monkeys, monkey are animals who do anything, like the non believers, they got guidance they'll do anything, like a monkey
    You are literally a monkey's cousin.

Get some bananas while there are still some around.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Great question.
    As an agnostic atheist, I can tell you that there are many reasons why people believe in God, it's not that they are necessarily scared of death.
    For example, some people are brought up believing in God, some people have had religious experiences and stuff and that's why they believe.
    Sure there are some that could be scared of death, but why would that make them believe in God? Even if they were loyal to God they still would go through the experience of "death" then heaven/hell or purgatory or whatever you call it. So if they were scared surely believeing in God wouldn't help?
    Personally, I'm not scared of death, I think it's probably an interesting experience, I don't know how wierd this is but I do often think about what it's like, whether it's painful, a state of mind etc. I really don't think any belief in God would make it more/less these things. #PhysicsAndChemistry4theWin

(Original post by Gul89)
    funny guy, still with the animal being your cousin and all perhaps your best bet is a farmyard, thats where your dad found your mum rolling in her own waste, dont worry monkey i think we all know what animal your mum was

no, you and hydeman can go to the zoo and go on the pull there
    It must be tough being an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Not this again

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.