Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do people believe in god because they are scared of death? Watch

Announcements

(Original post by Cherry82)
    Yes the bible does contain violence but for someone to knowingly or unknowingly exlude its numerous positive and peaceful aspects, deeming it as solely hateful/ hate speech or evil is wrong.
    It's not necessary to acknowledge the nicer bits of a book every time it's criticised; it's implicit that, in quoting just a few verses, you're referring to those few verses alone, not the rest of the book. That's what quotation is.

There does seem to be this notion among a lot of Christians that the nicer bits somehow negate or excuse the violence and the evil, hence, I presume, the eagerness to have Jesus's love and compassion mentioned at every opportunity under the guise of fairness. They don't.

You can have all the environmental stewardship and forgiveness you want, but that still doesn't detract from the violence in the Bible (or any other book, as a matter of fact), so there's little point in insisting that people 'correct' their view by taking into account all the nice bits; chances are, they already have, and have still come to a different conclusion to yours. It doesn't mean that they don't know about the 'positive and peaceful' aspects, especially given how widely advertised those aspects are if you live in the UK.

Also, it seems that you're confusing difference of interpretation with misquotation. If somebody says that Genesis claims that the world was created in six days (seven if you want to count the day God rested) and that this is therefore an indication that the Bible is not in keeping with what we know about the formation of our planet, your disagreement with that person is not an indication that that person doesn't know what he's talking about or is misquoting the Bible.

Your interpretation of the Bible insists that this particular part is metaphorical and that the 'days' can represent longer time periods -- but that doesn't change the fact that this is what it actually says in Genesis. A literalist interpretation is no less valid or informed than your metaphorical one and is certainly not grounds for you to accuse whoever uses a literalist interpretation to criticise the Bible of not having a clue about Christianity or its teachings. It's worth noting that Christianity (i.e. the various denominations and schools of thought within denominations) is itself agreed on remarkably little beyond the compulsory veneration of a man named Jesus, so pretending that any criticism relying on a premise that doesn't agree with your interpretation of the texts is necessarily coming from a position of ignorance is hardly good debating etiquette.

ReputationRep:
    -Snip boring dribble-

"I'm religious because it's comfortable, not because it's logical."

ReputationRep:
    There are no atheists in foxholes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittyboy)
    No, it's logical. With a set of simple religious rituals you may get a ticket for comfortable immortal life. :cool:
    • Welcome Squad

In short, yes.

No one wants to derive from nothing and live knowing they'll be a nothing again.

ReputationRep:
    If that's what you've chosen to think and believe about why I believe in a God, then by all means, please do as you're free to feel and think whatever you like. However just know, it says a whole lot more about you and your character. Just continue ignoring what I have to say as I guess it's 'Snip boring dribble'. How rude? Does this seem like someone who is genuinely interested about why people believe or is opened to other people's religions and ideas??? I think not. You may disagree, I do not care.

ReputationRep:
    If that's what you've chosen to think and believe about why I believe in a God, then by all means, please do as you're free to feel and think whatever you like. However just know, it says a whole lot more about you and your character. Just continue ignoring what I have to say as I guess it's 'Snip boring dribble'. How rude? Does this seem like someone who is genuinely interested about why people believe or is opened to other people's religions and ideas??? I think not. You may disagree, I do not care.
    It's funny how you go straight on the attack rather than bothering to reform a defense. That says a lot about your ostensibly whimsical faith

it says a whole lot more about you and your character.?
    Now who's being impertinent?

ReputationRep:
    I think they use religion to convince themselves that they aren't afraid of death. They tell themselves over and over that death will be great because they'll go to heaven and everyone they love will be there, so it'll be just like life but without the sad bits. They tell themselves it until they believe it and get angry if you disagree because they are terrified of the alternative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    It's not necessary to acknowledge the nicer bits of a book every time it's criticised; it's implicit that, in quoting just a few verses, you're referring to those few verses alone, not the rest of the book. That's what quotation is.

There does seem to be this notion among a lot of Christians that the nicer bits somehow negate or excuse the violence and the evil, hence, I presume, the eagerness to have Jesus's love and compassion mentioned at every opportunity under the guise of fairness. They don't.

You can have all the environmental stewardship and forgiveness you want, but that still doesn't detract from the violence in the Bible (or any other book, as a matter of fact), so there's little point in insisting that people 'correct' their view by taking into account all the nice bits; chances are, they already have, and have still come to a different conclusion to yours. It doesn't mean that they don't know about the 'positive and peaceful' aspects, especially given how widely advertised those aspects are if you live in the UK.

Also, it seems that you're confusing difference of interpretation with misquotation. If somebody says that Genesis claims that the world was created in six days (seven if you want to count the day God rested) and that this is therefore an indication that the Bible is not in keeping with what we know about the formation of our planet, your disagreement with that person is not an indication that that person doesn't know what he's talking about or is misquoting the Bible....
    Before I even think of continuing, I would like to make a quick point.
    You had quoted 'It's not necessary to acknowledge the nicer bits of a book every time it's criticised' which I agree with because it's true to some extent.
    But first and foremost, some of these 'not so nice' claims made by some users are not even true then to the ones that were true- if I was speaking and criticising a source as a whole, wouldn't this need a different approach?
    If the user had claimed, 'yes there are some nice, lovely aspects of the bible but focusing on the negatives' then had made their point- wouldn't this be a better approach? If I was speaking about, random example a person i.e let's say a celebrity, my favourite performer- Michael Jackson. Yes I know this isn't a fair comparison however I'm trying to find a way to present what I am saying. Michael Jackson is known for his awesome music, the phenomenal moon walk dance and talent. However he is also known for his skin condition and legal cases surrounding child molestation. Whether he did it or not is another story. But If I was to speak about him as a whole, would it be fair to focus and say only one aspect of his life or identity to shape up him as whole? It wouldn't be fair as that aspect on it's own doesn't make Michael Jackson and his character wholly. There is the nice and ugly.

He/She gave the notion previously that the bible was simply homophobia, racism, hate speech etc etc and as if the bible only contained evil practices and teachings. I am saying, there are parts to the bible I personally disagree with however there are also aspects of the bible that made me and others better people! Spreading a good positive message so this idea and attitude that is being projected of the bible being ALL evil is wrong because there are good in the bible.

'I presume, the eagerness to have Jesus's love and compassion mentioned at every opportunity under the guise of fairnes.' I wasn't quite sure what you had meant by this, would you mind elaborating?

Oh my, sigh, you've seemed to misunderstand me.
    I am saying there are violent aspects of the bible HOWEVER there are also good, peaceful aspects of the bible too. I am neither trying to counterfeit the violent aspects or good aspect, claiming neither does not exist. I am only correcting those that were wrong-- whether the passage was violent or peaceful. You're now putting words in my mouth, assuming I have an agenda.
    All I am saying is to claim the bible is ONLY violence as some here have tried insinuating is incorrect! I was asked how could I follow the bible, I explained why and how it made me a better person in my own opinion. If I am completely honest, I'm sensing a bit of biased approaches from those at the other end. Fair enough you do not believe, but do not try to make the bible seem like a malevolent piece of work. It's insulting. If this is something I follow, are you trying to state then that my beliefs are malevolent? It's a huge aspect to my identity, I do not think I and other Christians are malevolent because of our beliefs that we practice whether those believe they are diabolic or not.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they just want a purpose in life?

Am I the the only one that'd be more afraid of death if a god did exist?
    I do not wish to have an afterlife. In either heaven or hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    Am I the the only one that'd be more afraid of death of a god did exist.
    I do not wish to have an afterlife. In either heaven or hell.
    This was actually me even when I was still a Christian.
    Now I really don't care. Death is a natural aspect of life (even with the irony), it will happen. It still scares me sometimes but as of now, I'm sort of excited because I'm so eager to know what happens after death. I'm so eager to know who is right and who is wrong. Are atheists right? Are Christians right? Are Muslims right? Or could it be possible that we are all wrong?Though many here, including me speak with such confidence neither of us have died yet to experience and know the ultimate truth.

This is going to sound bizarre but I sometimes envy the dead because only they truly know if God does exist or not. If he doesn't, they probably don't know anything and are just gone but if he does, they know the reality or what the unseen has to offer.

This now has nothing to do with believing in Jesus but the desire of knowing the truth. I am for the truth. I'm in an odd position concerning my faith at the moment. I would describe myself as theistic however even 'Christian' is now becoming different from me though I love Jesus Christ and Yahweh- it's more complicated than it seems. But anyhoo, all I am saying is I can't wait to know who or what was right or wrong. If God doesn't exist, I would be perfectly ok with that because it would be the truth and when I die nothing will happen so I guess I wouldn't even know haha. However if he does and life after death does exist, I have so many questions I would like to ask. I'm simply seeking the truth and nothing else so if the truth is different from what masses believe, it wouldn't matter to me. I've even written a list for just in case lol I'm sounding ludicrous but the fact of knowing no one certainty knows haunts yet leaves an eagerness of wanting to know. Though I am confident a God exists, I am not certain and I am neither certain that I know the deity's character but I'm intrigued and would love to know.
    Sorry if I went off track but yea, you're definitely not the only one.

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how you go straight on the attack rather than bothering to reform a defense. That says a lot about your ostensibly whimsical faith

Now who's being impertinent?
    Pfft. Oh please...

ReputationRep:
    Pfft. Oh please...
    "pff. Oh please." You're only affirming the undeniable now. You're not really religious. You're just scared

ReputationRep:
    "pff. Oh please." You're only affirming the undeniable now. You're not really religious. You're just scared
    :congrats::yawn:

ReputationRep:
    :congrats::yawn:
    So I win? Can I go to heaven now?

protip: feigning indifference doesn't work on me <3

ReputationRep:
    So I win? Can I go to heaven now?

protip: feigning indifference doesn't work on me <3
    Lol I have no kinder, more Christian way of saying this but could you kindly piss off? I can see this is just a joke to you but I take my beliefs very seriously. It's a huge aspect of my identity and this shaped who I am today. It's not a game to me, maybe to you but certainly not for me. As to whether you can enter heaven that, you could ask Richard Dawkins.
    And may I add- this isn't some sort of battle. Even if I was right and God does exist, do you think it would bring me satisfaction of knowing you were wrong? It genuinely would not. Yea, it would be awesome knowing God is real but if aspects such as a hell existed, it would bring uneasiness to me. In theory I am susceptible to hell as you are though I am confident in Yahweh, it could be Allah who is there therefore condemning me to hell. My desire is even for everyone to live a happily ever after ending, where everyone could just get along in a perfect world with no problems with God. But what I want doesn't matter. It's not about what I want but what is the truth. I'm seeking the truth even if it may sound diabolical to others.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I have no kinder, more Christian way of saying this but could you kindly piss off? I can see this is just a joke to you but I take my beliefs very seriously. It's a huge aspect of my identity and this shaped who I am today. It's not a game to me, maybe to you but certainly not for me. As to whether you can enter heaven that, you could ask Richard Dawkins.
    And may I add- this isn't some sort of battle. Even if I was right and God does exist, do you think it would bring me satisfaction of knowing you were wrong? It genuinely would not. Yea, it would be awesome knowing God is real but if aspects such as a hell existed, it would bring uneasiness to me. In theory I am susceptible to hell as you are though I am confident in Yahweh, it could be Allah who is there therefore condemning me to hell. My desire is even for everyone to live a happily ever after ending, where everyone could just get along in a perfect world with no problems with God. But what I want doesn't matter. It's not about what I want but what is the truth. I'm seeking the truth even if it may sound diabolical to others.
    I'll piss off after this because I'm simply not getting through. I'll refrain from trying to get a religious person to try and think objectively ever again because it's like getting a drunkard to walk in a straight, logical line.

It is hard to see your last few lines as being genuine. If you are seeking the "truth" then why are you hunkering down as a Christian? There are thousands of religions and lack thereof and all of these are equally as viable. Didn't you ever do probabilities in maths?

Also, define this "truth." Is said truth your way of objectifying life so you can have an easier time, doing your homework and being nice to people in the vain hope that everything is worth it because you'll end up for an eternity in some paradise? Or is this truth what exists in actuality? Clearly it's the former, or you wouldn't have chosen Christianity in the first place.

Try to observe the world around you and how pointless and futile everything is. If you were to drop dead tomorrow for instance, or get a handsome boyfriend, or whatever you do, kill your family perhaps, the universe is still totally apathetic. Does that really suggest some "divine plan" or "truth"?

I cannot go on. I am sorry that you have been indoctrinated. Break your bonds! Don't be scared to think a little for yourself, too few people do.

ReputationRep:
    I'll piss off after this because I'm simply not getting through. I'll refrain from trying to get a religious person to try and think objectively ever again because it's like getting a drunkard to walk in a straight, logical line.

It is hard to see your last few lines as being genuine. If you are seeking the "truth" then why are you hunkering down as a Christian? There are thousands of religions and lack thereof and all of these are equally as viable. Didn't you ever do probabilities in maths?

Also, define this "truth." Is said truth your way of objectifying life so you can have an easier time, doing your homework and being nice to people in the vain hope that everything is worth it because you'll end up for an eternity in some paradise? Or is this truth what exists in actuality? Clearly it's the former, or you wouldn't have chosen Christianity in the first place.

Try to observe the world around you and how pointless and futile everything is. If you were to drop dead tomorrow for instance, or get a handsome boyfriend, or whatever you do, kill your family perhaps, the universe is still totally apathetic. Does that really suggest some "divine plan" or "truth"?

I cannot go on. I am sorry that you have been indoctrinated. Break your bonds! Don't be scared to think a little for yourself, too few people do.
    It's better you don't go on because I'll only point out again wrong misconceptions about me, my beliefs and your judgements concerning me as a Christian. There's so many misconceptions about me as a Christian in those few paragraphs you've created. 'Don't be scared to think a little for yourself, too few people do.' I mean who said I do not already think this?
    'Is said truth your way of objectifying life so you can have an easier time'- I'm not here for hearsay. Tell me what you know not what is 'said' and that you had heard. In fact ask me and I will explain my 'way of objectifying life' and it's purpose. 'Doing your homework and being nice to people in the vain hope that everything is worth it because you'll end up for an eternity in some paradise.' LOL. Is this a joke?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.