Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B919 - Train Service Delay Compensation Bill 2016 (Second Reading) Watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    B919 - Train Service Delay Compensation Bill 2016 (Second Reading), TSR Conservative and Unionist Party
    A

B I L L

TO

Simplify the process of claiming compensation for delayed train services.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Delayed services
    (1) All train operators must have a public page listed on their website displaying all services that have been delayed by 30 minutes or more.
    aaaaa(i) This page must be accessible through their menu bar.
    (2) These delayed services must remain on their website for 60 days.

2 Compensation Process
    (1) All train operators must allow customers up to 60 days from the date of travel to claim compensation.
    (2) All train operators must offer compensation in the following ways:
    aaaaa(i) rail voucher through the post redeemable at ticket office, or at self-service machines
    aaaaa(ii) online voucher to be used on any official website offering train tickets, including third party sites
    aaaaa(iii) cheque through the post
    aaaaa(iv) BACS transfer
    aaaaa(v) companies must offer a refund through their website. If tickets were purchased through a third party website, this website may claim back the cost from the operator.

3 Compensation Payout
    (1) For delays of between 30–59 minutes, train operators must payout at least 50% of a single ticket, or 25% of a return ticket.
    (2) For delays of between 60–89 minutes, train operators must payout at least 100% of a single ticket, or 50% of a return ticket.
    (3) For delays of 90 minutes or more, train operators must payout 150% of a single ticket, or 75% of a return ticket.

4 Commencement, Extent and Short Title
    (1) This Act may be cited as the Train Service Delay Compensation Act 2016.
    (2) This Act extends to the entire United Kingdom; and
    (3) Comes into force on 1st March 2016 following Royal Assent.

Notes
    Spoiler:
    Show

This Bill seeks to make it easier for customers to claim compensation for delays.

Having train operators list all delayed services by 30 minutes or more makes it easy for the customer to find any services they could claim for, and increases transparency year round.

Currently, train operators are only required to give 30 days to claim, and to pay out in rail vouchers which must be redeemed at a ticket office. This means that it's harder for customers to make savings online through sites offering early discounts, and renders the compensation useless if the customer does not travel by rail within 12 months. Whilst some companies may offer to pay out in other ways (eg. cash), there is no requirement for them to do so.

Sections 3(1) and 3(2) are the current requirements for payout, but if services are delayed for an extended amount of time, customers should receive further compensation for these ridiculously timed delays.

Notes for 2nd Reading
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Added s. 1(1)(i) – must be accessible through menu bar, to stop companies hiding away the page.
    Added s. 2(2)(v) – companies must offer refund through website.
    Changed s. 3(3) – made this clearer.

I did not add in about season tickets. Season tickets are dealt with slightly differently, and I feel for this Bill, it's a more complex issue which can be dealt with separately.
    I also did not change the minimum time for a delay to claim compensation. I do not feel this is necessary.

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    An Aye naturally
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    2(2) looks a little bit ambiguous - I presume you mean in one of those ways?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Train delays are disgraceful. If we are to compete with the world's best economies, we need to have decent public transport. I think it should be nationalised - it would be far more efficient that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Train delays are disgraceful. If we are to compete with the world's best economies, we need to have decent public transport. I think it should be nationalised - it would be far more efficient that way.
    I don't think you will convince the tories to change this bill to one nationalising the trains sadly
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye. A sensible Tory bill for once.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, though I would have local management and control wherever possible (ScotRail by the Scottish Parliament for example).

On the matter of compensation, this Bill is a step forward and better than the current system, and if we had state owned railways, I would advocate keeping a system of delay compensation in any case.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Aye. A sensible Tory bill for once.
    So the British Investment Bank bill last term wasn't sensible?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Well it's going in the right direction

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    So the British Investment Bank bill last term wasn't sensible?
    That wasn't too bad....you have about one sensible bill per term
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Make your mind up, do you want it decent or do you want in nationalised?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Make your mind up, do you want it decent or do you want in nationalised?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well its obvious the left want more nationalisation ! More power to the state ....
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I'm very much inclined to agree.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    aye
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye, can't disagree with it.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.