Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

#growingupwithmyname Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My surname is confusing and every teacher said it differently. Some of the things they came up with were embarrassing and I got laughed at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have never used the name on my official certificates as I have been called a nickname since I was born so unless you know me closely, you wouldn't even know what my full name is. However no matter how many times I kept telling teachers not to call me that name and reminding them that I have a nickname, most of them either forgot or completely ignored it because they probably didn't want to be 'informal' which is really annoying, because aside from teachers, nobody ever called me that name. It's just a completely ordinary name but I don't like it at all, so I wanted to change it after I graduated high school however it never happened because I thought about it too late and by that time I had applied to uni etc so it would've been a hassle to legally change everything with SFE and UCAS etc so I just didn't bother but I plan on doing it after I graduate uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    My name is spelt irregularly, very irregularly. Not met one person with its spelling, so every single time we had a new teacher, they made a scene of it and I got laughed at

To make it worse I was first on the register too lmao.
    Is it Aaaaaaaaaron

Spelt the common way, my name isn't too common anyway, but spelt the way mine is, I've only ever met other person with it.

It means I spend majority of my time correcting people on how it's pronounced, if they read it on paper, and correcting people on how it's spelt if they hear it aloud.

As well as this, I have a signed CD from a band I like with my name spelt incorrectly. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    is it aaaaaaaaaron
    you done messed up a-aron

(Original post by whydoidothis?)
    You poor kids someone pronounced your name wrong or even worse someone had the same name as you.

fuc* my balls these 'trends' are so pointless and sheepy
    I'm aware it's trivial. :laugh: I'm not too bothered about it.

Although I will note the time I went through an entire year of college with my name spelt wrong on the system because they'd written it down wrong. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    My name sounds like a swear word in English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy.98)
    Phuc?
    Close, but no, not THAT bad, although you guessed which swear word it was
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Constantly being called Jasmine instead of Yasmin -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Regret786)
    My name sounds like a swear word in English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wunderbarr)
    "Isn't that a girls name?" when clearly, it is a somewhat popular unisex name.

:unimpressed: :unimpressed: :unimpressed:
    I want to guess. What letter does it begin with?

ReputationRep:
    Close, but no, not THAT bad, although you guessed which swear word it was
    oh you missed my edit lol
    omg what is it?

ReputationRep:
    I feel rather embarrassed to say it, especially to someone I just met online

ReputationRep:
    I share my initials with James Bond, Jack Bauer and Jason Bourne. Life is good.

ReputationRep:
    I feel rather embarrassed to say it, especially to someone I just met online
    dont be embarrassed about it, embrace it instead
    but its okay i understand

ReputationRep:
    I have a japanese name and I am persian/scottish so that makes it awkward

ReputationRep:
    I get complimented on my name. So all is good. Plus its rare that i come across someone with my name. Only know 1 so far

ReputationRep:
    I like my name. It's not common so I also missed out on the whole key rings/mugs fiasco but I'm not bothered. I'm happy with it, thx mum and dad

ReputationRep:
    All I'll say is that my name ends in ...faq. And it's not Ashfaq.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    My name has always had beautiful variations of spelling and pronunciations, now I just always just introduce myself by saying my name then telling them "but you can call me [nickname]".. it makes everyone's lives that little bit easier :ahee:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.