Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hiring a van, do I need insurance? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know it's a silly question, but Google is being absolutely no help to me right now.

Basically I am in need of hiring out a van to carry a motorcycle across the country, I'm 23 and hiring a vehicle is something I've never done.

Would the van I hired come inclusive with insurance so that it is legal for me to drive on UK roads? Or would I need to also find insurance for a day through an external company?

Even looking on hire vehicles websites they seem to lack this information.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    definitely look into this... there are plenty of advice sites:

this looked interesting

http://insuremyvanhire.com

ReputationRep:
    It will include insurance, however the excess will be eye watering (probably between £500 and £1000). The hire company will probably let you reduce the excess but will charge quite a lot extra. Last time I hired a van and asked for a reduced excess they charged me £15 a day for the privilege.

There are companies, like the one The Bear has suggested, who sell policies to cover the excess. I've never used any of them, but I will be looking into them next time I need to hire a car or van.

The other thing to bare in mind is many hire companies will expect you to have a credit card, and will take a deposit.

ReputationRep:
    Might be cheaper to hire a courier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    definitely look into this... there are plenty of advice sites:

this looked interesting

http://insuremyvanhire.com
    Insuring my insurance, that's a new one. It does look interesting though, thank you for the link!

(Original post by KCLeblanc)
    It will include insurance, however the excess will be eye watering (probably between £500 and £1000). The hire company will probably let you reduce the excess but will charge quite a lot extra. Last time I hired a van and asked for a reduced excess they charged me £15 a day for the privilege.

There are companies, like the one The Bear has suggested, who sell policies to cover the excess. I've never used any of them, but I will be looking into them next time I need to hire a car or van.

The other thing to bare in mind is many hire companies will expect you to have a credit card, and will take a deposit.
    That's definitely good to know it'll have insurance included, despite the large potential negative costs. I appreciate the heads up. Do you think a debit card would work fine?

(Original post by JC.)
    Might be cheaper to hire a courier?
    I believe it would be around the same price to get it delivered, the only problem is that I also need to be transported across the country with it.

ReputationRep:
    Normally the insurance is provided, but check the van for dinks and dents before you start
    I have collected bikes in transits before and so long as you drive carefully had nobody hits you the excess may not be a worry

I assume that you need to collect the van in one location and drop it off at the destination rather than a round trip.

I bought a bike on eBay and collected it but it cost almost as much in diesel as the van hire ( return trip)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seanmhc)

I believe it would be around the same price to get it delivered, the only problem is that I also need to be transported across the country with it.
    Is there a reason why you can't just put on yer skid lid and ride it?

Van's aren't exactly cheap on diesel.

ReputationRep:
    depends how many people you're planning on abducting xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seanmhc)
    That's definitely good to know it'll have insurance included, despite the large potential negative costs. I appreciate the heads up. Do you think a debit card would work fine?
    I would check with whoever you're hiring the van from. I know at least one person who's had issues hiring a car because he didn't have a credit card. I've always used credit cards when I've hired cars or vans.

You also might find a smaller local hire company more flexible then one of the national firms.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.