Work experience and panic attacks Watch

Hevachan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 49 years ago
In May im doing work experience in a centre for vulnerable women. I want a career in the charity sector helping people. Problem: i have an anxiety disorder and have had it for a long time.
I went for an informal meeting the other day, within 30 seconds i felt a panic attack start, it was as if someone had poured a cold bucket of adrenaline over my head. I ended up crying infront of the woman - how embarrassing.
Since then my instinct says don't go there! Do something easy! But my brain says this may be my only chance and I need to be brave.
Is it possible i can do it? Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated
triphazards
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Hevachan)
In May im doing work experience in a centre for vulnerable women. I want a career in the charity sector helping people. Problem: i have an anxiety disorder and have had it for a long time.
I went for an informal meeting the other day, within 30 seconds i felt a panic attack start, it was as if someone had poured a cold bucket of adrenaline over my head. I ended up crying infront of the woman - how embarrassing.
Since then my instinct says don't go there! Do something easy! But my brain says this may be my only chance and I need to be brave.
Is it possible i can do it? Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated
analyse why you experience symptoms of anxiety in that situation, Or why anxiety from a previous situation may have resulted in a coping mechanism in this situation. If you can pinpoint this cause, try and work at defeating it small steps at a time. especially if it is centred around meeting new people. break the cycle. Don't give up, and be positive. Break down the situations you will be faced with and try and work out what would happen in all circumstances so you are prepared. As for panic attacks, when you feel like you are about to have one start to concentrate on square breathing, or 7x7 breathing techniques (once mastered will really help to alleviate many of the physical symptoms). And as for preventing them? The only answer to that is practice and frequent involvement in the situation that creates them. you can do this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Blondie987
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well first of all, I'm sure your interviewer has had plenty of experience with anxiety if they are working in such an environment and anxiety disorder is nothing to be embarrassed about so try not to work yourself up over it (although I know that's easier said than done with anxiety)
Hevachan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by triphazards)
analyse why you experience symptoms of anxiety in that situation, Or why anxiety from a previous situation may have resulted in a coping mechanism in this situation. If you can pinpoint this cause, try and work at defeating it small steps at a time. especially if it is centred around meeting new people. break the cycle. Don't give up, and be positive. Break down the situations you will be faced with and try and work out what would happen in all circumstances so you are prepared. As for panic attacks, when you feel like you are about to have one start to concentrate on square breathing, or 7x7 breathing techniques (once mastered will really help to alleviate many of the physical symptoms). And as for preventing them? The only answer to that is practice and frequent involvement in the situation that creates them. you can do this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for such practical advice I think one of my main fears is being unable to control my anxiety haha so if i sense danger e.g someone telling me about their bad experiences or just having a negative tone then i panic about panicking! I will work on my coping techniques im normally good at breathing but it just went out of the window!
muzi123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i have the same . We need to find a cure for it .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads