heriot watt is pretty high on the league tables
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blessed107)
    swansea uni vs aston vs heriot watt,

in terms on employment and reputation??/

pls help
    Hi,

We rank above both Swansea and Heriot-Watt in both the Complete University Guide and Sunday Times University Guide

73% of our students also choose to take a placement year, which gives them a years experience in a professional role. Whilst i was doing my undergraduate at Aston, i had a friend who did a placement at Pespi Co during his Chemical Engineering degree and now works for BAE systems helping build submarines.

I realize i've thrown a load of stats at you here, so if you have any questions about student life at Aston, or Birmingham in general i would be happy to help, being a 2014 graduate and local.

Josh

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Thank you for expressing an interest in Swansea University and Chemical Engineering. Our College of Engineering is now based at our brand new Bay Campus which opened in September 2015 - http://www.swansea.ac.uk/engineering/bay-campus/
    Chemical Engineering at Swansea University is ranked number 18 on 'The Complete University Guide' and is 4th in the UK for Student Satisfaction. Do you have any other questions about Swansea University? Have you visited us before?

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I will try my best to help!

pls help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aston University)
    x
    (Original post by Swansea University)
    x
    Is this a potential fight I see?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TunaTunnel)
    Indeed we just need Heriot Watt to come along now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TunaTunnel)
    We can co-exist peacefully. TSR is about helping choose the right university, not being an aggressive salesman.

Josh

Hi,

We rank above both Swansea and Heriot-Watt in both the Complete University Guide and Sunday Times University Guide

73% of our students also choose to take a placement year, which gives them a years experience in a professional role. Whilst i was doing my undergraduate at Aston, i had a friend who did a placement at Pespi Co during his Chemical Engineering degree and now works for BAE systems helping build submarines.

I realize i've thrown a load of stats at you here, so if you have any questions about student life at Aston, or Birmingham in general i would be happy to help, being a 2014 graduate and local.

Josh
    hi,

my question is like is it quite easy for graduates especially from the chem eng degree at your univeristy to attain positions post graduation as chemical engineers? do u have any percentages to back it up for example like say 70% of our grads have achieved jobs in chemicall engineering straight away?

Hello,

Thank you for expressing an interest in Swansea University and Chemical Engineering. Our College of Engineering is now based at our brand new Bay Campus which opened in September 2015 - http://www.swansea.ac.uk/engineering/bay-campus/
    Chemical Engineering at Swansea University is ranked number 18 on 'The Complete University Guide' and is 4th in the UK for Student Satisfaction. Do you have any other questions about Swansea University? Have you visited us before?

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I will try my best to help!
    hi,

i was wondering if its quite easy for chem engineering graduates from your university that can attain a chemical engineering position post graduation? do u have any statistics that you can show me? have u got examples of success stories from ur univeristy who have gone on to do so

ReputationRep:
    hi,

i was wondering if its quite easy for chem engineering graduates from your university that can attain a chemical engineering position post graduation? do u have any statistics that you can show me? have u got examples of success stories from ur univeristy who have gone on to do so
    Hello,

The demand for Chemical Engineering graduates remains excellent with the highest starting salaries out of all engineering disciplines at Swansea University. 94% of our engineering graduates are in employment or further study within six months (DLHE) and we are 7th in the UK for graduate prospects which is great.
    There are also many global career opportunities to work in a range of industries including energy, water, healthcare and the environment.Some of our recent Chemical Engineering graduates now have jobs at EDF Energy, AstraZeneca, Nuclear Graduate Planning Engineer, Chemical Engineer, SABIC and Phillips 66. For more information on engineering careers please visit this web page -
    www.swansea.ac.uk/engineering/careers/

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

ReputationRep:
    hi,

my question is like is it quite easy for graduates especially from the chem eng degree at your univeristy to attain positions post graduation as chemical engineers? do u have any percentages to back it up for example like say 70% of our grads have achieved jobs in chemicall engineering straight away?
    Hi,

Unfortunately i don't have any statistics to hand, i'm sure you can find out if you contact our careers+placements team, or the admissions team associated with our chemical engineering course.

However i the graduates of our chemical engeering course have went onto secure jobs at the following companies: Procter and Gamble, Stone and Webster, BP, ExxonMobil, Kodak, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Unilever, AMEC, British Energy, Kappa, Mowlem, BT, Corus and Pfizer.

Hope that helps.

Josh
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bath_Student)
    Indeed we just need Heriot Watt to come along now!
    Paging Heriot-Watt University

Hello,

The demand for Chemical Engineering graduates remains excellent with the highest starting salaries out of all engineering disciplines at Swansea University. 94% of our engineering graduates are in employment or further study within six months (DLHE) and we are 7th in the UK for graduate prospects which is great.
    There are also many global career opportunities to work in a range of industries including energy, water, healthcare and the environment.Some of our recent Chemical Engineering graduates now have jobs at EDF Energy, AstraZeneca, Nuclear Graduate Planning Engineer, Chemical Engineer, SABIC and Phillips 66. For more information on engineering careers please visit this web page -
    www.swansea.ac.uk/engineering/careers/

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
    can you tell me the percentage of graduates that come out with 2.1 or first?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I've checked with our Engineering department and 52.5% of last year's Chemical Engineering graduates had a 1st or 2.1 and 95% of our MEng graduates got a 1st or 2.1. I hope this helps - please let me know if you have any further questions and I will try my best to help.

can you tell me the percentage of graduates that come out with 2.1 or first?

ReputationRep:
    How can Aston say they are higher up the league table for chem emg than HW when HW is 5th and Aston 24th in the first league table they quote, the CUG?

Hi,

Unfortunately i don't have any statistics to hand, i'm sure you can find out if you contact our careers+placements team, or the admissions team associated with our chemical engineering course.

However i the graduates of our chemical engeering course have went onto secure jobs at the following companies: Procter and Gamble, Stone and Webster, BP, ExxonMobil, Kodak, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Unilever, AMEC, British Energy, Kappa, Mowlem, BT, Corus and Pfizer.

Hope that helps.

Josh
    can you tell me what percentage of grads from chem Eng at your uni get 2.1 or first?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    can you tell me what percentage of grads from chem Eng at your uni get 2.1 or first?
    Most engineering students at any uni will get a 2:1 or better. But that doesn't mean *you* will, unless you do the work

ReputationRep:
    Hi jneill,

I am here, don't worry, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth or off on an extended holiday! No one is going to pull me into a battle with Josh from Aston or Swansea Uni... they might be bigger than me and I am scared!

pls help
    blessed107,

We spoke a couple of months back and if you have any more questions about HW please just pop me an email again

Glad you have got us on your shortlist though! :thumbsup:

We can co-exist peacefully. TSR is about helping choose the right university, not being an aggressive salesman.

Josh

Couldn't agree more! Advice and guidance is why I am here, if a student goes to a different uni as long as it for the right reasons I am happy.

Apologies for the multi quotes... just I am a little slow on the uptake of this thread.

Cheers,
    Keir

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying Chemical engineering at Swansea and to say it has been a dissapointment would be a huge understatement. Despite what Swansea claim student satisfaction currently, based on my own experience and what other students tell me, is very low. While Swansea will try and say that they get overwhemingly good feedback from the students, what they wont tell you is that only about 20% of students give any feedback at all. Most student who are dissatisfied just grumble amongst themselves or complain to their personal tutors ( who never take any action, I might add).

I have noticed that many of the worst lecturers are relatively new though, so to be fair it could of been better a couple of years ago. Although that still doesn't excuse the unacceptably low standards of teaching, with a general consensus among the students being that only around half the modules are currently being taught properly.

Also worth noting is that Swansea has been in trouble in the past for pressuring the students to give it a good review:

http://www.theguardian.com/global/20...-investigation

As a current student who deeply regrets my decision to come here I stongly advise you against choosing Swansea university.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.