Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there a set date that National 5 Physics assisgnments have to be submitted? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you happen to know when National 5 Physics (or any National 5 science assignment, for that matter) are to be formally submitted to the SQA? Or are they marked internally?

ReputationRep:
    The course assignment is externally assessed by the SQA, and it would have to be submitted by mid March

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTS_99)
    The course assignment is externally assessed by the SQA, and it would have to be submitted by mid March
    Just to clarify, the process goes something like this, right?

1. I pick a topic related to the course, do a bit of research and gather sufficient data/information such that I could write the assignment.

2. Once I've done my research, I write out my assignment under the supervision of a teacher.

3. The teacher then sends my assignment off and it is marked by an external SQA marker?

ReputationRep:
    What I did last year was that the whole class did their assignment on the same topic - something about seat belts and forces I think - which you research and write up in class under teacher supervision. You will complete a fly leaf with your name, centre, SCN, date of birth, and declare that you have read and understood the contents of the 'Your Coursework' booklet which should have been given to you by now. The SQA will collect the coursework and mark it. The assignment will make up 20-30% of your final mark I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PTS_99)
    What I did last year was that the whole class did their assignment on the same topic - something about seat belts and forces I think - which you research and write up in class under teacher supervision. You will complete a fly leaf with your name, centre, SCN, date of birth, and declare that you have read and understood the contents of the 'Your Coursework' booklet which should have been given to you by now. The SQA will collect the coursework and mark it. The assignment will make up 20-30% of your final mark I believe.
    Do you happen to know what mark you achieved out of 20?

And what is the average mark? Is it fairly common for students - who put in a bit of effort, at least - to get near full-marks?

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember what I got exactly I'm afraid but I'm pretty sure it was around 16-20. It is definitely worth putting in the effort to try and get the full marks because it can really help if your exam doesn't go as you hope. It's also worth it because it is open book and you teacher can slide you a few hints - it doesn't look good for them if their students are only getting 8/20. I would say that average marks for the assignment is around 12-14, but most people get 12 or above. Getting 18-20 marks is pretty common because of it being open book.
    Your teacher will of course be able to at least tell you how many marks they think your assignment will get.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.