Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ACA - Kaplan's new evening and weekend course structure for 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been studying with Kaplan on their evening and weekend course for the professional level ACA exams since March last year, and they have changed the course structure for 2016 - more e-learning lectures and less classroom time.

I've heard that one of the big 4 have been trialling this alternative style and has produced impressive results which is why they've decided to roll it out to the evening and weekend course.

Anyone here who has experience of this structure? What do you think of it compared to the usual classroom sessions?

ReputationRep:
    HI, I am enrolling on the part-time evening and weekend classes at KAPLAN. I would be grateful if you give me some insight on how your finding the course.

How are you find it so far on the ACA are you taking two papers at a time?, Is the teaching good and would you recommend it?

Are you working full time?

Have you taken any exams yet?

Thank you, I look forward to hearing back from you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eubredi)
    HI, I am enrolling on the part-time evening and weekend classes at KAPLAN. I would be grateful if you give me some insight on how your finding the course.

How are you find it so far on the ACA are you taking two papers at a time?, Is the teaching good and would you recommend it?

Are you working full time?

Have you taken any exams yet?

Thank you, I look forward to hearing back from you.
    Slightly off topic from my original post but I can give you some thoughts (take it with a pinch of salt as the teaching format from Kaplan has changed)

I started the professional study in March 2015, and it is a huge step up from the foundation subjects. Taking two papers at a time I feel is the correct amount, 1 paper and you can't progress fast enough or take nice breaks in between terms, and 3 papers and I would have lost my head.

Accounting and Assurance were the first two professional papers I took, it starts quite hard and fast, and you have to make sure that you start the QB from at least the start of April, otherwise you will be playing a game of catch up, Assurance is only 4 classes from what I remember, so it is very easy to forget about it, but you shouldn't underestimate this subject - quite a few people fail because of this.

FAR - I found the teaching to be fair, it depends who the teacher is and how you learn, they don't cover much in the written prose even though it is 40% of the exam, so ensure that you do this as part of homework to learn and get used to the technique. Make a crib sheet of all the common answers (written parts) and go through the mock papers early on to get familiar with them. Company part is the best bit to get the marks on, as there are prescriptive workings you can just follow each time and get follow through marks. Timing is key for FAR, so you have to make sure you aren't a perfectionist and learn that after your allocated time is up...you move on! Otherwise you will not pass this exam, it is the longest exam but extremely time pressured.

AA - Barely was taught in class, and nearly fell asleep from the teacher essentially reading stuff from the screen, however the revision classes were life saving. Make a crib sheet of all the answers, you'll soon see that they are pretty much the same - make sure highlight your open book and have it all tabbed up as this will save you. Again go through the mock papers and look at the more obscure answers, see if you can find it in the open book.

Yes I am working full time and have completed 4 professional papers, if you are dedicated and willing to put the time into it, you will be fine. I made a timetable and stuck to it, generally which was 2 hours after work in a meeting room 4 days a week, and then saturday and sunday. Expect the month before the exam to be living and breathing the material. Start the QB as soon as you can, they say to you don't do some questions as they cover them in the revision sessions, I would ignore this advice as I found it was easier to understand the brief after I have already done the question, rather than trying to comprehend all the explanations in the small 15 minute briefing.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.