Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being bullied in halls Watch

Announcements

I'm being bullied in halls by one flatmate. It has made me sit in my room since I moved in. I feel like a reject. I'm moving halls now and I'm really nervous.
    I know my new flat has their groups and it's going to be hard to join these groups since they've known each other for more than 3 months.
    I am not sure if I'll make friends, but I can't stay where I currently live.
    Does anyone have an idea of how to make friends outside of halls?
    Should I get a job? How do I make friends at my workplace?

Join a couple of societies/clubs at your uni and just find hobbies and interests to keep you occupied outside of halls. Your student union will have loads of societies you could join and most societies will host events (pub meet ups, live concerts etc) regularly that you can go to and meet new people. There's usually always a society or club for anyone with any interest. My brother was in the video game society at his uni, loads of people just meeting up once a week in the games department where they had access to huge 50 inch screens and projectors to play xbox and ps4, wii multiplayer games. He met loads of friends there.
    Just find social events you're genuinely interested in. music, board games, reading/writing, art etc.

try to have an active social life outside of halls. You should only be in halls for 10-20% of your time tbh. it really shouldnt matter if you're friends with your flatmates or not, because most of you will be on different courses and have different social lives. I know plenty of people who hardly talk to or even see their flatmates and its no big deal because everyone's living their own lives.

ReputationRep:
    You could get a job if you wanted to, but only if you wanted to or needed the money, rather than thinking of it as a tool for making friends. That side of being in work is merely a great bonus if it does happen, like being friends with your flatmates. At the end of the day, those are two situations where people have been put together randomly, so not everyone is going to connect. Whereas joining clubs for activities/hobbies you're interested in (like the poster above mentioned), you already know you have something in common with everybody else there. Plus you'll be partaking/talking about that something the whole time you're with those people... then talking about other things and getting to know those people will come naturally after that, as you've already spent enough time with them for it to feel natural.

The clubs are by far the best way to go about making friends for someone at university. Or if people on your course organise a big social event, maybe get yourself along to those as well.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.