TSRforum
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
A committee of 3 is to be selected from 4 women and 5 men. Atleast 1 man and 1 women must be on the committee. One of the men and one of the women marry each other. Rules also state married couples may not both serve on the committee. How many ways can the committee be chosen?
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TSRforum)
A committee of 3 is to be selected from 4 women and 5 men. Atleast 1 man and 1 women must be on the committee. One of the men and one of the women marry each other. Rules also state married couples may not both serve on the committee. How many ways can the committee be chosen?
Good problem ... my homework for tomorrow
TSRforum
Rep:
?
(Original post by TeeEm)
Good problem ... my homework for tomorrow
Good night
TeeEm
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Good night
you too
Gregorius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Break this down into parts:

(i) How many ways are there of choosing a committee of 3 from 5 + 4 people?
(ii) How many of the combinations that you found in part (i) consist entirely of men or entirely of women? Subtract these off.
(iii) How many of the combinations that you found in (i) include a married couple? Is it OK to subtract these off? Why?
TeeEm
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got 63 committees
(Hope it is right)
username1732491
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got 63 committees as well.
TSRforum
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gregorius)
Break this down into parts:

(i) How many ways are there of choosing a committee of 3 from 5 + 4 people?
(ii) How many of the combinations that you found in part (i) consist entirely of men or entirely of women? Subtract these off.
(iii) How many of the combinations that you found in (i) include a married couple? Is it OK to subtract these off? Why?
Still confused...
All I did was (4C1 x 5C2) + (4C2 x 5C1) = 70 then subtracted 4C1 and 5C1 which gives me 60. Though how am I suppose to know which combos include a married couple? And if I subtract these off I would get an answer less than 63.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (200)
19.23%
Labour (443)
42.6%
Liberal Democrats (201)
19.33%
Green Party (54)
5.19%
Brexit Party (27)
2.6%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (15)
1.44%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.96%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.19%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (3)