The Student Room Group

Do I need a biology GCSE for psychology?

This probably seems like a stupid question. When I picked my GCSEs I was certain I would study some form of English Literature or History at university. Over the past year and a bit I've done a complete 180 and definitely want to study maths or chemistry and go into research. Another course I've been considering is psychology/behavioural sciences.
We were quite limited in regards to GCSE choices at the time, and I opted to do Chemistry, Physics, History, and Latin along with the compulsory ones, instead of doing three sciences and History OR Latin. I didn't think it would be a problem as I don't want to be a doctor. I'm just wary of keeping my options open so I wanted to know how important is it to have a biology GCSE when applying to a psychological and behavioural sciences course?
Would it be worth my time doing a biology GCSE during my AS year? I want to do Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, and French for A level and have been considering doing an AS in physics but would it be more worthwhile to do a biology GCSE than an extra AS?
so you are referring to biology GCSE as in a triple science qualification, or a combined double science award?
Either way, as long as you have studied science (above btec/ foundation level) that's fine (for now).
It's choosing the right a levels that really matters. And the answer really depends on what unis you are looking at to be honest.
Traditional universities will probably require two sciences taken at a level, above a certain grade for progression onto degree level study.
your best option would be to look at the entry requirement section on some psychology courses:smile:
Ps I thought they were scrapping the AS/A2 system :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by triphazards
so you are referring to biology GCSE as in a triple science qualification, or a combined double science award?
Either way, as long as you have studied science (above btec/ foundation level) that's fine (for now).
It's choosing the right a levels that really matters. And the answer really depends on what unis you are looking at to be honest.
Traditional universities will probably require two sciences taken at a level, above a certain grade for progression onto degree level study.
your best option would be to look at the entry requirement section on some psychology courses:smile:
Ps I thought they were scrapping the AS/A2 system :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in Northern Ireland and my school doesn't offer double award science (just single award or separate sciences) so science-wise I chose to do both Chemistry and Physics for GCSE.
Thought that would be the case as most uni courses seem not to mind which GCSEs you have and only care about which A-levels/grades. Regarding the psychology course I'm thinking about (Cambridge psychological and behavioural sciences), there are no specific subjects required at A-level - just certain ones which are useful (eg Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths, a Social Science) so hopefully as I'll be doing Maths, F Maths, Chem A-levels that should be sufficient preparation.
Also, by what I've seen of the syllabus, biology GCSE doesn't seem to cover a huge amount of neurobiology or psychology stuff so I won't have missed out on loads of material.
Maybe a Physics AS would be a better use of time than trying to catch up on the bio gcse then?
And I haven't heard about that? lol over here the AS/A-level system is still happening :smile:
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply :smile:
Original post by daydremus
This probably seems like a stupid question. When I picked my GCSEs I was certain I would study some form of English Literature or History at university. Over the past year and a bit I've done a complete 180 and definitely want to study maths or chemistry and go into research. Another course I've been considering is psychology/behavioural sciences.
We were quite limited in regards to GCSE choices at the time, and I opted to do Chemistry, Physics, History, and Latin along with the compulsory ones, instead of doing three sciences and History OR Latin. I didn't think it would be a problem as I don't want to be a doctor. I'm just wary of keeping my options open so I wanted to know how important is it to have a biology GCSE when applying to a psychological and behavioural sciences course?
Would it be worth my time doing a biology GCSE during my AS year? I want to do Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, and French for A level and have been considering doing an AS in physics but would it be more worthwhile to do a biology GCSE than an extra AS?

For most Psychology courses at universities they look for at least one or preferably two subjects including: Psychology, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics.

You've decided to study Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry, so you should just fine :smile: Either Biology or Physics as an AS would be alright, just make sure you're able to handle the workload because sciences at A level can get pretty tricky, but it's do-able!

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lovinlife2
For most Psychology courses at universities they look for at least one or preferably two subjects including: Psychology, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics.

You've decided to study Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry, so you should just fine :smile: Either Biology or Physics as an AS would be alright, just make sure you're able to handle the workload because sciences at A level can get pretty tricky, but it's do-able!

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest