Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing a documentary project for my college course and I thought I'd create something that informs audiences of what transgender representation means in the media. However I'm not exactly sure where I what to direct this study to. At first I was concentrating on something that would discuss cis actors playing trans roles but I thought that it could be a little too opinionated and I wouldn't know where to look for both sides of the topic.

Basically I want to discover the opinions of my interviewees and what they feel is important for the future of transgender representation in films, TV etc. I know it's a little general at the moment but thats also where I'm asking for help.

There are so many factors I know I need to get consider, and for a 5 - 8 minute film, I really want to get it right. I'm not aiming for an opinionated conclusion out of it, but more rather a showcase of opinions for an audience, and for myself to think about.

If there's any advice you could give to me, any criticisms or you'd like to be in the actual film in the form of a skype interview or any other form of contribution, then please message me through the tumblr messenger or send an ask to wither my film blog on tumblr filmsandphotosbysillykiid or my main blog sillykiid.

As an aspiring filmmaker i want to gain a better understanding of this topic for when I'm able to create bigger work and, as a transgender person, I want the chance to positively represent us in my films. I hope any of you can help and thank-you for reading such a long post.

(Transgender contributions preferred. Non-Binarys and people outside of the binary that means you too!)
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillykiid)
    I'm currently doing a documentary project for my college course and I thought I'd create something that informs audiences of what transgender representation means in the media. However I'm not exactly sure where I what to direct this study to. At first I was concentrating on something that would discuss cis actors playing trans roles but I thought that it could be a little too opinionated and I wouldn't know where to look for both sides of the topic.

Basically I want to discover the opinions of my interviewees and what they feel is important for the future of transgender representation in films, TV etc. I know it's a little general at the moment but thats also where I'm asking for help.

There are so many factors I know I need to get consider, and for a 5 - 8 minute film, I really want to get it right. I'm not aiming for an opinionated conclusion out of it, but more rather a showcase of opinions for an audience, and for myself to think about.

If there's any advice you could give to me, any criticisms or you'd like to be in the actual film in the form of a skype interview or any other form of contribution, then please message me through the tumblr messenger or send an ask to wither my film blog on tumblr filmsandphotosbysillykiid or my main blog sillykiid.

As an aspiring filmmaker i want to gain a better understanding of this topic for when I'm able to create bigger work and, as a transgender person, I want the chance to positively represent us in my films. I hope any of you can help and thank-you for reading such a long post.

(Transgender contributions preferred. Non-Binarys and people outside of the binary that means you too!)
    This is probably preaching to the choir but just in case - zinnia jones Gender Analysis videos/transcripts would be a useful piece of background research. They're all referenced with the various studies/research that backs up a specific situation and explains the impact eg http://genderanalysis.net/2015/11/ci...s-13/#more-235

The details about how lack of representation can damage and harm and how certain types of representation can lead to increased bigotry and disgust from cis people might add some useful context to your interviews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    This is probably preaching to the choir but just in case - zinnia jones Gender Analysis videos/transcripts would be a useful piece of background research. They're all referenced with the various studies/research that backs up a specific situation and explains the impact eg http://genderanalysis.net/2015/11/ci...s-13/#more-235

The details about how lack of representation can damage and harm and how certain types of representation can lead to increased bigotry and disgust from cis people might add some useful context to your interviews
    Wow thank-you very much! This is really helpful! Kinda embarrassed I hadn't found this sooner but thank-you for your help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.