Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your favourite film? Mine is the social network. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What is your favourite film!?

I love the social network, it motivates me so much to study and achieve my goals. What are your thoughts on TSN?

ReputationRep:
    I've not seen it it though my brother always tells me about it. My favourite movies are the Harry Potters and Cinderella.

ReputationRep:
    Wolf of Wall Street is my all time favourite It motivates me to study hard and make a lot of money when I grow up.

ReputationRep:
    Garden State- Zac Braff's film

Obvs all Harry Potters! Esp goblet of fire and half blood prince.

Worst film:

Magic Mike- the only film that i have ever walked out of a cinema while watching. Men getting their tops off is not a story line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adityac3688)
    Wolf of Wall Street is my all time favourite It motivates me to study hard and make a lot of money when I grow up.
    So you can be a clueless finance person/broker/trader with no individuality 😅

ReputationRep:
    Tbf that is probably on par with social network. Amazing film!

ReputationRep:
    You cant deny that it motivates you to make money

(Original post by EtherealNymph22)
    So you can be a clueless banker with no individuality 😅

ReputationRep:
    So you can be a clueless banker with no individuality 😅
    Haha not really clueless, if you look at the background you can really pick out how they laundered money and drastically increased their commissions through penny stocks. I did learn about how competitive the job market for finance is, and I don't think the movie is about banking? It mainly pertains to aspects of trading, sales and in essence, a job of a broker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliehancock50)
    Soul is more important than money. I'd rather be able to think for myself and earn a modest amount of money rather than being a drone in a nice suit with a Rolex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliehancock50)
    Yep! ^_^ However it only shows the good side of the business world in wall street, it makes it seem pretty easy to get into big firms like Rothschild. Lucrative Investment banks have an acceptance rate of less than 5% so it makes it all seem very easy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah TSN is pretty awesome.

Limitless, In Time, City of God and Sunshine are my other favourites.

ReputationRep:
    Top Gun

F14s are classic beauties

ReputationRep:
    Soul is more important than money. I'd rather be able to think for myself and earn a modest amount of money rather than being a drone in a nice suit with a Rolex.
    If you come from a poor country like mine, you'll understand just exactly how important money is and thats essentially what gives Indians the drive to excel in their academics really. Not for the education, its for the marks sadly. (developing countries like India & China)

ReputationRep:
    Haha not really clueless, if you look at the background you can really pick out how they laundered money and drastically increased their commissions through penny stocks. I did learn about how competitive the job market for finance is, and I don't think the movie is about banking? It mainly pertains to aspects of trading, sales and in essence, a job of a broker.
    Lol you should READ the Big Short by Michael Lewis - the film is good but the book is better. These people have no clue what they're doing they just do whatever to make some money. It's a competitive job market but only so pseudo-intelligent people (ie people with good 'grades' and contacts) can get in and make it seem like it's soooo complicated.

The 08 crash was actually a result of stupidity on Wall Street. Not necessarily corruption. Literal stupidity and lack of understanding how things don't happen in isolation and there are consequences to actions that in the short term can be financially lucrative.

That career path doesn't teach you to think. You think it's competitive only because they make it competitive so you think you've achieved life by getting in. But on the inside you are a commodity, and you are there to do what you're supposed to and look the part.

Good luck with your career but don't think that just because something is hard to get into its intellectually challenging or even requires a lot of intelligence to do the actual job.

ReputationRep:
    Right now? Super 8
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Good Will Hunting
    The man from Earth

ReputationRep:
    If you come from a poor country like mine, you'll understand just exactly how important money is and thats essentially what gives Indians the drive to excel in their academics really. Not for the education, its for the marks sadly. (developing countries like India & China)
    I was brought up in a working class family so I know how important money is. But there is a difference between the amount of money to give you a comfortable and happy life and the obscene amount of money that finance professionals make from exploiting people. It's not just a case of millionaire vs nothing. Why do people see everything as so black and white?!!!

I'd rather not be a sucker to capitalism and in the process widen inequality both within countries and in the world as a whole. There are a lot of poor people who don't have the opportunity to change that with all the drive in the world.

This is the biggest mistake of capitalism and people who chase the dollar- they believe that only people with the 'drive to excel in academics' can achieve it as if everyone else is lazy and stupid.

ReputationRep:
    TSN is a solid film, I particularly like Andrew Garfield in it. I agree it's motivating, but perhaps a bit unrealistic? I'm not sure.. I would assume the making of Facebook wasn't at all that glamorous. But it's fine if the movie is an exaggeration of real life! I like it.

-I can say with confidence my favourite love film is Silver Linings Playbook ahah.
    -A good comedy is Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (robert downey jr)
    -My favourite film then is generic - Inception (which apparently movie snobs give people sht for liking inception?! fck those people i love it.)

ReputationRep:
    Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind

ReputationRep:
    So many...

Trainspotting
    Slumdog Millionaire
    The Departed
    Blood Diamond
    Apocalypto
    Catch Me If You Can
    Gone Girl

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.