Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm so fed up Watch

Announcements

Hello. I'm just going to have a bit of a rant...

Basically, I've been depressed for years. I've been depressed for so long I don't even know when it started, though I think moving from a big city to a small racist town when I was six years old had a lot to do with it. I've never been diagnosed because when I was younger I didn't know what depression was, I didn't think I was depressed, I thought I just had a rubbish life and I wasn't expecting to live into adulthood anyway. I only really realised I had a serious problem when I came to uni and had a kind of breakdown featuring intense anxiety alongside my depression.

I'm really trying my hardest to overcome this. I've been seeing counsellors and wellbeing services at uni since first year but I never know what to say to them and how it's supposed to be helping me. I've been to the GP twice about depression, once about anxiety and I was only offered antidepressants which I didn't want to take because I didn't think it was that bad at the time, and tbh the side-effects/withdrawal symptoms scare me a lot. I've made some changes to my life, including staying at uni to get out of a depressing household/hometown, begun exercising regularly and tried to remove toxic people from my life while investing more time in the good friends I have. I'm learning about and trying mindfulness exercises and cbt techniques from self help books. I do a lot of social things but I also have a lot of hobbies I'm happy to do by myself.

I think that around spring/summer last year I felt truly happy with my life for the first time. But now I'm back feeling depressed again. I feel lonely, scared about everything, hopeless, etc. My grades for my entire course have literally been getting worse each year and I don't understand why. I'm a third year and I'm terrified about what happens when I graduate because uni's the only time I tasted happiness and I feel like it'll be gone forever after that. I'm not doing the right course to do what I want to do so I'm going to have to learn more skills in my own time afterwards. I have ambitions of travelling or living abroad for a while but I've never been abroad and I'm too scared to do it by myself. Every day I wake up and I just don't see the point in getting out of bed because I feel so crap. I just don't know what else I can do about it.

Thank you if you read through it all! I'd really appreciate any advice, words of comfort, success stories, anything..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.