Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What can we call you?
    Ana

What are you currently studying/what do you plan on studying before you start Uni?
    Architecture

What do you plan on studying at Uni?
    Architecture

Which Uni's are you looking at applying to?
    Top 5 in the UK in Architecture (call me crazy)

If you want to say, how old are you?
    37!!!!

Anything else you want to say about your plans or dreams?
    I am looking forward to the interviews!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saresfield)
    What can we call you?
    Sarah

What are you currently studying/what do you plan on studying before you start Uni?
    I'll be starting an Access to Medicine course at Stafford College in September.

Medicine

Leicester, Keele, Cardiff and Bristol

33 next month, so 34 if I manage to get accepted for 2017 entry.

I've wanted to become a doctor for quite a while, but giving up a pretty well paid (unrelated) career with mortgage and family responsibilities has been a daunting decision. I'm still not certain we will manage!
    Ultimately, I'll never forgive myself if I don't do it, and I'm not getting any younger!
    Fingers crossed!

Same here! 37 yo, two children and married
    good luck darling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _jawed_)
    I did As levels last year, didnt complete the full a level. Will i be asked by unis why im doing an access course eventhough im 18?
    I think that would depend on the uni you are applying to ...however i know someone who was in the same situation and the university preferred him to complete the A levels rather than to do an access course. I think at the age of 18 you might be putting yourself at a slight disadvantage in doing an access course, as it is more geared towards mature students who would otherwise find it difficult to be in a class with younger students. However, it may help if you had extenuating circumstances that prevented you from currently completing your A levels.And it would have to be a good one to be honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NanEco)
    I think that would depend on the uni you are applying to ...however i know someone who was in the same situation and the university preferred him to complete the A levels rather than to do an access course. I think at the age of 18 you might be putting yourself at a slight disadvantage in doing an access course, as it is more geared towards mature students who would otherwise find it difficult to be in a class with younger students. However, it may help if you had extenuating circumstances that prevented you from currently completing your A levels.And it would have to be a good one to be honest
    I did As levels got 3C's and then i dropped out and retook my As because i changed subjects, i hated what i doing, then i came out with 3 Us, now im 1 month into a business and law access course looking to apply to business management at uni. If i was to carry on with a levels it would have been an extra 2 years

ReputationRep:
    I did As levels got 3C's and then i dropped out and retook my As because i changed subjects, i hated what i doing, then i came out with 3 Us, now im 1 month into a business and law access course looking to apply to business management at uni. If i was to carry on with a levels it would have been an extra 2 years
    I would recommend contacting the universities you are interested in applying to before you send off your application to see what they say. The extra two years of doing A levels wouldnt really count as extenuating circumstances if i am being honest with you. And some universities might assume that you opted for the access course as an easier option (as debatable as that may be). Most universities consider A -levels to be the best preparation for their courses so ideally they would prefer that. But please contact the universities you are interested in first to see what they say.

Let me know how it goes

ReputationRep:
    Determine the subject(s) you are interested in studying. Take a look at the University Handbook for details of all subjects offered and click through to see detailed information about specific subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend contacting the universities you are interested in applying to before you send off your application to see what they say. The extra two years of doing A levels wouldnt really count as extenuating circumstances if i am being honest with you. And some universities might assume that you opted for the access course as an easier option (as debatable as that may be). Most universities consider A -levels to be the best preparation for their courses so ideally they would prefer that. But please contact the universities you are interested in first to see what they say.

Let me know how it goes
    I contacted 3 Universitys today, they said that my age isnt a problem, if thats the path ive chosen then so be it, they said as long as i meet the entry requirements i will have the same opportunity as other access students.

ReputationRep:
    I contacted 3 Universitys today, they said that my age isnt a problem, if thats the path ive chosen then so be it, they said as long as i meet the entry requirements i will have the same opportunity as other access students.
    thats good to hear. well then you have nothing to worry about. perhaps it was only specifuc univeristies like the ones i am applying to who had issues with that. good luck !

ReputationRep:
    thats good to hear. well then you have nothing to worry about. perhaps it was only specifuc univeristies like the ones i am applying to who had issues with that. good luck !
    Which ones did you to apply to ? & Yeah! Thank you good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    One of my university applications requires some marked work, I have a piece of marked work from a few years ago lying around, and I have some unmarked coursework from my current Access course. Not quite sure how to get round this one, I'll have to drop them an email.

ReputationRep:
    What can we call you? Pix
    What do you plan on studying before you start Uni?Fashion Design / Textiles
    What do you plan on studying at Uni? Undecided between FdA Fashion Design that's close to home or BA Hons Fashion Design which is an hour away
    Which Uni's are you looking at applying to? Plymouth college of art / South Devon College
    If you want to say, how old are you? 22, I'll be 23 when I (hopefully) start
    Anything else you want to say about your plans or dreams? I have anxiety and have so far been told that Fashion Design is redundant, the chances of a career afterwards is slim and that it's not worth the stress of debt/deadlines, and that I'd be better off going back to studying for vet nursing. Thing is, the more I think about it, the more I want it. I'm worried that even if I get a place on the course, I'll end up regretting it though.

ReputationRep:
    Which ones did you to apply to ? & Yeah! Thank you good luck to you too!
    i applied to Cambridge, LSe, warwick and UCL
    and thanks lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnripenedTomato)
    One of my university applications requires some marked work, I have a piece of marked work from a few years ago lying around, and I have some unmarked coursework from my current Access course. Not quite sure how to get round this one, I'll have to drop them an email.
    yeah same here. Cambridge have asked for two pieces of marked work. ill be sending from my foundation course. surely if youre doing access this shouldnt be an issue should it ? they dont assign essays ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PixChapman)
    What can we call you? Pix
    What do you plan on studying before you start Uni?Fashion Design / Textiles
    What do you plan on studying at Uni? Undecided between FdA Fashion Design that's close to home or BA Hons Fashion Design which is an hour away
    Which Uni's are you looking at applying to? Plymouth college of art / South Devon College
    If you want to say, how old are you? 22, I'll be 23 when I (hopefully) start
    Anything else you want to say about your plans or dreams? I have anxiety and have so far been told that Fashion Design is redundant, the chances of a career afterwards is slim and that it's not worth the stress of debt/deadlines, and that I'd be better off going back to studying for vet nursing. Thing is, the more I think about it, the more I want it. I'm worried that even if I get a place on the course, I'll end up regretting it though.
    hey . well only you can decide which one is the best option for you. i would say that it is risky to drop th vet nursing and perhaps you wouldnt have started i if you didnt want to. have you conisdered options for fashion design which wouldn't involve you hqving to give up vet nursing like say...part time fashion design courses ? there are loads of those.

ReputationRep:
    yeah same here. Cambridge have asked for two pieces of marked work. ill be sending from my foundation course. surely if youre doing access this shouldnt be an issue should it ? they dont assign essays ??
    I've got an academic writing essay which has only just been submitted and I don't think I'll be getting it back marked anytime soon.
    I'll email Cambridge and find out whether it's really needed considering my situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnripenedTomato)
    I've got an academic writing essay which has only just been submitted and I don't think I'll be getting it back marked anytime soon.
    I'll email Cambridge and find out whether it's really needed considering my situation.
    btw which college are you applying to? i askes because Cambridge usually only asks for written work when you have been invited to an interview. or are.you just getting it ready for when the time comes ? i reckon the place your doong your access will be able to make arrangements for early marking if you tell them in advance

ReputationRep:
    btw which college are you applying to? i askes because Cambridge usually only asks for written work when you have been invited to an interview. or are.you just getting it ready for when the time comes ? i reckon the place your doong your access will be able to make arrangements for early marking if you tell them in advance
    Lucy Cavendish. They ask for two written pieces of work before shortlisting for interviews.
    I'm going to contact them and see what I can do.

ReputationRep:
    What can we call you? Emma
    What are you currently studying/what do you plan on studying before you start Uni? I am currently doing an apprenticeship in Creative and Digital media
    What do you plan on studying at Uni? Journalism
    Which Uni's are you looking at applying to? Nottingham Trent, Westminster, Kingston, Southampton Solent and Gloucestershire
    If you want to say, how old are you? 19, however my birthday is in December, so I will turn 21 not long after I start university (if I get in!)
    Anything else you want to say about your plans or dreams? - Studying at University has always been a dream of mine since I was a little girl, it's cliche I know, I mean I didn't even really understand what University was when I started wishing I could go! However, over the years my desire to attend University didn't decline, it instead grew. I would love to be able to go to University and have a good time.

ReputationRep:
    What can we call you?
    Hanne!
    I'm currently completing my vitnemål here in Norway, which I suppose translates to sitting my A2s? I think. It's what I need to do to complete my certificate at least, so that I can go on to higher education. I'm missing 3 subjects, and wanting to improve on one.
    International Tourism Management
    I've applied to Surrey, Greenwich, Westminster, UEL and Middlesex. My fiancee is from London, so I'm wanting to stay with her. It's why I'm going to study in London rather then in Norway.
    27 right now, going to be 28
    I worked for nearly 4 years at Walt Disney World in Florida, USA, and it's there where my "passion" for the tourism industry was awoken. I am hoping that this will be taken into account on my application as I do believe it's relevant to the course? But anyway, I've lived and worked in the passion and beliefs of the Walt Disney Company, and they've bored themselves deep into my soul, and I want to be able to carry them onto other companies and places. Alternately just be able to go back to Disney in some sort of managerial role!

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.