Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What are you currently studying: Ive Completed an Access course to Medicine and Biosciences at Lambeth College (south London)

What subject(s) are you applying for:
    Would've Loved to do Medicine, its been my endeavour for the past years (i.e. building up the experiences and academics for it). Chose the safer option and went for Medical Sciences or similar at Uni's

Which universities are you applying to:
    Applied to Exeter Edinburgh Bristol and UCL
    UC offers from all except UCL.
    Gutted UCL said no Because they required a B at maths for Applied Med Sciences (I got a C several years ago), otherwise Id met all the other pre requisites.

Any other info you feel like sharing:

26yo, previously did Biomed at QM. Youth had the better of me and I'd royally F**kd it up. Kinda gutted nowhere in London could do the course I wanted and I'll be moving away for the first time. a lot of the expenses will come from me. (wouldn't do Biomed again, PTSD sort of....) spent a few years bogged down with remorse and regret, didn't have priorities straight then but hoping this would be my redemption or absolution. Also super gutted because I'd missed the pre requisites for Med at quite a few Uni's (UCL wanted 28 credits and I'd achieved 27). But head held high I look forward.

Anyone else going for anything similar??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJ9393)
    I'm going to Bath University to study Biomedical Sciences

Is anyone else going to Bath University?
    I'm off to Bath this year to study mechanical engineering

ReputationRep:
    I would like to study Applied Learning Disability Nursing and Generic Social Work, at Hallam University. I have previously been for an open day, but unfortunately I couldn't complete the access course at the time. I'm just waiting to start Level 3 before I begin applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mech17k)
    Awesome

Are you staying in halls?

ReputationRep:
    What can we call you?
    Alison, Ali, or Al are all fine by me 😊

What are you currently studying/what do you plan on studying before you starting Uni?
    I have successfully completed 'Gateway to HEocial Studies' at the University of Warwick (got results in Jun-17). It is a level 3 Access course (A' Levels are Level 3).

What do you plan on studying at Uni?
    I have been offered and I have accepted a place to study BA (Hons) Social Studies part-time at the University of Warwick.

Which Uni's are you looks at applying to?
    I only applied to the University of Warwick, it is local to where I live and is a lovely University.

If you want to say, how old are you?
    Well put it this way my daughter is in her early 20's 😬

Anything else you want to say about your plans or dreams?
    Personal circumstances meant I missed out on the opportunity to study for a degree many years ago. Now that my daughter has completed hers and my son has just started his, I hope to realise my own dream of going to University albeit as a part-time mature student.

ReputationRep:
    Nice. I might be applying there. How old r u ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milliejerry)
    What can we call you?
    Alison, Ali, or Al are all fine by me 😊

What are you currently studying/what do you plan on studying before you starting Uni?
    I have successfully completed 'Gateway to HEocial Studies' at the University of Warwick (got results in Jun-17). It is a level 3 Access course (A' Levels are Level 3).

What do you plan on studying at Uni?
    I have been offered and I have accepted a place to study BA (Hons) Social Studies part-time at the University of Warwick.

Which Uni's are you looks at applying to?
    I only applied to the University of Warwick, it is local to where I live and is a lovely University.

Well put it this way my daughter is in her early 20's 😬

Personal circumstances meant I missed out on the opportunity to study for a degree many years ago. Now that my daughter has completed hers and my son has just started his, I hope to realise my own dream of going to University albeit as a part-time mature student.
    Huge congrats Ali!
    Your situation sounds very similar to mine - going to a local uni (in Leicester for me) elder child graduated and younger at uni although mine are both boys and the one at uni is going into his final year - and it just seems too good an opportunity to miss. I'm doing 3 years full time as 6 was just too much of a time commitment, but do you ( like me) find it hilarious how old we'll be before our Student Loan is written off? I'll be 87 hahaha

Hope you have the very best of time!
    Good luck
    Cazz x

ReputationRep:
    Guys! Guys! I'm going to Bath too! Yippee. PM me, would love to make some buddies before we get there

ReputationRep:
    What can we call you?
    Ella

What are you currently studying/what do you plan on studying before you start Uni?

I'm hoping to study Social Work and Applied Social Studies at the University of Bath. I have exceeded the offer I was given, but am still waiting because the exam board that I did my Access Course with have not sent my results to the Uni. I am waiting for the college to let me know when to pick up my certificates, but they seem quite unorganised and I keep getting different answers as to when it will be ready.

22! 18 year old me would have never, ever thought that I would be going to University - And such a prestigious one at that. I am absolutely thrilled. I am also really pleased that I did not do a degree like English Literature, English Language or History etc when I was younger because I have a lot of friends graduating from Russell Group Uni's in those subjects who are struggling to get jobs. Several of them have gone back into retail work.

I don't know exactly where I am going to be in the future. I don't have a definitive pathway set out - But I am very pleased that I will be starting a vocational degree at a well-respected University. In the Access Course I worked incredibly hard, and I plan to do exactly the same at University. I am proud of myself for getting this far. There was a time when I never, ever thought that I would go to a decent University or have a career.

ReputationRep:
    Glad to see that a few of the mature student are actually what I would class as muture lol Was starting to think that i would be so out of place at Uni! Fossil like lol. My 2nd oldest son is starting the same Uni as me, thou he has third year entry! .. and he is loving all the rubbing it in that I am only a "wee" first year, ha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyScotgirl)
    Glad to see that a few of the mature student are actually what I would class as muture lol Was starting to think that i would be so out of place at Uni! Fossil like lol. My 2nd oldest son is starting the same Uni as me, thou he has third year entry! .. and he is loving all the rubbing it in that I am only a "wee" first year, ha!
    Incredible! Hats off to you!

Out of curiosity how was your son accepted onto third year? Must be saving a tonne of money by not having to complete the previous two years!

ReputationRep:
    I'm so envious of you mature students being accepted onto your chosen universities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    Incredible! Hats off to you!

Out of curiosity how was your son accepted onto third year? Must be saving a tonne of money by not having to complete the previous two years!

He completed his HNC last year and his HND this year to get direct third year entry.

ReputationRep:
    What can we call you?
    Will

What are you currently studying/what do you plan on studying before you start Uni?
    MSc Criminal Investigation at Teesside Uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haresleap)
    Huge congrats Ali!
    Your situation sounds very similar to mine - going to a local uni (in Leicester for me) elder child graduated and younger at uni although mine are both boys and the one at uni is going into his final year - and it just seems too good an opportunity to miss. I'm doing 3 years full time as 6 was just too much of a time commitment, but do you ( like me) find it hilarious how old we'll be before our Student Loan is written off? I'll be 87 hahaha

Hope you have the very best of time!
    Good luck
    Cazz x
    Hi Cazz,

I know it's hilarious isn't it - I didn't even think I would get Student Finance! I can't quite believe I will be going to Uni at my age. I was worried about how a really mature student would be accepted but I need not have worried at all. It's a great place to be - no wonder the 18-22 year olds love it - what's not to like!!

I have loved doing the Gateway course at Warwick from Nov-16 to May-17 (thankfully available on a Tuesday evenings) as it has allowed me to have a taster of Uni life.

Since starting I have become a Student Ambassador, a Student Blogger, and after being a representative for Gateway at the Staff, Student Liaison Committee I was asked to become Secretary. It's all such good fun and a great way to integrate into the Uni. I would definitely recommend it. I hope as an undergrad I can continue with them all.

I would have loved to have done the degree full-time too but as I am going through separation I need to continue to work full-time. It will keep me busy no doubt 😊.

What course are you going to do? And which Uni?

I was a bit worried about joining The Student Room as I wasn't sure if mature students would be on here - but hopefully there are others too.....

So glad you replied - at least I know there is another Mature student like me 😬👍

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milliejerry)
    Hi Cazz,

I know it's hilarious isn't it - I didn't even think I would get Student Finance! I can't quite believe I will be going to Uni at my age. I was worried about how a really mature student would be accepted but I need not have worried at all. It's a great place to be - no wonder the 18-22 year olds love it - what's not to like!!

I have loved doing the Gateway course at Warwick from Nov-16 to May-17 (thankfully available on a Tuesday evenings) as it has allowed me to have a taster of Uni life.

Since starting I have become a Student Ambassador, a Student Blogger, and after being a representative for Gateway at the Staff, Student Liaison Committee I was asked to become Secretary. It's all such good fun and a great way to integrate into the Uni. I would definitely recommend it. I hope as an undergrad I can continue with them all.

I would have loved to have done the degree full-time too but as I am going through separation I need to continue to work full-time. It will keep me busy no doubt 😊.

What course are you going to do? And which Uni?

I was a bit worried about joining The Student Room as I wasn't sure if mature students would be on here - but hopefully there are others too.....

So glad you replied - at least I know there is another Mature student like me 😬👍
    Morning,

Sorry to hear about your separation - but it sounds as if you have a wonderful new life ahead.

I'm going to De Montfort in Leicester as it's the only local uni which does pure creative writing. I live in a village near Stamford so I can do a door to door train in around an hour and 15 mins, which is a bit quicker than driving and trying to park.

As I don't have to actually 'do' anything with my degree I don't want, or need, to do English, journalism or drama with it. I just want to write stories - always have done - and I'd like to do it properly. But you never know, I might just be the next Caro Fraser, Judy Astley or JoJo Moyes lol.

Very interested in what you said about getting involved. I've made contact with the Student Union and it seems that there are quite a few mature students over 40 (mere babes in arms hahaha) so I'm going to go to some of the Freshers events to see what's what.

I've found this thread on the Student room really friendly and helpful - very supportive and people are genuinely interested. If you need a real laugh though, go and read some of the other threads. It's wonderful, frightening, hilarious and infuriating in equal measure to remember that we, too, thought we knew everything when we were 18, although possibly not quite as overtly arrogant about it 😁

Good luck with everything - let me know how it all goes.
    Love Cazz x

ReputationRep:
    I know it's sounds maybe stupid, but I am 21 one years old starting in September this year... and 21 is considered as mature. I'm worried that I will be the only one that is older than everyone else in first year... and I am worried that somehow I will not enjoy myself thinking that I ""lost"" two years... what do you think everyone?
    Thanks for replying if you do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marimeia)
    I know it's sounds maybe stupid, but I am 21 one years old starting in September this year... and 21 is considered as mature. I'm worried that I will be the only one that is older than everyone else in first year... and I am worried that somehow I will not enjoy myself thinking that I ""lost"" two years... what do you think everyone?
    It is classed as mature but you won't be out of place. There are many people around that age at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marimeia)
    Don't worry 2 years is nothing. Focus on what u want in the future

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I certainly have earned the title 'mature' and I have twins at uni and a son about to do a Masters. I'm really looking forward to starting but have a major attack of nerves. Can I really do the work successfully? What about all these 18 year olds? How will they view me? Will I be alone in a crowd? Need some words of sanity, please. Does anyone identify with this? How did you cope/are coping?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.